Forums > General Industry > Who pays Who (Whom)?

Photographer

ActionShots Photo

Barboursville, West Virginia, US

Should a shoots financial consideration reflect the content being shot? or does it matter?

If a photographer is putting the model into his vision for the shoot, should he/she be making the money?

If a model is handling themselves with poses and their personal vision for the shoot, should they be walking away with the cash?

Shouldn't that be a determining factor in "passing the bucks?"

Jul 12 06 06:04 pm Link

Model

Julie Montana

Kalispell, Montana, US

Thats always a hard subject. I believe each shoot will determine who is paid or if its a mutual agreement, maybe TFP is best. I am one who isnt in this to get rich, I do it for the love of the art. But I do know as well as anyone each party (photog& Model ) Put out alot of expense.
       I see both sides and I really know it takes two to make a great image. I do see how much work a photog has to do, so i respect that and understand all they do. Some models dont put out enough effort in my opinion as far as buying outfits, paying for travel ect. So in that case I really feel the photog has the upper hand. As I said I do it for the love of it and the joy it brings me. I put out 100 % in effort, outfits makeup and travel. So many are in this just for money, and thats
       great if they can do it. But for me the enjoyment from a shoot and the outcome are key. Julie

Jul 12 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

jerrell edwards

Richmond, Virginia, US

ive always know it about who is hiring whom and the purpose
If Im hired by a client to shoot a model i give the model a small cut but normallyt hat means i secured the client arranged location and styling, im doing the posing, shooting and editing.
If the model hires me after shes been hired by a client she has the right to do the same
I look at it as a line and the person at the back gets paid less.
If its a model and photog doing a colab on pics being sold a 50/50 (or close to it) should work.
Its really a balance of work
Im my shoots i do most of the work: arranging models, locations, appointing clothing, setting up theme and 95% of the poses. Plus shooting and editing so obviously Id feel i deserve the largest cut.
Just do whats fair with the bigger cut going to the person doing the most work
Ive always said there are few good photos, a lot of good models and a ton of OK models. In other words its earier for a photog to find a good model than it is for a model to find a good photog
Hope that helps
Enjoy the Mayhem!

Jul 12 06 06:55 pm Link

Model

Julie Montana

Kalispell, Montana, US

I forgot to ask a question myself. I always see photogs and models that say they dont do ANY TFP!!!!!!! Yet they all shoot together, so who is paying who?????

Jul 12 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Julie Montana wrote:
Thats always a hard subject. I believe each shoot will determine who is paid or if its a mutual agreement, maybe TFP is best. I am one who isnt in this to get rich, I do it for the love of the art. But I do know as well as anyone each party (photog& Model ) Put out alot of expense.
       I see both sides and I really know it takes two to make a great image. I do see how much work a photog has to do, so i respect that and understand all they do. Some models dont put out enough effort in my opinion as far as buying outfits, paying for travel ect. So in that case I really feel the photog has the upper hand. As I said I do it for the love of it and the joy it brings me. I put out 100 % in effort, outfits makeup and travel. So many are in this just for money, and thats
       great if they can do it. But for me the enjoyment from a shoot and the outcome are key. Julie

If more folks had Julie's attitude and approach to this thing we called "creative photography" we would probably all be a lot happier.  Words well spoken as always... good to see you on the forums.

Jul 12 06 07:00 pm Link

Model

Julie Montana

Kalispell, Montana, US

RS thanks, if more People had the drive you had it would be some world!!! I have shot with RS 2 times, and each has not only been a shoot, but a memory that I will never forget. I enjoyed it SOOOOO much. RS you are awesome!!

Jul 12 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

If it's for business, then the buyer pays the seller. This direction and amount should usually hinge on the quality of the photos or the value of the model. If someone wants to charge for their service, then it's our decision if we want to pay or not.

If it's for art, then it's usually a collaborative effort.

If it's for self promotion, then we all help each other. High quality portfolios can be developed by working with nice people.

