Forums > General Industry > Please help, licensing images.

Photographer

temoc

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

A few days ago I posted a topic here asking for help about how much should I charge for licensing 2 of my images because a band contacted me , they want to use them into their dvd artwork.

-I have seen a sample of the artwork and I like it.

-Its not a garage band, I think they are known, they are from the US, they play hardcore/metal rock.

- they want to print from 2000 - 5000 copies of it.

I guess that's it, I don't know what to do, I've never licensed anything, I'm just starting to get into bussiness.

Can you guys please help me?

Please forgive my spelling/grammar mistakes.

Jul 14 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

I recall your prior post.  I suggested you get a copy of “Pricing Photography”.  I further suggest you get a copies of “Business and Legal forms for Photographers” and “Law [In Plain English} for Photographers.  The two legal books are written by lawyers experienced in photographic law.  All three publications are available from Allworth Pres.  www.allworth.com

I agree Mexico City isn’t New York.  However these publications can give you basic information you need for licensing photographs.

....Thom

Jul 14 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

FotoQuote software  http://fotoquote.com/  can help to give you an idea of pricing for specific uses of photography.

Another approach might be to visit Corbis or Getty and plug in the use specs to see what similar stock photography images would license for.

-steve

Jul 15 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

ZKWC

Malibu, California, US

temoc wrote:
A few days ago I posted a topic here asking for help about how much should I charge for licensing 2 of my images because a band contacted me , they want to use them into their dvd artwork.

-I have seen a sample of the artwork and I like it.

-Its not a garage band, I think they are known, they are from the US, they play hardcore/metal rock.

- they want to print from 2000 - 5000 copies of it.

I guess that's it, I don't know what to do, I've never licensed anything, I'm just starting to get into bussiness.

Can you guys please help me?

Please forgive my spelling/grammar mistakes.

there are licensing agreements that need to be signed. are they using the images for any posters or press material? that's extra on top of the fee. and you need to get something specific from them... 2000 or 5000? 5000 would be more money than 2000. and you need to have something in the agreement that states how much more money they will pay you if they go to print again after the 5000 (or 2000) cds are sold. you should probably contact an photo agent in your area. or go to editorialphoto.com. they would be able to help find someone with the proper language to put in an agreement. and you absolutely have to have a photo credit. you have to shout about that, or they will not put it in, and it's standard practice. it's just that sometimes people are unknowlegable about photo copyrights.

Jul 15 06 02:51 am Link