Model

Rebecca G

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was just curious if any of you have used Mystic Tan before? Its a spray machine that spray you for about 30 seconds and the tan is suppose to last up to 5 days. I have never tried it before but it have crossed my mind...The reason why I don't want to tan in the sun is because I dont want to be expose to UV rays, and it will increase the chance of skin cancer. so if any of you have any experienced with spray tan, please let me know! Thanks! Any other tanning advice is appreciated!

Jul 13 06 12:03 am Link

Model

Dee W

Owings Mills, Maryland, US

me and my sis have tried pretty much everything..but from now on i get my tan from a bottle..quick and easy

Jul 13 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Stick to chemical tans.

I live in Southern California. I automatically subtract ten years from my estimate of anyone's age here due to excessive sun damage. Compared to Seattle or even New York, women, especially, here are severely sun damaged. Crows feet at 18! Deep lines in the forehead at 25! My mother didn't get those until she was well over 50 and she was a farm girl and literally grew up on horseback. No, she didn't have a olive complexion, She was Highland Scot and Norman.  I see so many pre-cancerous lesions when I'm retouching I feel like a dermatologist.

Stay out of the sun. Tell anyone who wants you to get a "real" tan to go straight to you know where.

Jul 13 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Artificial tanning is for the ego of the model. For photography it's contraproductive.

It's not attractive in photos and it screws up the edit workflow. It's like trying to compensate for too much makeup. Trying to adjust for magenta skin in Photoshop drives me nuts.

Jul 13 06 02:02 am Link

Model

Vanessa Dailey

Portland, Oregon, US

i hated it.

it came out streaky and darker in some places

&its a bitch to get off

>

Jul 13 06 05:28 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Jul 13 06 05:51 am Link

Model

Heidi Lynne

Centreville, Maryland, US

Corena beat me to it....

but go with SUNEMBRACE airbrush tanning, not the Mystic.

Jul 13 06 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Technoir Photo Central

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I just wanted to congratulate all of you for being smart enough to not engage in the ridiculous tanning exercises. The advent of tanning salons has to be one of the most ridiculous trends I've seen, alongside purchasing bottled water in developed countries. Of course maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Regardless, whether it's because of the fewer wrinkles or the reduced chance of skin cancer, your body will thank you. smile

Jul 13 06 06:18 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

A model paid me for a portfolio shoot last week. She turned up ORANGE. I kid you not. I have no idea what she was thinking. Both I and the makeup artist yelled at her. Hopefully she'll stop that.

Her coloration is so odd that I'm having to use color-correction techniques I've never even *tried* before to fix her without making it look like she's living on Planet Warhol. (Yes I could mask her out but I might as well learn some heavy-duty color correction flow since I have the, um, "opportunity.")

Should've charged her more.

M

Jul 13 06 07:48 am Link

Model

Bailee Martini

Jacksonville, Alabama, US

ok, maybe this thread will help me....i have many uneven, strange blotches from where i have tanned through bathing suits, etc., and recently my skin only peeled in one area and then was done, leaving me with a tan arm and a large pink spot in addition to my other weird tan lines. i considered tanning only a few times, as i have heard that this will even out tan lines and give you a fresh start. i dont need skin cancer advice if i plan on tanning 3 times or so- i just need to know if that would work. does tanning a few times even out blotches, or is there something else i can try? i really need help on this one. thanks!

Jul 13 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

I always laugh at my MELANIN DEFICIENT friends.. I just scream at them every summer and say "YOU ARE WHITE, LIVE WITH IT.. Blame your Parents !!!" LMAO

So if you are pasty and pale, be proud of your pasty paleness.. I keep hearing people talk about those chemical tans as being SAFE, when none of that has been around long enough to be proven safe..

I would hate to hear 10 years from now that those who were not blessed with a natural tan, end up with some bizarre condition from trying to get it from a bottle.

Jul 13 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Heidi Lynne wrote:
Corena beat me to it....

but go with SUNEMBRACE airbrush tanning, not the Mystic.

I have a complete airbrush tanning system and use it often.  Air Brush is far better than the booth.  In a booth, what you do is to stand there and assume different poses.  It is axiomatic that some areas get better coverage than others.

Beware though, as the stuff wears off, it becomes uneven.  So either be prepared to do it weekly or to have several days at the end where you do not look good.

