Forums > General Industry > Eating before a shoot

Model

Model Kari

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

I always try not to eat before a shoot because I dont want to bloat but I cant help it. I love food, especially sweets. I am eating a brownie right now and I have a shoot in an hour  grrrr

what do other people ususally eat?

Jul 10 06 11:34 am Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

Eat light foods, stuff that won't fill you up but will tie you over, and don't eat too much.  I usually eat a cereal bar or some chips then I shove my face after the shoot with whatever I want !!!  My stomach usually growls during the shoot.  But I won't have to suck it in as much.  lol  Also, try to just sip on water before and during the shoot...I find other drinks will make me bloat.  Sipping is better then chugging.  smile

Jul 10 06 11:35 am Link

Model

ElizabethRee

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I am right there with you! I always joke that I'll never be a "real" model because I love to eat too much!! haha
But I usually munch on saltine crackers and drink water before and during my shoot of the day.
It's enough to keep me from starving, but doesn't make me bloated.

Let's go have some ice cream and brownies! smile

Jul 10 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Before a shoot, models should eat light, high-carb foods that digest easily...breads, pasta, etc. (Brownies are ok, no nuts though).  If there is something with protein, all the better.  An ideal preshoot meal might be a bowl of cereal (not Frosted Flakes, but something like Total...)

I don't like it if models show up for my shoots having not eaten at all that day.  I've had a model faint on the set, and considering the photos I'm shooting, that is a *bad* thing.  Fortunately three of us on the set were able to catch her before she hit the ground.  (Next time we shot, she brought the leftover paper bag and wrappers from Chik-Fil-A with her...)

Definitely eat something.

Jul 10 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Eric Cain

Detroit, Michigan, US

Moraxian wrote:
Before a shoot, models should eat light, high-carb foods that digest easily...breads, pasta, etc. (Brownies are ok, no nuts though).  If there is something with protein, all the better.  An ideal preshoot meal might be a bowl of cereal (not Frosted Flakes, but something like Total...)

I don't like it if models show up for my shoots having not eaten at all that day.  I've had a model faint on the set, and considering the photos I'm shooting, that is a *bad* thing.  Fortunately three of us on the set were able to catch her before she hit the ground.  (Next time we shot, she brought the leftover paper bag and wrappers from Chik-Fil-A with her...)

Hey Moraxion, youre right... never had anyone faint, but Ive had 2 that thought they might... neither one had eaten all day.

Jul 10 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

The Polaroid Guy

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

Go for peanuts. Per square ounce, they fill you up more than any other food.

Jul 10 06 11:55 am Link

Model

Eva Morgan Reeve

I usaly only drink water before a shooting.  Well depending if the shooting is in the afternoon, then I eat a apple or any fruit.

Jul 10 06 11:58 am Link

Model

Peter Pagan

Rochester, New York, US

peanuts are good because they have protien and also fats which slow digestion and make you feel full, an ideal snack before a shoot would be a pbj sandwich with whole wheat bread, it has protein from the peanut butter, which is slow digesting, fats which slow digestion, then the wheat bread has carbs for energy, and also contains fiber which will slow digestion, then the jelly has quick digesting carbs to raise your blood sugar and give you energy, preventing the famed "pass-out". The proteins,fat,and fiber that slow the digestion make you feel full longer so you wont munch as much.

Try it out

Jul 10 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Something light to keep energy and blood sugar levels up, but not enough to bloat.  Usually just an energy bar.

---
A few more topics on the subject:

Day of shoot - eating and working out? (3 posts)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=31904

eating before a shoot.. (45 posts)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=24019

More: https://www.modelmayhem.com/search.php? … mit=Search

Jul 10 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

AdamtheJohnson wrote:
Go for peanuts. Per square ounce, they fill you up more than any other food.

UNSALTED ones!
Or you'll retain water & get puffy.

Jul 10 06 03:41 pm Link

Model

1HotMaMa

Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, US

I usually have to drive a ways for my shoots so I eat on the way...

Jul 10 06 04:16 pm Link

Model

1HotMaMa

Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, US

I usually have to drive a ways for my shoots so I eat on the way...

Jul 10 06 04:18 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Hmmm actually all these breads may bloat you more - also the carbs in cereals and pasta, if you are prone to that - I am
I recommend a little protien, and fruit, which takes time to digest.

sushi maybe?
nibbles of dried friuts, carrots or health bars in the car?

:-)

dinner after!!

Jul 10 06 04:25 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

For me its usually just an energy bar though I do take those wee dextrose/glucose tablets with me just in case I get a case of the dizzies.

If I must have a meal its usually ramen noodles.

Jul 10 06 04:31 pm Link

Model

Sonya Marie

Tucson, Arizona, US

ahhh the beauty of being pregnant..teehee. I eat  before the shoot and bring food to the shoot just incase and it actually is a benefit cause my tummy looks fuller and the definition comes out on the photographers camera much better...

Too bad I only have 3 months left of this eating freedom!!

Jul 10 06 04:37 pm Link

Model

zephyrsister

Converse, Indiana, US

Modeling makes me soo hungry.  I eat before and after!

Jul 10 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Kari Levine wrote:
I always try not to eat before a shoot because I dont want to bloat but I cant help it. I love food, especially sweets. I am eating a brownie right now and I have a shoot in an hour  grrrr

what do other people ususally eat?

Do you get your candy from Ameals on atlantic ave ? if it hasn't moved ?

Jul 10 06 04:45 pm Link

Model

EricaDean

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

I NEVER eat before a shoot, no matter how many times people try to tell me I need to. Coffee is all I have. In fact, when I went out to Tampa to do promo work in the heat all day (got up at 3am, left the stadium at 8pm), I only had water. Until the drive home. Of course, I'm not the fainting type. Oh, and I was wearing nothing but thongs, a tiny tube top, and a lot of paint. I might have eaten if I was wearing more. When it's all out there, I get a bit paranoid.

Jul 10 06 04:45 pm Link

Model

Stephanie_H

Austin, Texas, US

Moraxian wrote:

I would say eat something for sure, but bread? I thought bread bloated your stomach? Does it depend on the person? Unsalted peanuts sound like a good idea...or maybe bananas?

Jul 10 06 04:50 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Kari Levine wrote:

what do other people usually eat?

My son and I just had a brownie sundae from Applebee's....sooo good!

But I don't know...I guess that eating fruit would be okay, because I think that's something you can eat without worrying about it doing a number on your stomach and the feeling of having to shit real bad (sorry for the mental picture, you guys!).  As soon as you're done with your photo shoot, get your grub on, girl!

Jul 10 06 06:11 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

its called self control, learn it or eat ur way into plsu size.

Jul 10 06 07:16 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

its called self control, learn it or eat ur way into plus size.

Jul 10 06 07:16 pm Link

Model

Andrea Barnett

Sacramento, California, US

i eat noooothing before a shoot, unless its in the evening, then i might eat breakfast. its mandatory to look as thin as possible. water and maybe a power bar. no more. ever. eat after.

Jul 10 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

robs photo

Holden, Massachusetts, US

interesting,.... did offer drinks, water, coke,...etc,...
do recall one,  no breakfast, no water, no coke,... 3 hours later, a litle blend,
should stock up on energy drinks,... I like the adrenaline drink,... but $2 per can,
and I can drink about 3 of those, plus 2 cans of v8, in one shoot,... and one granola bar,
guess, really need a vending machine in the studio,.... gotta talk to Al,
so what to fill it with ?
cheers, Rob

Jul 10 06 10:02 pm Link