Forums > General Industry > If you're listed as a friend of a *flake*...

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

would you want to be told the model is a flake?  Would you delete the Friend link?

Jul 09 06 01:12 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Not only would I have no idea if the person is on my friends list, but even if I did, it would be no easy task finding them amongst the crowd.

A.k.a. The Friends list is not that serious.

Jul 09 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Nemi wrote:
Not only would I have no idea if the person is on my friends list, but even if I did, it would be no easy task finding them amongst the crowd.

Yeah, it's true that for some folks the Friends list is just a kind of junk drawer full of avatars.

Jul 09 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Len Cook Photographer wrote:

Yeah, it's true that for some folks the Friends list is just a kind of junk drawer full of avatars.

Originally I was going to use friends list as people I wanted to work with and then it expanded to work with/local contacts then it expanded,  and now I'm all confused.  But I did notice that a number of the friends at the back of my list are no longer with us.

Jul 09 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

...I did notice that a number of the friends at the back of my list are no longer with us.

I've noticed that as well, I wondered if that meant they were gone for good or if they could possibly come back and use the same profile.  If they won't be coming back (if the link will forever be dead), I would like to clean out my friends list a little.  But I'd like to be sure first.  Anyone know?

Jul 09 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I’d personally be suspicious of the motives for such a dubious proposition. Perhaps it’s simply a case of a photographer having a prima donna moment, when a Model was stuck in traffic or because her kid was sick & she couldn’t call to reschedule.  Are we as a society all too quick to judge this person or that person, simply because they didn’t behave or do as we want them too?

If so are you proposing that we all agree to publically punish & make an example of someone simply because a photographer was disappointed?

Who’s say that the photographer wasn’t Nurse Ratchet???

Jul 09 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

UCPhotog

Hartford, Connecticut, US

I haven't found any, but are there other uses of the friends list? I know over at MySpace you can send out bulletins to your friends list. I just wondered.

As for the flake thing - I wouldn't worry about it. I've removed a few friends from the list because they flaked on me. But that's just me.

Marc Stevenson
UCPhotog

Jul 09 06 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Bearz Images wrote:
I’d personally be suspicious of the motives for such a dubious proposition. Perhaps it’s simply a case of a photographer having a prima donna moment, when a Model was stuck in traffic or because her kid was sick & she couldn’t call to reschedule.  Are we as a society all too quick to judge this person or that person, simply because they didn’t behave or do as we want them too?

If so are you proposing that we all agree to publically punish & make an example of someone simply because a photographer was disappointed?

I didn't post a proposal.  I posted a couple of questions.  You made up the proposal.  In fact, there IS such a thing as a flake.  And there are such things as unavoidable problems.  Those are two different issues.  There are also lions and tigers and bears, oh my. 

But if you want it laid out in fine print, here it is, and it applies to both photographers and models, flakes of any flavor:

1) Some people don't care about their friends list.  Those people don't much care about this question.  Some of those people have made it clear this doesn't matter to them by adding comments saying basically that they opened this thread to say the thread doesn't matter to them.

2) Flakes exist.  That's the premise for this thread.  Some people may disagree and assert there are no flakes and that those who claim there are flakes are liars and fools with mysterious personal agendas.  While I agree there are liars and fools, I disagree that there's no such thing as a flake.

3) Among those who believe there may be flakes, there will be some who will examine evidence of flaky behavior and on the basis of that evidence may conclude that the accused is, indeed, a flake.  This is a civil sort of proceeding, certainly not a criminal matter.  Judgement in civil sorts of proceedings need not be based on proof beyond reasonable doubt.

4) Upon concluding that a person is a flake, those who take their friends list seriously may consider removing that newfound flake from the friends list.  Or not.  Therein lies my question.  It is a question for those who take their friends list seriously AND have concerns about flakes.

Jul 09 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Bearz Images wrote:

I didn't post a proposal.  I posted a couple of questions.  You made up the proposal.  In fact, there IS such a thing as a flake.  And there are such things as unavoidable problems.  Those are two different issues.  There are also lions and tigers and bears, oh my. 

Len:

I think you maybe taking my reply a wee bit too personally?
If you've had an unpleasant encounter with someone, why crucify them on MM?

The solution is simple Len, just don't do business with them again. However simply because someone had a bad day, they shouldn’t be labeled permanently as “Flake” Seems all a bit too extreme to me.

-Bearz

Jul 09 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Bearz Images wrote:
I think you maybe taking my reply a wee bit too personally?
If you've had an unpleasant encounter with someone, why crucify them on MM?

The solution is simple Len, just don't do business with them again. However simply because someone had a bad day, they shouldn’t be labeled permanently as “Flake” Seems all a bit too extreme to me.

