Forums > General Industry > Sexy Photos and Creativity

Photographer

Thorn Hill Studios

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

I'm working with a new model on Saturday, and she wants some sexy photos. It's her first shoot, and I recommended we work on getting her some nice portfolio shots first.

We're going to be shooting outdoors along the waterfron in the city park (public places) in the evening during the couple of hours before sunset.

Any thoughts on how to break out of my norm and be more creative?

Also, how to keep the model feeling relaxed and at ease, and still be able to put in the charm if the time and place permits?

Thanks for suggestions and ideas.

Jul 12 06 06:42 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Francis Moran wrote:
Also, how to keep the model feeling relaxed and at ease, and still be able to put in the charm if the time and place permits?

Thanks for suggestions and ideas.

Are you trying to photograph her or seduce her???

I'm no stranger to "sexy" photos....but have never had to charm the model....simply explain where things are going....what you're looking for in the end result.....keep it clean and professional.....

Nothing will kill a shoot faster than "seduction".....

Jul 12 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Thorn Hill Studios

No, no, no.  I understand all that.  It's the model that wants the photos to be sexy. She wants sexy photos. This is her idea.

Jul 12 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

hey, be careful with the outdoors...

Jul 12 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

I'm no stranger to "sexy" photos....but have never had to charm the model....simply explain where things are going....what you're looking for in the end result.....keep it clean and professional.....

LISTEN CAREFULLY TO THIS ALL YOU YOUNGINS!

Jul 12 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

get some caution tape and sexy schoolgirl outfit.

Jul 12 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Jul 12 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Thorn Hill Studios

No offense taken. Thanks for the advice.  My plan, and I told her this - and this is not rocket science - for our first shoot is: let's get some nice portfolio images; some headshots/portraits, three-quarter & full etc., in a few different outfits and poses.

That way we get to know each and get comfortable working together. She is totally new, and 20 yrs old. She likes that plan. I'll get a better sense of what she wants and what she means by "sexy photos" by meeting with her in person, and if I would even want to work with her again.

She's going to visit the hair & makeup stylist I've used with other models and she'll get some wardrobe ideas from them as well.

There are some photogs in my area whose style already encompases nudes, but I haven't met them yet, don't know their reps, and wouldn;t want to steer her in the wrong direction. (yet!) justkidding

Jul 12 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Jul 12 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

ActionShots Photo

Barboursville, West Virginia, US

There is big difference between 'sexy' and 'slutty'...

Your kitty shot would be really sexy with a slightly dropped chin, eyes looking slightly up to you, and framed much tighter (but leave at least part of the ears in it).

What I usually get from a rookie is NOT a sexy look the first time around... it usually comes off looking either bored or pissed. When I say that to them it usually helps loosen things up a bit.

Jul 12 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

Maybe we're intrepretting things differently but I think it depends.  Sometimes it's better to "evoke" the look you want than just saying "now be sexy".  It's possible to do that and still be clean a professional.  The clinical approach doesn't work for everyone.

I think it really depends on the model and the photographers own style.

Some models just have it, whether from experience or naturally, and can give it with just a simple direction.  Others it's not so easy but obviously you don't want to make them uncomfortable, so you have to judge how best to approach it.

And for the photographers, we each have our own way of doing things that works for us.  Some of us are just goofy and the cool seductive thing doesn't work, others can be extremely charming (but that doesn't mean creepy or making unwanted advances etc.).  IMO, the way a photographer works with a model is as much a part of his/her individual style as lighting, composition etc. and needs to be developed just like the rest with practice.

Jul 12 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

MALINDA

San Francisco, California, US

Before you start your shoot, tell the model that if you ask or direct her to do anything that feels uncomfortable, that she can tell you and you guys can go in another direction. Models feel comfortable doing things in an atmosphere of trust.
Also, first see what poses the model does on her own before you start directing her. Even though she is a newbie, posing sexy might come natural to her.

Everyone has an different idea of what sexy is...so as her photographer, you can ask her to define what sexy is, and have her show you images/tearsheets she would like to "re-create". Then you can get more of an idea of what she wants.

-YUMYUM

Jul 12 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Francis Moran wrote:
Any thoughts on how to break out of my norm and be more creative?

Collect up a wide variety of clips in a folder of images you think she might be interested in trying. Then use your Windows Print Wizard to print them out 9 to a page.

Take a marking pen, and after the opening head shots, 3/4, full body, sitting, standing, etc., warmup, then hand the pack of clips to her with a bright marking pen and tell her to circle anything she likes.

Explore from there. Replicate and add in your own imagination. You will come up with things that are your own, based on your style and the style, look and posing of the model.

After organizing my plan the night before, I can usually shoot for about 10 hours straight, shooting from the hip with ad-lib variety, but sometimes I have to stop and reboot my brain with a cold Becks beer. That's a good time to flip through whatever she circles, and let the creative juices flow in that direction.

Don't try to copy the clips, because it will slow you down and flop. Just use it as a general direction to lean, and to get out of thinking ruts.

Click Hamilton
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

https://mk23.image.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/62175207.w0R2x35H.2006061510103w.jpg
ODD JOBS
http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/odd_jobs

Jul 12 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Here are some more ideas to help you ...

Sit down at your keyboard, pour a nice glass of wine or a cool beer, or any favorite beverage, and surf ...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=I … instorming

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … tnG=Search

See if you can look up a guy named Michael Vance and his formerly famous "Five Sensing Techniques" -- in the late 60's and 70's he was the Creative Director for Disneyland. If you can get ahold of his old tape sets, they are fantastic for learning how the ideas flow using storeyboards at the Disney think tanks.

