Forums > General Industry > Is it just me ?

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Curious...

Is it just me or does anyone else see a bunch of crappy photgraphy in some of the top publications too?

I am certainly not at the top of the food chain when it comes to being a talented photgrapher. I eek out a pretty good living with photgraphy and digital media in general. However, I am often facinated by the work that gets published in some of the mags. I am speaking in general.

I've seen poor shots in Victoria Secrets, Fredricks, Sport Illustrated and a slew of others. The advertisments sometimes are just aweful.

Yet, these guys are getting the gigs and the stuff is right there in print.

So, I wonder..what does it really take to be one of these photographers.

It's certainly not ALL talent.

Just wondering...

V

Jul 13 06 06:09 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

It's a shame that this doesn't seem to be rhetorical...

Hun, it's who you know.

Jul 13 06 06:34 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Vance wrote:
Curious...

Is it just me or does anyone else see a bunch of crappy photgraphy in some of the top publications too?

I am certainly not at the top of the food chain when it comes to being a talented photgrapher. I eek out a pretty good living with photgraphy and digital media in general. However, I am often facinated by the work that gets published in some of the mags. I am speaking in general.

I've seen poor shots in Victoria Secrets, Fredricks, Sport Illustrated and a slew of others. The advertisments sometimes are just aweful.

Yet, these guys are getting the gigs and the stuff is right there in print.

So, I wonder..what does it really take to be one of these photographers.

It's certainly not ALL talent.

Just wondering...

V

No...it's just you.....I wonder myself how some pretty weak imagery gets into print on a national level....

I'm not claiming mine is better....just I would expect on national ad campaigns it would be better than mine.......

Recently saw an ad in a very prestisious area magazine and could not believe that anyone calling themselves "professional" would even let anyone see much less have it in a magazine......but what I do know.....if the photo/creative editor and the photographer are "tight"....a lot of stuff gets into print that ordinarily would not.

Jul 13 06 07:43 am Link

Model

AuLa

West Hollywood, California, US

When you're at the top, you can break rules, and create new ones.

Jul 13 06 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Aussie Guevara wrote:
When you're at the top, you can break rules, and create new ones.

Yeah kind of like getting a degree and then goin gon to find out what the JOB REALLY takes once you get out there. LOL

Who you know? Hmmmm, yeah. Though I know alot of heavy hitters in Hollywood have a top producer as a client. Havent had a bone thrown yet, though they all say how talented I am. HA! Funny thing is I do everything except photgraphy for them, though I know they have see much of it. I must suck! LOL....

It would be nice to be able to say my stuff was in a few top mags...I shall keep pressing the buttons.

Oh yeah!

Jul 13 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Vance wrote:

Yeah kind of like getting a degree and then goin gon to find out what the JOB REALLY takes once you get out there. LOL

Who you know? Hmmmm, yeah. Though I know alot of heavy hitters in Hollywood have a top producer as a client. Havent had a bone thrown yet, though they all say how talented I am. HA! Funny thing is I do everything except photgraphy for them, though I know they have see much of it. I must suck! LOL....

It would be nice to be able to say my stuff was in a few top mags...I shall keep pressing the buttons.

Oh yeah!

Vance, you've got talent and I've often said although who listens to me that
many of those here could shoot for most of the current magazines published.
In fact most of those here tend to be more creative then what we often see.
You seem to be doing well one thing I've noticed is that at least one well
known photographer on MM used to shoot lots of editoral style fashion shots
for free for several magazines.  He has now stopped I think but it got him
noticed.  Don't know if you would want to go that route.  These weren't the
major magazines but lots of the free giveaways, hair and fashion styled lower
level mags.  Although some were well known.  Just a thought...

Jul 13 06 09:24 pm Link