Forums > General Industry > What in the *bleep* are you doing here?!?!

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

OK, I am interested in knowing what you all are here (on MM in general, not why you are here on a Monday evening).

Are you a “making great money” pro-photographer?  An amateur?  Very skilled but do it for love and passion and make a living else where?

Then I would like to know why you are one here?  To try and make money directly off MM?  Meet other photogs, model, stylists, MUA, etc and share ideas and learn tricks to make yourself better?  Give back to those needing help getting their careers and portfolios started?  Etc.

I'll start.  I am a photo-mutt.  Trained in photo, assisted professionals, got my degree in it worked in for a few years and then events occurred that made me sit back to figure out where to go with my career.  While I was figuring it out I took a job with a big financial company.  Next thing you know, I am a Senior VP at a billion dollar financial firm, wife and kid and still doing photography taking jobs to pay for the equipment so I can do TFP with developing models and creative individuals.

I came here to network with others.  See if I can help any newbies.  Hook up with other creative individuals to take great images… etc.  Not here to try and turn a profit.  Never thought of this as a place to meet clients.  Just trying to make this my world wide network of like minded individuals.

Your turn!

Jul 10 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I am here to read posts like yours.  Oh yeah, I am a full-time photographer too.

Jul 10 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

I didnt know I was here. I thought I was there. or was it the other way around??

I love creating images that capture the moment.. I love beautiful mature women, and love to capture them in a moment of time.

I come here to read, to look, to network, and to hopefully gain some insight to whatever I can..  oh and to laugh at some of the inane posts here.

Jul 10 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Pretty simple really... read 'about me' and 'credits'... wink

Jul 10 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

I was trying to order a pizza online... I ended up here     go figure.

Jul 10 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

MM is one of my many biatches...and I use it as I see fit.

Ok ok....let me put that differently...I am here to network in order to meet certain needs that I have from time to time. Does that sound better?

Jul 10 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Photographer most of my life....and I enjoy the viewpoints of those younger than me....keeps me informed of trends.....fashions of which I haven't got a clue about....just good information......

OH...and for some of you who have read them......I hold what some of may consider "strong" views on certain subjects and enjoy the debate.

Jul 11 06 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Carlton Primm

Dallas, Texas, US

Simply put, to increase exposure and to enjoy the work of others.

Jul 11 06 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Ye Olde Photographer

San Juan, San Juan-Laventville, Trinidad and Tobago

MM is a reference point for me. I have been doing photography as a hobby for the past three years and on my day job I do product photography.

My real love is people photography and I work almost in isolation. On MM I can get ideas and see the work of photogarphers who are better than I am.

Jul 11 06 08:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Nina G Artistry

Houston, Alaska, US

I joined MM to increase my exposure...honestly, it has been more of a learning experience to me. I have really enjoyed meeting some amazing models and photographers here, and I believe that I have shown so much improvement in my work since I have been a member of MM.

Thanks

Jul 11 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I'm here to meet and chat with artsy people. I work in medical advertising (Boooooring) so I need a creative outlet.

Jul 11 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Chris Photography

Valrico, Florida, US

I'm a news/sports photojournalist,  who happens to like shooting fashion.  And trying to learn from many of the great photographers who post images here

Jul 11 06 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

For a living, I shoot news and events, with a lot of political stuff and music thrown into the mix. I've done catalog work in the past, and I shoot glamour and fashion these days mostly for my own enjoyment, with a few paid model portfolio shoots and headshot sessions each month to make it interesting. Someday I'd like to get back into apparel on a full-time basis, so it's good to keep my chops up.

MM is a great way to find potential models and keep up with what my fellow photogs are doing. It keeps me from getting in a rut!

Regards,
Paul

Jul 11 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Christopher b Smyth

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Where am I? Oh yeah modelmayhem. Just ot show off my work ,get comments and advice. Also to hopefully help others expand or build thier portfolios. Photography is just a hoby and I make no money from it yet.

Where am i? oh good morning yeah and too meet others interested in the same fields as I.
Christopher

Jul 11 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Andre Ainsworth

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm here to make contacts and to learn from other peoples work and also to enjoy meeting other like minded people.
I freelance fulltime in the UK working in the corporate, music and fashion industry.

Jul 11 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

I love "bleep" chiks!!!!!!!!

Jul 11 06 10:55 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I could tell you....but them I would have to eliminate you.

Jul 11 06 10:57 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

i joined this site because a couple of my friends who are photographers beat me into it. and then i fell in love. i have met so many wonderful people; i have made wonderful industry connections and--just as important--friends. it is my favorite site to simply spent time on; there are always beautiful images to stumble across and interesting/funny conversations to join.
many thanks to all smile

Jul 11 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

The list:

- Set up shoots.. (Obviously)
- Meet people (Met at least 3 great photogs through this site, at least 2 or 3 more in the pipeline)
- Learn (requires a lot of weeding through crap and discernment, but there are plenty of nuggets of wisdom to be found)
- Stir shit up (on slow days)
- Posterbate (on slow days)
- Kill time (on slow days, is there a pattern here?)
- Exposure (both of my work, and of the "I'm a photog with manboobs and I don't really care who knows" variety)

Did I mention how good MM is on slow days yet?

Jul 11 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I am interested!

Jul 11 06 12:54 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I use modelling as a creative outlet from my tech job.  I used to do a lot more film/theater, but photo sessions are far less time consuming and leave my free time open for Japanese study and other fun things.

Jul 11 06 02:34 pm Link

Model

MamaSkull

Feasterville-Trevose, Pennsylvania, US

I'm just here to have a good time with modeling, and maybe get a project once in a while. It's not full time for me, since I have a full time job and have my hand in other things that feel like full time jobs (planning an anime convention as treasurer and vice chair, staffing an anime club as treasurer and "assistant" to the vice president of one chapter, having a 6 year old son, cleaning the house, etc =P)

I didn't used to do things that I enjoyed doing, but I have been making an effort to do it more lately. I'd seen 16 year old girls saying they were going to do modeling, and all manner or people who looked all different ways when I browsed through the site, so I thought I'd give it a try and see what kind of responses I got. I'm never intending or striving to go "pro" or be "in the scene" very much, but I have made some god contacts and have had a good time, and I hope to keep doing so.

Jul 11 06 02:54 pm Link

Model

MamaSkull

Feasterville-Trevose, Pennsylvania, US

I'm just here to have a good time with modeling, and maybe get a project once in a while. It's not full time for me, since I have a full time job and have my hand in other things that feel like full time jobs (planning an anime convention as treasurer and vice chair, staffing an anime club as treasurer and "assistant" to the vice president of one chapter, having a 6 year old son, cleaning the house, etc =P)

I didn't used to do things that I enjoyed doing, but I have been making an effort to do it more lately. I'd seen 16 year old girls saying they were going to do modeling, and all manner or people who looked all different ways when I browsed through the site, so I thought I'd give it a try and see what kind of responses I got. I'm never intending or striving to go "pro" or be "in the scene" very much, but I have made some god contacts and have had a good time, and I hope to keep doing so.

Jul 11 06 02:56 pm Link