Forums > General Industry > I don't understand friend requests...

Photographer

Jeremy I

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Why do I get requests from people I have never heard of or from? Is it rude to deny a request from a complete stranger? I have never been on a site like this, please fill me in. Thanks.

Jul 10 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

It seems for me at least, friend requests from total strangers have been off the hook lately??? I doubt they even know if you approve 'um anyway, so I wouldn't sweat the "rude" issue.

I prefer to approve people who have tagged, commented or whose work I admire but whatever????

Jul 10 06 03:38 pm Link

Model

Brittany H

Beverly Hills, California, US

unlike myspace you can leave comments whether you are friends or not...I add people because at least for a while I can easily contact them because their avator is on my front page or so I can find them easily later - especially photographers I want to work with.  my rule of thumb is  - if their avator is not professional enough or it's too sleazy or if the person seems like a weird-0..I won't add them..hahaha...sometimes if they get better and I like the avator I'll then add them.  I don't want weird pics on my front page.  hahaha

Jul 10 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Spiderbite Studios

Richmond, Virginia, US

Different people view this kind of thing in different ways.

Personally, on MM, I only friend people that have commented on my work that I in turn like the work of. OR, if that person has just the most incredible images (be it Model or MUA or PhotoG) I add them so that they can feel the love ...

sometimes I get denied, but in most cases they have seem my comments all over their portfolio and they either accept me or contiue to give me the boot.

I usually only try twice ... some people only want to friend those they have worked with ... and if that is their preference ... they are entitled to do so.

however, on my mySpace page ... I only friend those that I am, can or have worked with in some way. no bots, webcam girls, or anyone just looking to add to their count ...

but here on MM ... I think we are a pretty tight knit group ... and if someone is denied, for whatever the reason ... I would HOPE that they didn't take it too personally.

=o)

Jul 10 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

I implemented a policy whereby I only take "friends" if they are either:

(a)  someone with whom I've worked or would like to work
(b)  someone who lives within a reasonable distance and might make an interesting contact for upcoming events (like Shootouts)
(c)  someone (for you Jigo) who waits on me at lunch and wants to let me shoot her the next day.  (I have none of these yet...)

Friends requests...to darn many floating around.

Jul 10 06 03:46 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Indiscretion

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Maybe I'm weird, but I appreciate people who'd like to friend me.  As for me, I usually try to friend people in my area for networking, and work I really appreciate.  However, if people started coming to my door and wanting to be my friend in real life out of the blue, well...I might give them a cookie....

Jul 10 06 03:46 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

"Friends" don't really account for much here.  I accept all requests because I don't see the value in inadvertantly causing hurt feelings.  Bridges and fire and all that.

Jul 10 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Mt friends are models I've worked with or would like to work with & photographers i've met. Or people that send a request. I may decline if they seem to be collecting friends. I've deleted 2 models in San Jose that I'd been wanting to shoot when I vacationed there but they stoppped responding to e-mails.

Friends are a good way to keep track of others portfolios.

Jul 10 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
"Friends" don't really account for much here.  I accept all requests because I don't see the value in inadvertantly causing hurt feelings.  Bridges and fire and all that.

ditto.

Jul 10 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Why NOT accept a friend request?  It is at best a nice gesture, at worst harmless.

Also, I sometimes think of it as those "If you liked X, then you will also like Y" messages on Amazon.  If you like a person's work, it might be interesting to follow the friends to see other people who liked the work and what sort of work they do.

Not a big enough deal to worry about.

Jul 10 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Murder City Angels

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

To me a friend is someone you have done work with or have a relationship with. I got a friend request without that person even giving me a reason to be my friend or sending me a letter first to say HI.

I tend only to allow friends I know or have a chat type relationship with... also remember on any web site there are lonely peeps who think having a ton of cyber friends makes them feel worthy or more valuable... I am still from the old world before internet where a friend is someone you have physicaly touched in some way.

I agree with you ignore them. If they wanna be your friend that badly they should have atleast said hi first. I go back every few months and delete any old friends I no longer associate with.

Jul 10 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

Accepting all you can is just a way to get your avatar on their page to be viewed by many. It's not rocket science. And what the hell, we can all use some more 'friends'. big_smile

Jul 10 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Eli Ceballos

Brooklyn, New York, US

My (probably worthless) opinion is that since this is a networking-type site the more people that I am linked to the higher the probability that people who may want to work with me, will run into my profile...so I allow all...mostly.  ^_-

Eli

Jul 10 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ian Richardson

Gloucester, England, United Kingdom

I like to get friend requests. I would only refuse a request from someone who is obviously a nut smile

My MM portfolio contains only my personal work. These are the pictures that I want people to see and that's one of the reasons I do it. If someone looks at my folio and as a result sends me a friend request, that's a compliment that I sincerely appreciate. Anyone who invests their time in my work is a friend!

Jul 10 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

Ian Richardson wrote:
I like to get friend requests. I would only refuse a request from someone who is obviously a nut smile

My MM portfolio contains only my personal work. These are the pictures that I want people to see and that's one of the reasons I do it. If someone looks at my folio and as a result sends me a friend request, that's a compliment that I sincerely appreciate. Anyone who invests their time in my work is a friend!

Ditto.

As someone who is not all that active on this site, at least I don't post tons, I don't know who I would deny a friend request.  Like the other posters have said, only if they were an obvious nut.  but I think it's a great way to see others' work.

Jul 10 06 06:15 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Indiscretion

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

LOL I had the urge to make friend requests to all of you in this forum, but I restrained myself wink

Jul 10 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Here on MM, I use the "friends" to keep track of the work of photographers that I either like their work, or know personally; For Models it is because I like their look and would like to shoot with them if at all possible.

For me it is easier to have them there in my "Firneds" list, which makes it easier to find them.. I dont write down their MM #'s.

I also use the Favorites list.. These are mostly models that I would love to shoot, but are way to far away for me to do so.. or they are models that I think are very beautiful and I like to see what new images they post. Some are on my favorites list, that I would love to have on my friends list.. but I am way too shy and introverted to even ask them to be on my friends list.. but that's me.. 

And I know I am not all that and a bag of chips.. just an old fat bald guy.. who loves what I do.

Jul 10 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I had a friends' list that was six pages long for awhile.  A few weeks ago i whittled it down to about 100 people -- most of whom i actually know [online at least] from other places, models i've actually worked with, and others that  feasible I could reasonably imagine working with in the near future.  If people want to add me, i won't refuse, but that dosen't mean i won't remove them if the list gets out of hand again.

Jul 11 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Ye Olde Photographer

San Juan, San Juan-Laventville, Trinidad and Tobago

Jigo wrote:
Why do I get requests from people I have never heard of or from? Is it rude to deny a request from a complete stranger? I have never been on a site like this, please fill me in. Thanks.

This might sound like a contradiction to things I said in other post but mabye you can can relax some of the rules of politeness that you use in your eveyday life. I think that forums like these colud use a healthy dose of good manners an civility but like the old saying goes: "When in Rome do like the Romans"

Unless there is a very good reason not to, it can't harm to approve most friend requests. It probably means that the person likes your pictures and this increases the number of portfolio views you get.

It's a community and participation is the key to getting your work seen.

Jul 11 06 09:13 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Fuzzybear Photography wrote:
It's a community and participation is the key to getting your work seen.

And there is the point.

In my case, I'm not particuarly interested in views. However, I approve virtually all (I've only denied known or obvious fakers) friend requests... in the interest of community and because others seek views. I do not see why one would do otherwise.

Jul 11 06 09:25 am Link