Forums > General Industry > Why do Photographers do these Things?

Photographer

Westview Photographics

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

I've noticed a few things that some photogs do on their profiles that perplex me a little.  Why do they do these things:

1.  List every gosh durn model they've ever worked with along with the model's ID number (half of whom are no longer members of this or the "other" site).

2.  Cut and paste endless testimonials from emails models sent to them.

3.  Post pix of them and models posing together.

4.  Post pictures of themselves "at work" in the studio.

5.  State they they are not looking for dates or relationships.

These things are pretty annoying, I think.

Jul 11 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

1. Its like a resume.  Makes us look like we're THE SHIT man.

2. See #1 above.

3. So we can rub it in the faces of suckers who have regular suck ass day jobs but get paid twice what we do.

4. Gives observers the voyeuristic thrill of the "behind the scenes" candids.

5. Allows us to disarm the defensive models who are drawn to us because we're THE SHIT man.

;^p

Jul 11 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Westview Photographics wrote:
I've noticed a few things that some photogs do on their profiles that perplex me a little.  Why do they do these things:

1.  List every gosh durn model they've ever worked with along with the model's ID number (half of whom are no longer members of this or the "other" site).

I just make up the names and numbers.  You mean some are actually real?

Hey,  I either paid or threatened models to give me those and gosh durn,  I am going to use them.

They just want to tell stories of how they touched a model once.

Why should I post pictures of what I do when editing or printing?

What?  Lying is fun.

See you just did it.

Jul 11 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:

2. See #1 above.

3. So we can rub it in the faces of suckers who have regular suck ass day jobs but get paid twice what we do.

5. Allows us to disarm the defensive models who are drawn to us because we're THE SHIT man.

;^p

LMAO!

Jul 11 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

It's about credibility and demonstrating experience, I think.  Also, I do it so that a potential model might recognize someone they know on the list.  If they ask one another about me, it's free advertising!  smile

Quick and dirty references?

To prove that they've actually been within arm's length of an attractive woman?

See?  I'm legit!  Seriously!  I work in a STUDIO!  There's no way a photographer with a studio could possibly be a lecherous bastard! 

Covering their tracks.

Jul 11 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

A list isn't a bad idea. Makes it easy to check for references. And yes, I'll take pictures of my studio for lighting references. Rest of the stuff is crap though.

Jul 11 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Damn! I don't do any of these things! I guess I'm not a photographer then.

sad

Jul 11 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Outlet Images

Walnut Creek, California, US

1)  Its all about references.  I want my clients comfortable with me and I encourage them to contact other models that I have worked with.  You also get to showcase more of your work on sites like these.

2)  This is free advertising.  If someone tells you that you did a good job, let everyone else know.  I do seek permission to use the quote though.

3)  While this isn't normal it does put a name to the face and might make the model more comfortable with who they are dealing with. 

4)  Same as 3.  I think it makes things more tangible.  I wouldn't put these types of images on this site or my primary pages on my website though.

5)  This one is just silly and unprofessional.

For most of these things I think models should be doing the same thing.

Jul 11 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

azdave

Bitter Springs, Arizona, US

I dont do anything on the list
Should I start so I can be a real photographer?.....or just keep things how they are

Jul 11 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

The models I've worked with are either TFCD or are paying me for the shots. The ones I list are, without exception, great people and I want to promote them in whatever little way I can.

Haven't done this yet. I've thought about it, but I'll get permission first, and my profile is already too long.

I'm not a model, I stay behind the camera. But if you're referring to certain photographers who post pictures of themselves here playing "horsie" with the model, I can't say anything because (a) they can shoot circles around me and (b) the models seem to be enjoying themselves.

Or maybe you are referring to that Tom Ford shot in Vanity Fair recently?

https://www.tallent.us/blogphotos/Knightley_-_Johansson_-_Vanity_Fair.jpg

Haven't yet, but not a bad idea. Shows that I'm not a hideous creature from the deep and gives potential clients an idea of the shooting environment (i.e., my studio is a nice room, not a damp basement or a wronkled sheet hanging against a wall).

Because, unfortunately, some "photographers" are. Not so much here, fortunately, but certainly on places like MySpace where unsolicited messages asking about modeling can be a little creepy. And because some models think they can give you the same passive-aggressive drama BS they give to boyfriends.

6. Rant on forums about what other photographers do innocently instead of living and let live?

Oops, how did that get in there?

Jul 12 06 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Shelby Rich

Vancouver, Washington, US

Ruben Vasquez wrote:

LMAO!

Jul 12 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Shelby Rich

Vancouver, Washington, US

Ruben Vasquez wrote:

LMAO!

Jul 12 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Interesting to find a model that actually reads all that..as in my experience they don't..

Incedently, I don't make such lists. I let my pics do the talking for me..

And you're right, it is annoying.

Jul 12 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Maybe because it makes them happy? What makes you happy? Personally, there are so damn many things that I find annoying in this world, that I try to focus on the stuff that makes me happy rather than what pisses me off. But every now and then a good rant makes me happy too!

Jul 12 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I put in a few models' names and MM numbers to show that I've worked with real people, and a prospective model can take the initiative to contact them for a reference if desired. Lots of models have security issues, particularly with hobbyists like me. So I thought that I was doing that out of courtesy and convenience.

However, I don't put in pictures of myself. That would scare them away.

Jul 12 06 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Al of Avalon

San Antonio, Texas, US

What if you don't do any of these things, what then?

Just playing.

In addition to what was posted already about photographer's tendency to express some ambiance, in most anything they do. It would seem like these photogogs are anxious to show they are (for) real, soooo they can get a shoot lined up, and hope for etc., etc..

But maybe that's stating the obvious. If so, OP, does this explain things a little?

