Forums > General Industry > Did I do something wrong?

Photographer

Thomas C

Bellevue, Nebraska, US

I recently had a session with a model whom I had never met.  The introduction went well, the photo shoot went very well, we laughed, and talked, etc.  She was a pleasure to work with, and she seemed to open up to me.  I knew in advance some things she wouldn't do, so I didn't ask.  As we reviewed the photos, she consistantly commented on how much she liked them, and actually loved a few of them.  This was a TFCD shoot, so I was happy and seemed like she was happy.  I followed up the session a Thank You e-mail.  I have never heard from her again, and none of the photos are in her on-line portfolio.  Did I do something wrong?  I have kept in touch with all previous models, but this one won't talk to me.  What gives?

Jul 09 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Some models are kinda weird!

Let it go, contact her in a few weeks with a little note, asking her if you offended her in anyway and that you don't understand her silence..., and guess what... some people have problems... etc...

Jul 09 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Maybe she's just busy?  It happens.  Or having some personal drama.  Or can't get to a 'puter.  I wouldn't worry about it.

-Don

Jul 09 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What gives is that you're getting worked up for nothing.  Some models don't keep in touch with photographers after the fact; some take forever to do something with their new photos; some don't post everything online.  Maybe your model hated the shoot, but so long as she says she loved it, move on.

Jul 09 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

This is a constant source of frustration for me, too. Everything seems to be OK and then communication stops. I'm guessing we are drawing from the same pool of models. I don't have an answer, but you are not alone...

Jul 09 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Who knows.  There was a secret book written by a women that explained women
so that men could understand them.  For example why they are always cold when
its hot or what they really mean by 'I'm fine or everythings okay' This book was
burned by my wife before I could read it and share its contents with men.  So
I will never understand women and no other man will either.  The author of this
tell all book was given a stern talking too about telling women's secrets and she
and a group of women went shopping at Marshalls for hours and hours while I
waited at the front of the front of the store with the other husbands.

Jul 09 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Why is it so important for you to stay in contact with all the models you work with?  The relationship between model and photographer, while light, should be business oriented.  She's not there to be your friend - she's there to get her picture taken.  Do you strike up a friendship with your garbage man, dentist, plumber, etc.? 

Simply put, in most cases, it's a functional relationship.  Yeah, there are exceptions - it's great to make new friends - but there's no reason to act "hurt" because a model stopped messaging you and didn't use your pictures.

It happens.  Move on.

Jul 09 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

recently after shooting a model over a three year period , i shot something she liked and she put it in her portfolio, fabulous but it did not really worry me, some models just vanish after a shoot you never hear from them again,  ever, it happens.

Jul 09 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Thomas C, some photographers complain, and rightly so, when the models practically sit on their head wanting their images NOW, NOW, NOW!!!!

You should feel relieved that she may just be giving you some time to get her stuff  together. She'll be back when she wants it. Not to worry. Women ALWAYS show up when the want something.

Studio36

Jul 09 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

groupw wrote:
This is a constant source of frustration for me, too. Everything seems to be OK and then communication stops. I'm guessing we are drawing from the same pool of models. I don't have an answer, but you are not alone...

Doug, this shouldn't be a constant source of frustration for you.  Whether you shoot as a hobby or for a profession, many models will always prefer to keep an arms-length relationship with the photographer.  I consider the models I work with to be colleagues first, and once and a while I become friends with one, just the sort of thing that can happen in any work environment.  Even though you describe yourself as an amateur photographer, you'll still have the odd professional-minded model as your co-conspirator in whatever creative shoots you do, so she/he might not see shooting as a means of making new friends, but as a means of building a portfolio and forwarding a modelling career only.

Jul 09 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Please don't misunderstand....this is not about building friendships. This is about models listing projects to shoot together. THEY have asked that I shoot with them again. However when I contact them about another shoot sometimes even after they have asked me to reply....poof...gone. The model pool in Central Nebraska is not very deep. Repeat shoots are necessary to stay active. If a friendship develops, I consider that a bonus, but not WHY I want to keep communication channels open.

Jul 09 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

groupw wrote:
Please don't misunderstand....this is not about building friendships. This is about models listing projects to shoot together. THEY have asked that I shoot with them again. However when I contact them about another shoot sometimes even after they have asked me to reply....poof...gone. The model pool in Central Nebraska is not very deep. Repeat shoots are necessary to stay active. If a friendship develops, I consider that a bonus, but not WHY I want to keep communication channels open.

I hear ya.  It just comes to show how the photographer-model dynamics can be quite different depending on where you are in the world.  I can understand your frustration with models that want to shoot again then vanish, especially with a dearth of models in your area.  I'm fortunate to work in a large city with a vibrant fashion and print industry, but then I have my own different set of workaday frustrations.  I'll save 'em for another thread...

Jul 10 06 12:33 am Link