Surf around. Go any direction that inspires you. Find your edge and push it.

Study classic art, deconstruct what you see and develop your own list of techniques to find your own best style. Go to the bookstore and look at slick expensive ads in racy popular magazines. Analyze and deconstruct.

Take notes. Sketch thumbnails. Bring it from the inside out. Take your camera and photograph the ads you like so you can organize your thoughts on your computer.

Have fun. Let the good times roll.

https://k43.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/56244012.200602171095w.jpg
From PALINDROMES
http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/palindromes

Jul 12 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

d artiste provocateur

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Solid post Click!  Solid advice.

Jul 12 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Thorn Hill Studios

Wow! This has all been great advice & comments.  Thanks

Very nice idea to do the print out and let the model circle the images she likes (as opposed to me showing her a bunch of photos and telling her this is what I'd like to do one day).

Nice comment from the model's perspective about letting her chime in when she feels anything uncomfortable.

And great advice about letting the model just work her own natural magic at first, without any direction from me, see how that goes, and then take it from there.

And yes, definately, working with an experienced glamour model is going to be key.

Jul 12 06 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

I just got home from dinner, music and carousing, and I'm still thinking about your question. I love the whole process of brainstorming.

I surfed a little about those old tapes I mentioned above, and the set I was thinking about is called Creative Thinking by Mike Vance. Not Michael. His technique is called 5-sensing, but it's under the title Creative Thinking. It's 6 tapes that were published in 1987. It's not about photography ... it's about creative thinking to develop ideas. It's what he lead people to do in the creative department at Disney for many years. It works for developing photo theme ideas as well.

For example, one example (from my foggy memory many years ago) was that they were making film themes and they wanted to brainstorm Christmas as a theme. The 5-sensing idea is basically to start casting ideas onto the storyboard about how we can smell christmas, hear christmas, feel christmas, etc. ... then how to translate those into images the viewer can feel in all those senses.

I thought it was quite nice for thinking of ways to make our photos more multi-dimensional and detailed. Some photographers try to make "three levels" or "five levels" of contrast or ideas or graphic layout working together to guarantee an interesting photo. Add to that the look of smell, or the look of sound, or the look of touch, etc., and the image becomes more powerful.

I saw another book at the bookstore once called "Sensual Living" and the author did something similar with photo images for several sensations. Indeed, it was a very sensual book. She made images for touch, feel, etc., and they were more a matter of textures, colors and shapes, but if you apply that process to a beautiful girl who wants to model "sexy" for you, you will have some awesome gallery photos.

Let me search it for you now ....

Yep, found it: Sensual Living by Claire Lloyd

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184091 … 09?ie=UTF8

Haha ... "19 new and used, available from $1.05"  .. wow!  If we could convey the sensual feeling she does in her book photos (It's basically a photo book), and apply it to a woman as our subject ... it would be just great.

Food for thought

::: sipping my beloved ice cold Beck's beer as I decompress at 10 minutes before midnight here tonight:::

Life is sweet

Click Hamilton
San Diego
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

https://misheli.image.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/62979383.vE4H49hV.200606252733w.jpg
From Banana Happy
http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/bananahappy

Jul 13 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Gary Davis wrote:

Maybe we're intrepretting things differently but I think it depends.  Sometimes it's better to "evoke" the look you want than just saying "now be sexy".  It's possible to do that and still be clean a professional.  The clinical approach doesn't work for everyone.

I think it really depends on the model and the photographers own style.

Some models just have it, whether from experience or naturally, and can give it with just a simple direction.  Others it's not so easy but obviously you don't want to make them uncomfortable, so you have to judge how best to approach it.

And for the photographers, we each have our own way of doing things that works for us.  Some of us are just goofy and the cool seductive thing doesn't work, others can be extremely charming (but that doesn't mean creepy or making unwanted advances etc.).  IMO, the way a photographer works with a model is as much a part of his/her individual style as lighting, composition etc. and needs to be developed just like the rest with practice.

I agree.....but the lines are so thin these days and how often have we heard models complain about photographers coming on to them......just saying one needs to be aware and careful.....

Jul 13 06 07:47 am Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

When I am working with a model for stuff that is suppose be sexy and seductive, I ask them to simply think of the lens (and not the fat bald disgusting looking behind the camera) and seduce it like they would their lover... 98% of the that works... that other 2% they can't get past that big fat guy with the camera.. sad

Jul 13 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

"I'm working with a new model on Saturday, and she wants some sexy photos. It's her first shoot, and I recommended we work on getting her some nice portfolio shots first."

She wants sexy photos and you suggested head shots? I may well be wrong, but I get the impression you are, for whatever reason,  not comfrtable doing "sexy shots".  If so, that;s no problem, many are not. If that's the case, my first suggestion would be to refer her to someone who is comfortable with that style of shooting. But if you are interested in going in that direction, just take your lead from her.  Every woman knows how to be "sexy", so turn her loose and follow her lead. Refine her poses as needed, but  don't try to tell her what "sexy" is.

Jul 13 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Thorn Hill Studios

Good point.  I do feel somewhat uncomfortable with the situation. She's inexperienced, 20 yrs old, and we haven't met or worked with each other yet.
Good advice to just follow her lead and not direct her.

Jul 13 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Thorn Hill Studios

Had the shoot with the 20-yr-old inexperienced model who wanted "sexy photos" yesterday.. a couple of images are posted.

Jul 16 06 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Jeremy I

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Francis Moran wrote:
Had the shoot with the 20-yr-old inexperienced model who wanted "sexy photos" yesterday.. a couple of images are posted.

Is that her in your avatar?

Jul 16 06 06:34 am Link