Jul 12 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

compensation

Jul 12 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Jul 12 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Pixishots Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:

2. See #1 above.

;^p

Tooo Freaking Funny Dude! "haaaaaa!" Just for that, I am going to post exactly that in in my profile! j/k!

~teehee~
Marygrace

Jul 13 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Pixishots Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Justin wrote:
I put in a few models' names and MM numbers to show that I've worked with real people, and a prospective model can take the initiative to contact them for a reference if desired. Lots of models have security issues, particularly with hobbyists like me. So I thought that I was doing that out of courtesy and convenience.

However, I don't put in pictures of myself. That would scare them away.

Hi Justin,
I think mostly out of courtesy and to push these models motivation to go further & more beyond his or her dreams is why I would post names & member number. I think I would keep it at a minimum of 10-15 though & switch it up every other week or 2. 

In regards to when you said,..."However, I don't put in pictures of myself. That would scare them away."  I hope that was a sarcastic remark, cause I did LOL. If not, then you gotta put a self - portrait up....so I can either lie or tell you the truth. lol just kidding. Also, I think your comment maybe an understatement, cause your models seem to respond to you well.   

~Marygrace~

Jul 13 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

maybe those photographers who do that are into the whole popularity and the whole "look i look cool" type thing, and plus some of them are probably living off of their reputation from years ago (when it was good), so in order to still look current, theyre probably draining people with various other things that will take away from the fact that maybe they havent worked with a new client in ages or they havent gotten a tearsheet or havent grossed any profit in ages.
i have pics with some of my model friends, but that s@#ts reserved for myspace. and even on that, i'm very reluctant to really exploit my business and photography thing on my mypsace page, which is why i dont like saving models as friends on it.

maybe theyre just into the whole "i'm hot hot hot look at meeeeeeee" thing, because thats the thing of the internet people these days.

but the women (models) they actually go for that, they will get hyped up over reading all of that and seeing their self-portraits on there. i will never forget a certain female model who had hit me up to work with me called me and was asking if i had pics on my MM page so she could see me, and then somehow found my myspace page and saw them and only agreed to do it because i looked younger than she expected, and also because my name came off as if i was another race (other than african-american)

Jul 13 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

The photographers with the most words and info have the biggest PENISES!!!!! Plus it gives then cred. That or they feel the need to pump up their profiles bcause they have a low self estime about their work.

The flip side is models buy all that crap that is listed. They feel that if the person has that much info they must be the Shiznit.

Most photogs do it because many viewers don't belive the work should speak for itself. The models want to be woowed and feel "special".

Personally I think any propoganda a person puts on their page is BS. The BS I have put on my page is just that. BS.

Jul 13 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

It's a little like wearing a wedding ring to a bar really, it's designed to make girls want us even more ... my favorite is to get the girl to the shoot and then when she asks if she looks hot, reply "meh, you'll do".

oh yeah, it's all about the power.

Jul 13 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It's sort of like counting coupe, or maybe like checkmarks on a bedpost. "If all of these models worked with me, I must be damned good!"

See above. Some they are afraid to let their work stand on its own, so need to add testimonials'.

See 1 and 2 above.

This one baffles me. With more than 50 years in photography, no one has ever paid me a dime for a picture of me, in or out of the studio. Maybe they need proof they were actually there?

Hmmm, maybe it means they are not "looking for dates ...", but might be a little hopeful?

Jul 13 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Because they can .. smile

Jul 13 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

I happen to like "behind the scenes" shots from really really good photographers.  I plan to put some up myself just as soon as I get really really good.

Jul 13 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Everyone has his or her own agenda.   So we should just accept everyone else's and hope that they'll accept ours.

smile

Jul 13 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

Los Angeles, California, US

I used to wonder too...However, after learning how some photographers want to take advantage of models especially on non-released shoots, I don't think posting all the stuff is that bad. A few bad apples make models leary. We have also learned a typical manager type account has something to do with providing model references. Many freelance models have copied it and also included they're not looking for dates.

Jul 14 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Kevin the verbose

Howell, Michigan, US

I don't do any of these. As to the possibility of listing people worked with for references, if someone wants references, the pictures in your portfolio should link to these models. Gotta be honest here, I think these things are done because the photographs can't speak for the photographers or there are ego issues. "Look, I am an artist," "Look, how many people I have worked with and they are smiling in my presence." At best small cries for validation.
-KevintheVerbose

Jul 14 06 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Michael J

Rustburg, Virginia, US

House of Indulgence wrote:
The photographers with the most words and info have the biggest PENISES!!!!!

LMFAO ! ! !   Too funny!
Is that the opposite of what they say about the guys with the most expensive sports cars?

Jul 14 06 03:54 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

wrote:
Maybe because it makes them happy? What makes you happy? Personally, there are so damn many things that I find annoying in this world, that I try to focus on the stuff that makes me happy rather than what pisses me off. But every now and then a good rant makes me happy too!

i was just thinking that I agree with you
& I know what you mean
then i realised i don't find anything annoying!
except insects...
but not people

i do however sometimes find them silly stupid nasty ludicrouse unbelievable and mean quite a bit tho
but i dont get annoyed....
very occasionally 'exasperated'' maybe closest
sad
furious
heartbroken -yes
mostly they just make me uncomfortable

;-)

Jul 14 06 09:21 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Sorry but I do not do any of these things.  bs

Jul 14 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Jul 14 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

this really is the dumbest post yet...

Jul 14 06 03:35 pm Link

Body Painter

FleshandColor

San Diego, California, US

the thread starter is no longer a member?

hmm should have posted references in his or her profile.

Jul 14 06 04:35 pm Link

Model

Jennicide

San Francisco, California, US

I don't understand why that stuff bothers anyone so much...

Jul 14 06 04:36 pm Link