Forums > General Industry > How to Be Photogenic

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

This is a good article on how to be photogenic. Ladies pay attention to number 10. (yes you have to click the link)

How to Be Photogenic
http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Photogenic

Do you hate having your picture taken because you always seem to come out looking hideous? Have you ever been on a date with someone whose online photo knocked you out but whose appearance in real life turned out to be a bit uninspiring? What’s the deal with pictures? While being photogenic just comes naturally to some people, there are a few things that anyone can do to look better in photos. Try out the tricks in this article and stop running for cover whenever the camera comes out.
Steps

1. Wear clothes with colors that suit you. Certain colors complement certain skin tones, while others tend to bring out the worst. You may have a feel for which colors you look best in, but if not do some research (check out the external links below) and some trial-and-error.

2. Hide your blemishes. The bad thing about photographs is that because they are simply frozen images of one angle in an instant in time, they can’t show all your good attributes. The good thing about them is that you can easily hide certain features you don’t like. If you’ve got a unsightly look on one side of your face, for example, don’t show the camera that side.

3. Determine your best angle. Beyond the obvious hiding of blemishes, finding the right angle for your face can be a bit more difficult. The best thing you can do is experiment using a digital camera so that you can immediately see the results of each pose. It will very quickly become obvious which angles are most flattering for you, and you can then use that angle as much as possible in the future. The classic model’s pose is to arrange your body 3⁄4 toward the camera with one foot in front of the other and one shoulder closer to the camera than the other. This isn’t the best pose for everybody, however, and it can look a little ridiculous when used in a family photo right next to Uncle Ed.

Jul 15 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Oh...I don't know.....some people seem to have been born that way.....no matter which way they face the camera.....or what clothes they wear they always look good......take me for instance....LOL

Jul 15 06 04:53 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Thanks for posting this, Mike.  smile 

As for the warning at the bottom of the page..."Sucking in your stomach will make you appear unattractive because your ribs will poke through the shirt." I agree with this, so I've always wondered why some photographers tell models to suck in their tummy.  I guess they figure that it makes the model appear a little taller, but I don't want my ribs poking out...ew...lol.  Sitting up nice and straight should be just fine rather than having to suck in your tummy for your ribs to show.

Jul 15 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Tikeya wrote:
Thanks for posting this, Mike.  smile 

As for the warning at the bottom of the page..."Sucking in your stomach will make you appear unattractive because your ribs will poke through the shirt." I agree with this, so I've always wondered why some photographers tell models to suck in their tummy.  I guess they figure that it makes the model appear a little taller, but I don't want my ribs poking out...ew...lol.  Sitting up nice and straight should be just fine rather than having to suck in your tummy for your ribs to show.

I'll take the ribs over the gut any day.

Jul 15 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
Oh...I don't know.....some people seem to have been born that way.....no matter which way they face the camera.....or what clothes they wear they always look good......take me for instance....LOL

I agree with you.  Some people transform somewhere inside the camera.  I can be looking at them and they'll look completely goofy, but look at the result and you're just shocked.  Or vice versa -- I can look at a girl that is positively gorgeous and the camera whose vote has the highest weight says, nuh uh, she ugly.  And I have to fight the camera to get a decent, not even good, shot.

Jul 15 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm not gonna read all of this shit, however, I am going to say:

You're either photogenic...OR you're NOT.

Facial symmetry is what it boils down to...and there isn't any way around that.

Jul 15 06 11:48 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Has anyone tried the technique of focusing your eyes just above the camera? What difference does that make?

Jul 16 06 01:19 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
Has anyone tried the technique of focusing your eyes just above the camera? What difference does that make?

It's interesting that you brought that up.  I'd never heard of that, and then a photographer I shot with yesterday mentioned that he doesn't like it.  He said that in his opinion when he took shots like that they ended up looking a bit eerie, and not quite right.  I wonder what other people's experience with that is.

Jul 16 06 01:42 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Shyly wrote:

It's interesting that you brought that up.  I'd never heard of that, and then a photographer I shot with yesterday mentioned that he doesn't like it.  He said that in his opinion when he took shots like that they ended up looking a bit eerie, and not quite right.  I wonder what other people's experience with that is.

I should test it out. If Jackie Kennedy really did that, I'd like to see an example.

Jul 16 06 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

ModelInstinctive wrote:

I had a friend that modeled for me. If you and I were looking at her pictures and she was there in the room, you would not know it was her. Not that her facial symetry changed but something else must have because she was cute in a room and stunning in a photo.

Jul 16 06 03:16 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

ModelInstinctive wrote:

Or, you can be Paris Hilton hehe

Jul 16 06 04:22 am Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:

I'll take the ribs over the gut any day.

Yeah.  Why is it that a rib cage is considered unattractive? Being unhealthy thin is one thing, but all well-toned, lean people are going to have some bones "showing", especially in certain poses (Like with their arms stretched over their heads, for example). I fail to see how that is unattractive.

Alan

Jul 16 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

they are talking about the ''non Pilates'' way  LOL
..a bad idea. IT's:
inhale & SUCK in tummy.
Result? Shoulders tense, ribs expanded unaturally etc

The Pilates way is way better - healthy too!!
LEVEL ONE
#
Inhale and grow taller, extending the spine and side body
KEEPING THIS as you Exhale let the ribs drop/relax & the shoulders drop/relax
BUT scoop IN your tummy ON THIS LONG EXHALE, holding it IN until breath is gently all gone

ps Crown of head still reaching up, but shoulder baldes down the back.
(practise this until you can do it with a neutral skull position, long soft neck and chest, no tension above the shoulder baldes - and a Nice smile or whatever
;-)
practise this anytime and you will get a flatter firmer tummy and protect your back
So, good luck!

Anyone interested feel free to write me for more details
i also have an on-line book PILATES for beginners you can order

xox

Jul 17 06 12:40 am Link

Model

Dominick D

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

I think yu either have it or yu don't... yes yu can learn tips to improve it. But then there are those who just have it naturaly.
As for the rib thing... I've always found the rib cage very sexy on someone. I like the shading between the bones it creates on the skin... like delicate pencil shading. I think that's beautiful.

xDDx

Jul 17 06 03:48 am Link