Forums > General Industry > How much to charge for modelling/acting headshots?

Photographer

Badluckcity Photography

London, Ontario, Canada

Hey guys

I need your input on something.

I have recently had a bunch of people coming to me looking to get headshots done for modelling and acting portfolios. This isn't an area that I have gotten into yet, so I am unsure of what to charge/what to give as far as prints, etc.

Photographers: Do any of you have a standard guideline you could tell me about, such as, you know, you get 'x' amount of photos ('x' amount of 8x10s, 'x' amount of 5x7s, etc.) for 'x' amount of dollars?

Models: What have you paid in the past for headshots, and what sort of package did the photographer give you (how many photos, what sizes, were they on cd or did they print them for you, etc.)

Any information you can give me on this subject would be EXTREMELY appreciated, or if you could direct me to a good website that contains this type of info.

Thanks in advance, everyone!!!

Jul 07 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

It all depends on your market...

Jul 08 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Fox

East Oakdale, California, US

I'm having the same issue. It used to be easy, Time+Cost+mark-up. Now, since I've found this site, I see that their is a whole slue of photographers that will do work for TFP/TFCD. Most of the kids that inquire just won't make the cut in the long run. I don't want to see anyone taken advantage of, but I don't want to turn away $$$. What to do, What to do... Should I go for the bones ($$$) or should I turn them out to some creep that will make them do thing their not ready to do. Damn this conscience of mine! LOL

Jul 08 06 03:19 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

My rate for a simple headshot.....$25....and gets you 1 1x10....and the file to take to the printers to have more printed.....clean and easy.....and seems to be very popular....I do quite  few for the local dance schools

If they want a name or information included on the shot.....$20 additional

Jul 08 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
My rate for a simple headshot.....$25....and gets you 1 1x10....and the file to take to the printers to have more printed.....clean and easy.....and seems to be very popular....I do quite  few for the local dance schools

If they want a name or information included on the shot.....$20 additional

I think thats too cheap . But it depends the market area  and your skill level too . Maybe $100-$150(US)Check out Backstage newspaper section for headshots   and what they charge . Select headshots on left hand side for category http://listings.vnuemedia.com/backstage … stings.asp

Jul 08 06 07:48 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

CameraSight wrote:

I think thats too cheap . But it depends the market area  and your skill level too . Maybe $100-$150(US)Check out Backstage newspaper section for headshots   and what they charge . Select headshots on left hand side for category http://listings.vnuemedia.com/backstage … stings.asp

I live in Ocala, Florida......and people here think it's expensive...LOL.....I had a studio in New Jersey.....you can be assured that was not my price up there...LOL

But now I shoot totally digital....so to produce a plain basic (nothing fancy) headshot.....given it only takes me 10 or so minutes to shoot it....print one out on my Canon printer and burn the file to disk....my cost...about $1.50 total....and I usually shoot 4-5 at a time and it takes me less than an hour....it's ok for me......

Jul 08 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
$25....and gets you 1 1x10

Dang, I know there's some skinny models in Florida, but that's just ridiculous! wink

I charge $100/hour for basic actors' headshots and for models who just want basic, non-artsy shots for their book to show to an agency in lieu of snapshots or Polaroids. They can choose up to three images for delivery. I adjust crop, contrast, color, curves, etc., but I don't retouch skin (unless there is NO alteration to appearance, such as removing a mascara flake).

I'm sure there are photographers who'll do anything free, but I don't do TFCD for that work--it doesn't significantly build my portfolio, creativity is limited, and (especially for actors) there's little opportunity for repeat business.

TFCD is reserved for the artistic, experimental, and fun work where no client is involved.

Jul 08 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Badluckcity Photography

London, Ontario, Canada

Richard Tallent wrote:
I'm sure there are photographers who'll do anything free, but I don't do TFCD for that work--it doesn't significantly build my portfolio, creativity is limited, and (especially for actors) there's little opportunity for repeat business.

TFCD is reserved for the artistic, experimental, and fun work where no client is involved.

Those are my feelings exactly.

I had someone in another forum tell me that because I am inexperienced in this particular field of photography, that I should try doing it TFP/CD, and I explained to her that even though I have not established myself as a headshot photographer, I am still quite experienced in other areas and am not going to undersell myself, because honestly... how hard it is to shoot a nice headshot? I think I have enough experience in other areas to compensate for that...

Jul 08 06 10:50 am Link