Forums > General Industry > tfp's and water mark

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

hey guys i'm in the process of restructuring my business and i wanted to know if I should watermark the images before i give them to the model. What exactly is the protocal?

Jul 14 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

bump

Jul 14 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

There is no protocol. Do whatever you and the model agree upon.

Me, I watermark all images that are to be used online for portfolio work, but also offer non-watermarked images if the model signs the contract that states that all online posts must include credit.

That's not a "standard" nor is it "non-standard." It's what I do, and it's what models agree to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jul 14 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

credit
definately

water marks can spoil the images also get in the way of cropping etc which i usually have permisson to do
but tell them what you want to do and see it its ok with them

Personally I have no interest in posing for photos TFP that I can't use!
be it water marked too much or really low res
etc

Jul 14 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Suppose it's the other way around:  suppose a model & a photographer like the images they made together at a TFP session, and the photographer decides to put some of the images into his own profile.  Should he watermark the image, identifying the model?

Jul 15 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Suppose it's the other way around:  suppose a model & a photographer like the images they made together at a TFP session, and the photographer decides to put some of the images into his own profile.  Should he watermark the image, identifying the model?

I see your point

Jul 15 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Dexter Fletcher wrote:
I see your point

Well, I wasn't making a point.  In TFP situation, the photographer retains the copyright.  It is therefore fine & acceptable for the photographer to watermark the image if he so chooses.

I'm not a big believer in TFP because the photographer gets more out of the arrangement than the model (i.e. he gets the copyright & he makes the editing choices).

But then again, I'm not a big believer in watermarks either -- I keep the images I release to the Internet small & compressed, so that aren't of much value to any potential theives.  I do sign my prints, however.

Jul 15 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Trenton, North Carolina, US

No, because the model doesn't own the copyright to the photo.

Jul 15 06 11:06 pm Link