Jul 13 06 08:25 am Link

Model

Bailee Martini

UIPHOTOS wrote:
I always laugh at my MELANIN DEFICIENT friends.. I just scream at them every summer and say "YOU ARE WHITE, LIVE WITH IT.. Blame your Parents !!!" LMAO

So if you are pasty and pale, be proud of your pasty paleness.. I keep hearing people talk about those chemical tans as being SAFE, when none of that has been around long enough to be proven safe..

I would hate to hear 10 years from now that those who were not blessed with a natural tan, end up with some bizarre condition from trying to get it from a bottle.

i want to be pasty and proud! but not until i can even out these bad tan lines....can anyone help?

Jul 13 06 08:36 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

doubled *sigh*

Jul 13 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

baelie wrote:
i want to be pasty and proud! but not until i can even out these bad tan lines....can anyone help?

More tanning will NOT help.  You can't "even out" a tan.  The dark areas will get darker & stay darker longer with exposure as the other areas fade, leaving you uneven again.  The "pink" areas are damage, and more UV will make them worse.
Start using sunblock & weaing protective clothes ALL the time & let it fade out.  Make sure you moisturize.

Jul 13 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Michael LaPolla

Utica, New York, US

never use sunscreen or any chemicals on the skin....those chemicals are worse that the sun.The sun gives you vitamin D!You can take skin herbs to boost your natural skin cells!

Jul 13 06 10:05 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Michael LaPolla wrote:
never use sunscreen or any chemicals on the skin....those chemicals are worse that the sun.The sun gives you vitamin D!You can take skin herbs to boost your natural skin cells!

Uh...yeah, ok.
Come live in central Florida where an hour driving can layer a sunburn on your arm & we have one of the highest skin cancer rates in the US just from regular exposure.
Australia had the highest national skin cancer rate in the world & started a sunscreen campaign there & the cancer rate has dropped like a rock.  So apparently those chemicals did more good than harm.

Jul 13 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

You guys think the spray-tans are bad for shoots!
I had a model show up once who'd decided it'd be a "good idea" to tan the day before a shoot.  She showed up a lovely red-orange color with PALE white bikini lines that were both so large & so bright they showed thru or around 2/3rds of her clothes.  Her skin was so dry the makeup wasn't sticking right.  She couldn't move because it hurt so much.  Ugh.  What a waste.

Jul 13 06 10:16 am Link

Model

Mila Rodriguez1

Dallas, Texas, US

YES I HAVE USE IT AND ITS AWESOME, I LOVE IT!!!! BUT IT DOES NOT LAST FOR FIVE DAYS, ITS MORE LIKE TWO DAYS THE MOST THAT IT STAYS ON. YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT THE UVA RAYS SO STAY OUT OF THE TANNING BEDS!!! BETTER TO TAN OUTSIDE THEN THE BEDS BUT I WOULD JUST SITCK WITH MYSTIC. ITS GREAT! JUST REMEMBER TO COVER YOUR NAILS WITH LOTS OF LOTION AND YOUR FEET OR ELSE YOUR NAILS WOULD TURN YELLOW.

Jul 13 06 10:21 am Link

Model

Bailee Martini

SLE Photography wrote:

More tanning will NOT help.  You can't "even out" a tan.  The dark areas will get darker & stay darker longer with exposure as the other areas fade, leaving you uneven again.  The "pink" areas are damage, and more UV will make them worse.
Start using sunblock & weaing protective clothes ALL the time & let it fade out.  Make sure you moisturize.

my problem is that, when i get tan lines, they stay for about a year-they dont fade out. its too much to ask anyone to photoshop, and i dont want to not model for a year!!! i need some sort of solution. i talked to someone who went tanning regularly and they said tanning a few times will even out lines. i recently got a dark tan on my arm after a cross country drive while wearing a t shirt, and i had a white shoulder. the next few days i wore a tank top and the dramatic line faded into my normal skin color and everything blended, the part that was already dark didnt get comparably darker. this is why i would think tanning might work. has anyone had any personal experience with this, and not just speculation? thanks though SLE, i am trying to avoid skin damage as much as possible while getting even skin.

Jul 13 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey Rich Creative

Brighton, New York, US

My standard advice for models is no tanning or a week before a shoot.  If they need a tan we can apply a spray tan at the start of the shoot.  It takes a while to work so we can do some shots with a paler look and later shots with a tanner look.  Some people require more than one application.  The one I use if Neutrogena spray mist.  The mist is more even that the lotion or foam and does not require any touching that may make the model or photographer uncomfortable.  It also does not discolor the palm of your hands as do the lotions and foams.
I also find that how well it works is very dependent on the person.  If the model tans well they are more likely to take the mist well.  It does give a natural look whereas a "real" recent tan produces redness that is a challenge in Photoshop.  The camera picks up red tones more readily that the eye does.  I hope this helps.