My career has been developing and selling products. Photography is my avocation and hobby. I refuse to allow photography to become a business, so I don't charge. It's a creative outlet, and I don't want to kill the buzz. If you can book me, I'm free.

As a gentleman and host, I often pick up expenses.

Jul 12 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

cnphoto

West Jordan, Utah, US

Photgraphers don't pay models. The Photographers client does. The fee should be based on usage. Since i do little to no commercial work (Weddings and family portraits mostly) I never have a job where a client is budgeting for a model. I like to shoot models for the fun of it, and to try out ideas... So I would prefer to do TFP/CD.

Jul 12 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Carl Nielsen wrote:
Photgraphers don't pay models. The Photographers client does.

Spoken like a commercial photographer, one who typically gets hired by a paying client before the exposures are made.

What about photographic artists, who create "art" that is to be sold in galleries?  There is no "client" that is hiring the photographer; there are only patrons after the fact.

What about stock photographers, who create images that are perhaps sold afterwards?

My rule of thumb is that the party who gets to retain the copyright probably should be compensating the other parties involved.

Jul 13 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
My rule of thumb is that the party who gets to retain the copyright probably should be compensating the other parties involved.

The photographer almost always retains the copyright, in commercial, artistic, "testing", commissioned shoots, and TFPs.  That is true regardless of who is paying.  You can have that "rule of thumb" all you want, but the industry doesn't work that way.

Jul 13 06 09:49 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

It's usually pretty simple for me. If a photographer wants to use me for his concept or simply because he knows I can pose, he hires me. If I feel a photographer could benefit my portfolio, we do TFP.

Jul 13 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Jul 13 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Carl Nielsen wrote:
Photgraphers don't pay models. The Photographers client does.

I pay models for shoots when I want the look of that model in my portfolio. It's really a simple rule (at least for me).....pay for what you need.....get paid for what you don't.

Jul 13 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Hi Julie
I wish more model's were like you...
I have done a lot of shooting over the 4 months now and you were an absolute joy to work with... You had traveled all day, you got into the hotel late... And once we started shooting you went out of your way to help me get what I was wanting to get as a photographer.
It wasn't about $$ it was about the final images... Which I think we got some fantastic ones together.
What a lot of models don't understand is the amount of work that goes on before and after the shoot by the photographers and with Ken being a photographer you have a very good understanding of that.
So when it comes to paying.. I don't know about getting paid that often yet, but I hope to.. as for paying I haven't yet and unless it is for a paying client I do see me paying anyone soon.

Dave

Julie Montana wrote:

Jul 13 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

TXPhotog wrote:
The photographer almost always retains the copyright, in commercial, artistic, "testing", commissioned shoots, and TFPs.  That is true regardless of who is paying.  You can have that "rule of thumb" all you want, but the industry doesn't work that way.

First, your tone is inappropriate.

Second, my point is that not all photographers are participants in this "industry", as you seem to define it.  Some photographers are for hire & earn their living by being hired to produce photographs that meet their clients' needs.  In that case, it seems perfectly fine to me for that client to compensate the photographer, model, MUA, location, etc.  But other photographers are working artists, making images that satisfy their own personal vision.  Some of these artists can support themselves by selling prints at galleries or perhaps by licensing them after the fact.  These photographers seem to fall outside your definition of "the industry".  Are you suggesting that models who pose for these photographers don't deserve compensation?

Jul 13 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

The client pays.  Always.

Sometimes, the client is also the photographer.  Sometimes the client is also the model.

It depends on who needs the images most.

And it's "whom".

Jul 13 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Brian Diaz wrote:
The client pays.  Always.

Sometimes, the client is also the photographer.  Sometimes the client is also the model.

It depends on who needs the images most.

And it's "whom".

Nicely put, Brian! I've never seen it said more clearly and economically. I would have said exactly the same thing -- except I would have needed fourteen paragraphs to say it. . . .

Paul

Jul 14 06 08:41 am Link