Forums > General Industry > Weird studio spaces

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Almost 6 years ago, I moved out of my 2,500 square foot studio/residence in a downtown commercial area and into a small house in the suburbs and began doing 100 per cent location photography.  Last fall, I re-connected with a long neglected aspect of my personal art photography and resumed doing artistic nudes.  I've managed, on several occasions, now, to turn my kitchen into a studio (bet you can't tell which photos were taken there).  When, at the beginning of a shoot the other day, I was explaining to a model how well this has worked for me, she responded that it was nothing compared to some of the weird spaces she's seen used as studios including the, less than sanitary, x-ray room in a doctor's suite of offices.

Anyone care to share stories of weird spaces that you've experienced used as studios?  I'm not talking about just any location shoot.  I'm talking about spaces with lights and backgrounds set up and frequently used as studios for shoots with models.   

Apr 24 05 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Madsen

BOISE, Idaho, US

Just curious - what makes a place that is sterilized regularly an unsanitary place?  Don't get me wrong, I do think it's weird, but don't examining rooms (and X-ray rooms) have to be sterilized frequently by law?  Maybe I'm just hoping they are since I spend a fair amount of time on doctor's offices.

Apr 24 05 05:06 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

I've used the space behind my apartment, various spots around my very small living room, and even my bathroom as makeshift studio space.

Some of the best photos taken by one of my photographers were done in the basement of his apartment. (You can't tell it's a basement.)

Apr 24 05 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Any place could be a studio in less than 10 minutes.

Apr 24 05 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Aryx

Stockton, California, US

Posted by David Madsen: 
Just curious - what makes a place that is sterilized regularly an unsanitary place?  Don't get me wrong, I do think it's weird, but don't examining rooms (and X-ray rooms) have to be sterilized frequently by law?  Maybe I'm just hoping they are since I spend a fair amount of time on doctor's offices.

As an x-ray tech who works in a hospital, here's what I can tell you...
X-ray rooms do not have to be sterilized, it's not an operating room. There are some x-ray techs who are sloppier than others. We are supposed to disinfect after each use anything that the patient touches. But I've followed some very messy techs in my time and get very angry when I bring in a patient and have to clean up after someone else in front of them. Needless to say, when it comes to the x-ray rooms, I am a clean-freak. Can't say the same about everyone.
Now, how it works in doctors' offices, I don't have a clue. Some doctors take their own x-rays and leave the cleaning up to the ancillary staff.

BTW, I've been known to sneak a model in from time to time to an x-ray room for photo-shoots. (But I made sure the room was clean, first)

Apr 24 05 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Madsen

BOISE, Idaho, US

Posted by Aryx: 
As an x-ray tech who works in a hospital, here's what I can tell you...
X-ray rooms do not have to be sterilized, it's not an operating room. There are some x-ray techs who are sloppier than others. We are supposed to disinfect after each use anything that the patient touches. But I've followed some very messy techs in my time and get very angry when I bring in a patient and have to clean up after someone else in front of them. Needless to say, when it comes to the x-ray rooms, I am a clean-freak. Can't say the same about everyone. Now, how it works in doctors' offices, I don't have a clue. Some doctors take their own x-rays and leave the cleaning up to the ancillary staff.

Good to know.

Apr 25 05 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Jim Karczewski

Hammond, Indiana, US

Nothing too strange.  Waiting to see how models will react to my newly converted garage.  I've been searching for the perfect space for over 2 years now and haven't come across it, so I decided to use my 400sq/ft garage for the time being.   I needed a reason to do some spring cleaning anyway. smile

Apr 25 05 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Jim Karr: 
Nothing too strange.  Waiting to see how models will react to my newly converted garage.  I've been searching for the perfect space for over 2 years now and haven't come across it, so I decided to use my 400sq/ft garage for the time being.   I needed a reason to do some spring cleaning anyway. smile

I remember doing shoots in my (unconverted) garage back in the early 90's.  The limitation was that I could only work out there in warm weather.

Apr 25 05 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Elemental Photo

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I just use my living room, but I HAVE used my bathroom for some and I luckily have friends who have awesome landlords that let us use their empty suites sometimes.

Apr 25 05 09:15 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

The world is my studio. I'll whip out my camera, a flash, a small stand and an umbrella and get it in! If the model can't go with the flow, it's literally her loss.

I always talk to the model before we shoot and ask if she see's anything in my portfolio that she objects to. Except for the boobs and bentleys picture, if a model objects to anything in my port, we probably won't shoot.

I don't make plans for our shoot except for location, everything else is spontaneous. It's very important that the model be open minded and have an extensive wardrobe.

But like I said, the world is my studio but I do have a brick and mortar address.

Apr 25 05 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

My clothes.........closet about a 7 foot x 6 foot walkin, with black fabric hanging and white fuzzy fur throw rug

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/ … 585347.jpg

My Lighting there was two 250 watt Philips bulbs a 100 watt fill and this all tripod shot with a Leica M6 and Fuji 100

The closet was a perfect place for retro lingerie styles....it is now so filled with clothes that it cannot be used for anything else but that now.....

Cheers

Tom

PS: I also shot a fashion shoot on a 1930`s fire escape about two weeks ago.....and nearly lost my model to a fall, (fetish boots are slippery as HELL and we were NOT thinking) So some locations while they are kool as hell looking, think twice before using them, I do now....

Apr 25 05 06:49 pm Link

Model

Aurora

Dallas, Georgia, US

I've only done.. three shots in actual studios and only one was owned by the photog. I can't say I've shot in a kitchen.. yet tongue

Apr 25 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Posted by Aurora: 
I've only done.. three shots in actual studios and only one was owned by the photog. I can't say I've shot in a kitchen.. yet tongue 

Come East for a shoot and we'll cook up some great photos in my kitchen.  LOL

Apr 25 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Norris Carden

Tullahoma, Tennessee, US

Currently shooting in parts of my basement ... Jim, you remember shooting there.

Apr 30 05 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Terry Richardson's apartment.  It's not wierd that he shoots in his apartment... but somebody mentioned something about sanitation...

Apr 30 05 10:11 pm Link

Model

Madame Cosmos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think the worst shoot I did for a clientele was westing house elevators, they were cramped, but the images came out awesome, but because it was for campaign, I cant really use it for anything less than physical tear sheets.

Apr 30 05 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Living rooms, dining rooms and kitchens have all been used by me!

Apr 30 05 10:46 pm Link