-Bearz

I'm not sure why you insist on making stuff up.  Crucify?  I didn't say crucify.  I asked if someone would remove another from a friends list. 

In reply to your first comment, I said specifically that bad news and bad behavior are different issues.  You don't seem to want to address the concept of bad behavior.  Why not?

Finally, I never said anybody should be given a label.  I ASKED if others would remove them from a friends list. 

I'm not sure why you're having problems interpreting what I've written.

Jul 09 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

I'm not sure why you insist on making stuff up.  Crucify?  I didn't say crucify.  I asked if someone would remove another from a friends list. 

In reply to your first comment, I said specifically that bad news and bad behavior are different issues.  You don't seem to want to address the concept of bad behavior.  Why not?

Finally, I never said anybody should be given a label.  I ASKED if others would remove them from a friends list. 

I'm not sure why you're having problems interpreting what I've written.

Len

You obviously feel very strongly about this issue, can you share with us exactly what happend to you recently... that made you feel this way?

Jul 09 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Bearz Images wrote:
You obviously feel very strongly about this issue, can you share with us exactly what happend to you recently... that made you feel this way?

It all started with the lions and tigers and bearz.  Oh my.

Jul 09 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

So deleting someone from a friend's list is labelling and crucifying them?
Wow, I didn't realize I had so much power at my disposal.
I must consider the ramifications.

I wonder, does the person dropped even get a notification, or is it the case of a tree falling in the forest with no one to hear it?

Jul 09 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

starphotography wrote:
So deleting someone from a friend's list is labelling and crucifying them?
Wow, I didn't realize I had so much power at my disposal.
I must consider the ramifications.

I wonder, does the person dropped even get a notification, or is it the case of a tree falling in the forest with no one to hear it?

Hey, wanna try it out?  I'll send you a request, you grant it, then after I get you on my page, I'll tell you.  You can then delete me and I'll tell you what happens.  I know for sure some folks would LOVE the opportunity to delete me from their friends list.

Jul 09 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

It all started with the lions and tigers and bearz.  Oh my.

So you've not had any recent experiences with models from MM (or else where) who've made you feel so strongly about this issue?  Ok if  the model does exhibit "bad behavior" which you've not defined, is there anything that you might be able to do.. to help her/him get back on track? Say maybe reschedule the shoot?

If for some reason/s you don't want a particular person on YOUR friends list who cares? The issue is however if you were to decide someone was a "Flake" & then start to badmouth them to everyone.

Anyways I'd really be interested in hearing what happened to make you feel so strongly about this issue?

Jul 09 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

I have never met 98% of the people on my friends list, so take that into consideration

Jul 09 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Hey, wanna try it out?  I'll send you a request, you grant it, then after I get you on my page, I'll tell you.  You can then delete me and I'll tell you what happens.  I know for sure some folks would LOVE the opportunity to delete me from their friends list.

I look forward to a brief friendship!

Well...any notification?

Jul 09 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

starphotography wrote:

Aww, man, you're there for me!

Jul 09 06 03:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Brooke

Chicago, Illinois, US

Can't we all be a little flaky from time to time.  I may have brown hair, but I definitely have my blond moments.  I get ticked and put up tags, then later I think "why did I put up that tag".  Usually acting rash, always ends in regret.  I don't like regrets.  I also don't like coming on here ticked after two glasses of wine.  Now that makes me act rash!  Gotta have my wits about me.  Now, can't we all just get along.  Make love not war!!

Jul 09 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

starphotography wrote:

Well...any notification?

And now you're gone.  No notice of any kind.

Jul 09 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I feel so transient.

Jul 09 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

starphotography wrote:
I feel so transient.

You're cool.  I'm sending a repair memo.  ;-)

L.

Jul 09 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Friends for life.

Jul 09 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

starphotography wrote:
Friends for life.

Or until I flake.

Jul 09 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Photographers never flake, I'm pretty sure. 8)

Jul 09 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Nemi wrote:

I use the "Friends List" as a tool. To keep track of models who I would love to work with, or Photographers that I know or like what and how they shoot. I also like to keep track of some models that I like to look at  (Hey, I may be a photographer, but I am a semi alive male). For me.. I even keep the favorites list for those that I like to look at thier work.. and are usually not close enuf that I will ever get a chance to work with.

Jul 09 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

I like the way the friends list is setup now.  People use it for different reasons and I'm ok with that.  I have dropped the one or two people who have flaked on me.  I figure I don't need to drive traffic to their profile - it misrepresents us both.

Anyway, I hope the admins don't plan on changing anything.

Jul 09 06 03:45 pm Link