Forums > General Industry > someone splain to me why bigass watermarks??

Photographer

Fade To Black

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Do whatever you want, it's your work.

If someone wants to get off by swiping a 400x600 pixel photo that would make a lousy print, and the best thing you could do is repost it somewhere else, whatever. There's bigger things to worry about.

I watermark most of my stuff, I've gone from the huge ass one down to a small corner mark. Some of my more pride-filled shots I embed the watermark physically in the photo by layer properties, make it part of the backround or something.

If you want to stream OMGCOPYRITE BY ME across your photos, that's your call. Just remember it usually has a negative side to the viewers, either it's obstructing proper viewing of your work or it's showing your insecurity.

Jul 16 06 06:46 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Before I started being obnoxious with the watermarking, my photos ended up in ALL KINDS of weird ass places online.  Tons of fake singles profiles and that sort of thing, too.  Watermarks (and DMCA compliant copyright infringement notices faxed to webhosts) have nipped that in the bud.  I almost NEVER get that sort of thing these days.  It's nice.

Magazines and books can have the non-watermarked versions.  But for web use, they've gotta be marked.

Jul 16 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

SLE Photography wrote:
I'd like to mention again this's why I use Digimarc
It's an invisible (with visible option) watermark that's encoded in to the photo & is virtually impossible to remove and is easily readable with most software
They also offer a premium service where they have bots "crawl" the web looking for your digimarced work to see if it's stolen

Except sites that remove EXIF data (such as MM) likely also remove Digimarc watermarks.

Jul 17 06 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Naoe Pix

Los Angeles, California, US

gr82bart wrote:
The ironic thing is that many of the big ass watermarks are made using pirated software. This irony will be missed by many here though. Too funny.

Regards, Art.

hehehehehehehehe

~Naoe

Jul 17 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Except sites that remove EXIF data (such as MM) likely also remove Digimarc watermarks.

I believe the Digimarc watermarks are embedded as imperceptible noise in the image data, not in an easily removed header. Thus they are more difficult to remove, although I bet there is software out there that will remove it, just haven't seen it myself.

Jul 17 06 12:28 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

starphotography wrote:

I believe the Digimarc watermarks are embedded as imperceptible noise in the image data, not in an easily removed header. Thus they are more difficult to remove, although I bet there is software out there that will remove it, just haven't seen it myself.

Someone posted a list recently on how to get around it.
But most of the losers who steal are not that clever.
Hence the need to steal.

Jul 17 06 12:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Marksora wrote:

Ha,

My bear and animals are real and magical.  They transform into different states of being.
Plus Pie Bear and her are friends.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/hanasora/DSC_8742a350kwords.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/hanasora/DSC_8737a350kwords8.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/hanasora/chickencopy.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/hanasora/pandabearsblack-omp.jpg

Are those your dogs? They are sooo cute!

Jul 17 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Yeah, with digital, it's really about raising the barrier to theft - there's generally no absolute way to stop it. Digimarc, though, is kind of like Lojack, where you don't prevent the theft, but you can track it. (assuming you don't ALSO put a visible one in)
Hey you could make some pretty good coin, by sending threatening lawsuit letters to infringers, offering to settle for $3k instead, just like the RIAA!

Jul 17 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

starphotography wrote:

How about sites (like MM) that apply additional jpg compression?  That would muck up noise in the image, no?

Jul 17 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Star

WG Rowland wrote:
Could someone show me an example of a "big ass watermark"..

Many people find my watermarks intrusive

Star

Jul 17 06 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

I also place my images with my logo for web use.

Of course for print it is another issue, and they are clean as they should be.

You can see my old images in my port with my bigger logos, but my newer ones have a smaller frame.  Sure now it is easier to steal, but I figure if they are good enough and desperate enough to photoshop it out, then there is not much else to do then not post it wich is really not help me.

I find it sick that there are those who would steal anybody else's work knowing full well what they are doing and then just casually claim be the photographer or even the model.

Mark

Jul 17 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

thanks all for the replies

Jul 17 06 12:59 am Link

Photographer

ramir

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

for me its not insecurity, i guess i don't mind if people copy the photo on their computer but hey atleast people know who took the photo. coz i have seen some of my photos get around people's computer and yeah i guess i take it as a compliment if someone uses my photo. haha

Jul 17 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Don't know the algorithm exactly, but I know it's dispersed throughout the photo, and guess that it's repeated all over, so some instances would survive the additional compression, if they were smart in designing it.

Jul 17 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Here is my copyright agent.

https://darrelllarose.ca/dark.jpg

He is very protective of my copyrights

Jul 17 06 10:19 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

ramir wrote:
for me its not insecurity, i guess i don't mind if people copy the photo on their computer but hey atleast people know who took the photo. coz i have seen some of my photos get around people's computer and yeah i guess i take it as a compliment if someone uses my photo. haha

There have been several threads and CAM threads where members have taken photos and want to know later on who is the model in the shot or some other information.

This is funny to me.   If you are going to copy someone's work then take the 2.3 seconds to write down a title of who it came from,  then you can ask the photographer who the model or makeup artist or where the location was.

And I agree that this is a valid reason to put on watermarks for so many people copy then pass images around without knowing who took the shot or who the model was.

Jul 17 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

I just play "Where's Waldo" with text.

A regular mark in the corner - but if it is stolen and recropped - then there are several copyright marks hidden as text within the image.  They are set at a transparency that is not obvious viewed on the web - but can be seen if you know where to look.

I just figure that they would be lazy and only remove the one easy-to-find mark and not mess with the three hidden texts.  If my images are only recropped - then it would be an easy matter of proving who's images they are.

But, none of my images have showed up anywhere else so far - So I'm one that's in the catagory of "Not worth stealing his work"

VintageV

Jul 17 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

To be a BIGass pain in the ass to remove for people who steal them........................Oh and for blind people too

Jul 17 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Well, I used to put a small watermarked logo along an edge of my photos.  Then I realized that it could easily be cropped off without the photo being affected in any noticeable way...

Then it occurred to me that nobody was stealing my low-rez online photos anyway.  Too heavy on the preppy stuff, not enough T&A I suppose.  So why bother...?

Jul 17 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

I have decided to only put the watermark on the back of the picture.

smile

Jul 17 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Bostic Imagery

Fredericktown, Ohio, US

It's because the Internet made the theft and resale of images even easier.  I know 3 models in Ohio that have found their photo on an advertisement for a company that they never talked to on another continent.  MM, Myspace, personal websites, they are all great places to steal images and use them for your own profit.  People just took advantage of it.

Jul 18 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the "orphan works" concept yet, and how it relates to images on the internet, which have no logo or watermark.

The US congress is considering amending copyright law, to make it fair game to copy and use the images of others, if you don't know who the original author is.

Putting your copyright notice and maybe some contact info on the images would be one way to combat this potential problem. If this proposed "copyright reform" is enacted, expect to see a lot more logos and watermarking being used, because no one will want their work to be considered "orphaned".

take care,
Glen

Jul 18 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

oldguysrule wrote:

Feel free. My work is recognizably mine. were you actually able to sell such a low resolution image as stock, i'd say bless you. just don't let me see it used.

I think this is more in your collective imaginations than a reality.

Amen.

Jul 18 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

#@$%$#%$

Jul 18 06 08:14 pm Link