Forums > General Industry > Makup artist took credit for my work and posted it

Model

Desiree Forget

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I have a dilemma. I am a model but i also do all/most of my own makeup. Last year i worked with a makup "artist" so to say. Artist is hardly the proper term because i have done better makeup on myself in the dark. Anyway, this makup "artist" did my makeup for one look, it took her all of 10 minutes then she was out the door never to be hear from again. I had a few different looks from that day and this was the first of the day. the makeup looks i did on myself were completely different from what she did and it was quite obvious that the makeup had been totally redone. So with that said, I recently was at a shoot and the photographer asked me how i knew this makup artist and i said that i had worked with her a year ago and she did my makeup once. He says "oh yeah they use that picuture of you as the main picture on their website for makeup artists." So i'm thinking, "oh cool, i didn't even know i was on their website." so naturally i check it out and to my surprise the pic of the makeup that she did and the pic of makeup that i did were posted right next to eachother and it's obvious to anyone that it's not the same makeup. She is the owner of this company and website and she know's full well that she didn't do that makeup on me. I'm pretty sure she is claiming it as her own for web content and because it's a pretty attention grabbing image. What do i do about this. Should I bring this to her attention and tell her how i feel about it or let it slide. I think it's wrong but i don't want to be labled  "that model who is hard to work with" I've never had any problems with anyone and i'm very professional when it comes to business. I guess i'm feeling a little robbed. Any input would be appreciated.
Desiree

Jul 11 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Jairo Cruz Rua

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Just ask her why she has both on her site. if she did it on purpose shell give you an excuse and remove it. She might not know that they are diffrent. How did she get the photos if she split right after? Didi she get them from the photog? Did the photog give her permission or tell her that it was her work.
Find out first, but don't let it slide
Jairo

Jul 11 06 03:07 am Link

Model

Desiree Forget

she had somewhere else she needed to be, but the photog gave her copies from the makeup she did. it's possible he could have given her a cd of all of the images. But he was there and he saw me wash my face off and start all over. I think i will bring it to her attention though. Thanks
Desiree

Jul 11 06 03:16 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

perhaps shes a b/s artist instead

Jul 11 06 03:16 am Link

Model

Desiree Forget

lol i'll agree with that one.
Dez

Jul 11 06 03:17 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Definitely bring it up to her.  Like Jairo says, gently ask her about it first, and point out that only one of the photos is actually her handiwork.  Maybe she really doesn't know.  (Some people are surprisingly unobservant sometimes.)  Chances are, yeah, she'll make some excuse and remove the photo.  If she doesn't though... well, that's just not cool.  You could probably ask the photographer to ask her to take it down since she had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the image.

Jul 11 06 02:39 pm Link

Model

ENRIQUE CURRERO

Los Angeles, California, US

THAT IS SO WRONG.  I WOULD NEVER DO THAT TO ANYONE. WHEN YOUR IN THE FASHION FIELD.  YOUR NAME IS ON THE LINE.  WAS THAT CRAZY MUA THINKING YOU WOULD NOT SEE IT.  WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE NOW DAYS.
I WOULD GO AFTER WITH FULL FORCE!!  SHE CAN NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR SOMETHING SHE DID NOT DO! AND SHE WILL HAVE TO REMOVE IT DUE TO FALSE ADVERTISMENT!

ENRO

Jul 11 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

This really is lame -- It really annoys me when people steal other peoples' work. And then they pretend it was an error... I tend to not believe you can really post something you had nothing to do with in "error." Oops... I didn't know that photo in my book was taken by Joyce Tenneson! I thought I took it just last week...

Anyway, you got some good advice here. I'd find out how she got the photo in the first place, and I'd send her a polite and business-like letter asking her to remove it from her website as the work wasn't her's. You don't need to get mean or anything; just conduct yourself as a professional and things should work out fine.

And based on this I'd hardly think you'd be a difficult person to work with. What you're asking about is perfectly reasonable and people should be encouraged to protect their work from those that would steal it.

-Pat-

Jul 11 06 03:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

myles oreilly

Westminster, Colorado, US

I would raise hell  and I would make her take it down or give you credit somehow. regardless its bad karma. I wish I could compare and critique,and I wonder if I know this person!

Jul 11 06 03:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

It's up to the photographer to do this, if he's actually interested in doing it.  He is, after all, the copyright holder, and he needs to take control of his image.

One of two things happened:
1)  He oopsed, and sent her the photos by mistake.
2)  He posted the image somewhere, she saw it, and lifted it for herself, knowing she'd at least been on set part of that day.

If he won't take control, I'd send her a polite reminder about that photo.  If she doesn't respond, you get a bit more firm. 

As a courtesy, do give her time to respond.  Say, a week.  You never know what could be preventing her from getting her email.  Don't get pissy until you are sure she's ignoring you.

Jul 12 06 12:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

just email her and ask her about it. or have the photographer do it.

who knows, she might have a gaggle of  work that isn't hers.

god knows it would not be the first time a mua has tried to pass off somebody elses work as their own.

Jul 12 06 01:03 am Link

Model

Dominick D

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Well... That's just plain rude! I'd send her a very pissy E-mail asking for a explanation if I was yu.

Jeesh Some people.... -_-

xDDx

Jul 12 06 06:30 am Link