Jul 13 06 10:43 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

baelie wrote:

my problem is that, when i get tan lines, they stay for about a year-they dont fade out. its too much to ask anyone to photoshop, and i dont want to not model for a year!!! i need some sort of solution. i talked to someone who went tanning regularly and they said tanning a few times will even out lines. i recently got a dark tan on my arm after a cross country drive while wearing a t shirt, and i had a white shoulder. the next few days i wore a tank top and the dramatic line faded into my normal skin color and everything blended, the part that was already dark didnt get comparably darker. this is why i would think tanning might work. has anyone had any personal experience with this, and not just speculation? thanks though SLE, i am trying to avoid skin damage as much as possible while getting even skin.

I wore capris sitting at the pool, and the next time I wore shorts, I realized my lower legs had tanned. Weird tan, I'd say. I call it the capri tan...

next time I went to the pool, I wore a bikini. My legs tanned, and my "capri tan" just got darker.

In your case, of course it may seem to be fading the dramatic lines, but think about it...if you are going from white to tan, it will be more noticeable than if you are going from tan to brown. You got darker, it just wasn't as noticeable anymore. But I highly doubt you really evened out.

If you want to even out, exfoliate often and wear sunscreen, especially in the already dark places.

Jul 13 06 10:53 am Link

Model

Bailee Martini

Angel Tara wrote:

I wore capris sitting at the pool, and the next time I wore shorts, I realized my lower legs had tanned. Weird tan, I'd say. I call it the capri tan...

next time I went to the pool, I wore a bikini. My legs tanned, and my "capri tan" just got darker.

In your case, of course it may seem to be fading the dramatic lines, but think about it...if you are going from white to tan, it will be more noticeable than if you are going from tan to brown. You got darker, it just wasn't as noticeable anymore. But I highly doubt you really evened out.

If you want to even out, exfoliate often and wear sunscreen, especially in the already dark places.

i guess ill have to try it. thanks guys.

Jul 13 06 10:56 am Link

Model

Sindia

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I use Jergens Natural Glow daily.. it gives you a nice glow and I also use L'Oreal Sublime Bronze.. the first week everyday then after use it like every 2-3 days.. while using the jergens.

Jul 13 06 11:00 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Angel Tara wrote:

Here is my evening out plan.

I wear so much sunscreen it's ridiculous ( it's not even mid-july and I'm on my 4th bottle of the summer) but still I am darker on my arms and shoulders than anywhere else, and I'm starting to have noticable bikini lines. SO. I'm going to put the strongest I can find in the house  ( sunblock 50?) on my shoulders, Then 30 on my legs, then 15 on my chest and tooshie, and head out to the nude beach a few blocks from my house...a few hours frolicing with my sunblock conconction should make things a little better.

Jul 13 06 11:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Michael LaPolla wrote:

Oh lordie...

Anyway, Jergens and Olay moisturizers give the best glow.  Also, every other day I use Loreal Sublime self tanner gel mixed with my SPF 30! facial moisturizer and blend in.  Gives a great natural glow.

Jul 13 06 11:54 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Nemi Bea wrote:
Here is my evening out plan.

I wear so much sunscreen it's ridiculous ( it's not even mid-july and I'm on my 4th bottle of the summer) but still I am darker on my arms and shoulders than anywhere else, and I'm starting to have noticable bikini lines. SO. I'm going to put the strongest I can find in the house  ( sunblock 50?) on my shoulders, Then 30 on my legs, then 15 on my chest and tooshie, and head out to the nude beach a few blocks from my house...a few hours frolicing with my sunblock conconction should make things a little better.

LMAO

You shouldn't have announced that! LOL, now you will have paparazzi meeting you at the beach!

I'm going to go to the pool in a bikini and leg warmers. Uh huh, that should take care of the "capri tan", LOL!

Jul 13 06 12:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

just so you know fake tans can be a NIGHTMARE for make-up artists.

if you do the whole tanning in a bottle thing, tell the makeup artist IMMEDIATELY.

Jul 13 06 01:30 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Angel Tara wrote:

LMAO

You shouldn't have announced that! LOL, now you will have paparazzi meeting you at the beach!

