San Diego, California, US

What  Bokeh

Jul 09 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Its All Good Photogra wrote:
Bokeh

It is a Japanese (I think) word meaning blur...specifically the blur you get by having your lens wide open vs the sharpness when stopped down.

Example:

https://www.raveneyes.com/outofscale/IMG_3360.jpg

Jul 09 06 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Bokeh (from the Japanese boke ぼけ, "blur"[1]) is a photographic term describing the subjective aesthetic qualities of out-of-focus areas in an image produced by a camera lens. For example, causing an out-of-focus background image may reduce distractions and emphasize the primary subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

Jul 09 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

James Jackson wrote:
It is a Japanese (I think) word meaning blur...

More or less.  It is a difficult word to describe precisely.

But ... actually, I'm not posting to comment on your definition but to point out that it isn't an acronym, it is indeed a Japanese word.

We are so used to seeing combinations of letters that seem so out of place, it is interesting to see one that is actually a word.

Jul 09 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Its All Good Photo

San Diego, California, US

Thanks to all that replied and educated me.  I appreciate it.

Jul 10 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

lens are judged by having good bokeh. Some folks believe it some not. There  a tens or articles on the web about good bokeh.

Jul 10 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
lens are judged by having good bokeh. Some folks believe it some not. There  a tens or articles on the web about good bokeh.

While this is an aesthetic thing to be sure, some lenses do in fact produce better bokeh than others. It has to do with how many blades are in the diaphragm, and whether or not the edges are rounded. Nikon actually advertises "good bokeh" on a few of their lenses. Bad bokeh would be the out of focus highlights having distinct hard edges, as opposed to edges that are soft and aren't distracting or unnatural looking. The image used in this thread as an example has what I'd call good bokeh.

-P-

Jul 11 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

Mark Heaps

Austin, Texas, US

Pat Thielen wrote:

While this is an aesthetic thing to be sure, some lenses do in fact produce better bokeh than others. It has to do with how many blades are in the diaphragm, and whether or not the edges are rounded. Nikon actually advertises "good bokeh" on a few of their lenses. Bad bokeh would be the out of focus highlights having distinct hard edges, as opposed to edges that are soft and aren't distracting or unnatural looking. The image used in this thread as an example has what I'd call good bokeh.

-P-

I never knew about the rounded edges part...interesting!

Jul 11 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Joe Alcantar

Beaumont, California, US

Jul 11 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Jairo Cruz Rua

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

hey I belive that my 85mm 1.8 has good boke. I have other lenses that have sucky boke
It makes a difference
jairo

Jul 11 06 03:16 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
The image used in this thread as an example has what I'd call good bokeh.

Thanks!

That's from the Canon EOS 28-200mm f3.5-5.6 USM lens.

Jul 11 06 11:50 am Link