I'm going to go to the pool in a bikini and leg warmers. Uh huh, that should take care of the "capri tan", LOL!

lol seriously, try putting 30 on your capri tan.

Jul 13 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Artificial tanning is for the ego of the model. For photography it's contraproductive.

It's not attractive in photos and it screws up the edit workflow. It's like trying to compensate for too much makeup. Trying to adjust for magenta skin in Photoshop drives me nuts.

You're my new hero.  smile

And I don't even do color.

Jul 13 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Angel Tara wrote:

baelie wrote:
i guess ill have to try it. thanks guys.

Tara's advice is good.  Your "farmer's tan" si why always wearing sunblock & protective clothing is important.  Different people DO fade at different rates, but in your case you'd be better off to use one of the full-body artifical tans to even you out than to try real tanning.
I shudder at the number of models I see (especially in the bikini & fitness genres) who're 25 & look 40.

Jul 13 06 06:08 pm Link

Model

Raquelle Berry

Beverly, Kansas, US

Mystic Tan = no good. I've found it's expensive and just a waste of money. You have to put this stuff called barrier cream on your hands and feet so that they don't turn orange but if you don't put enough on or any on your nails they'll turn a weird color... And if you don't whipe it off evenly when you're doing getting sprayed you'll have streak marks. Better off with one of the bronzer lotions or airbrush by a person.

Jul 13 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen Weaver

Orlando, Florida, US

Granted I'm a photographer - and don't care what I look like in pictures....

But I'm also a 25 year old socialite (ha, I use the term loosely) recently diagnosed with skin cancer.

Who knows what contributed to this - my fair German heritage, my dad who never put sunscreen on me when I was a kid (resulting in many 2nd degree burns), my years of tanning in high school, or now that I live in Florida - any way it happened, it happened.

So I applaud everyone for living on the "bottle" (sunless tanning).

And yeah, use liberally so all of us poor photographers don't have to spend hours at the computer UN-tanning you.

smile  All my love! --- Kristen

Jul 13 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

When your nails turn orange from it because they are not covered with whatever, that should tell you right there what your doing to your skin. Stay natural and get good with colors for wardrobe, makeup ect. You can do more with what you have naturaly then what your trying to cover up because it looks terrible.

Like stated already, its too new to determine if it is safe or not but also consider what may be safe for someone else could not be safe for you.

Jul 13 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Nothing is safe.    But the chances of dying from any single thing is extremely small.  Even 19 out of 20 smokers don't die from lunng cancer.

Quit listening to the news.  Just worrying about all the crap that can kill you probably knocks a bunch of years off your life.

Jul 13 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Dave Krueger wrote:
Nothing is safe.    But the chances of dying from any single thing is extremely small.  Even 19 out of 20 smokers don't die from lunng cancer.

Quit listening to the news.  Just worrying about all the crap that can kill you probably knocks a bunch of years off your life.

No, the rest die from heart disease, strokes, emphysema... LOL

It's VERY well established that too much sun leads to serious skin cancers, and they form faster and earlier and with less exposure than almost anything else.  It's the fastest growing form of cancer among those UNDER 30.
Not to mention that for models it WRECKS their skin.
So I'd say it's something to worry about, more than the fake tans.

Jul 13 06 10:38 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Kristen Weaver wrote:
Granted I'm a photographer - and don't care what I look like in pictures....

But I'm also a 25 year old socialite (ha, I use the term loosely) recently diagnosed with skin cancer.
*snip*

smile  All my love! --- Kristen

OMG,

I am so sorry. I am a cancer survivor myself. I will keep you in my prayers!

Jul 14 06 12:16 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

my first double post...wow lol

Jul 14 06 12:18 am Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

I talked to a photographer that does mostly swimwear and he told me I should tan. I am very sensitive to the sun and end up getting moles and little red dots when I am in the sun, so I was considering going to a salon to get the spray on or airbrush tan. I live in California so I have the farmer's tan from driving, it is 100's here this week.
Kisses,
MEL

Jul 14 06 12:34 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Sindia wrote:
I use Jergens Natural Glow daily.. it gives you a nice glow and I also use L'Oreal Sublime Bronze.. the first week everyday then after use it like every 2-3 days.. while using the jergens.

i got the same  two!

ok, but I'm really not that impressed tho. There is one in UK from BOOTS company
No 7

its awesome,

who's gonna get me some???

Jul 22 06 04:03 am Link