Forums > General Industry > Mac vs. MM

Photographer

Richard Cordero

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have found that when using my mac the site runs quite a bit slower than when I use a PC.  Anyone else have this problem?

Jul 07 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Richard Cordero wrote:
I have found that when using my mac the site runs quite a bit slower than when I use a PC.  Anyone else have this problem?

Thats because all MACs are slow compared to PCs, especially online. I thought this was common knowledge?

Jul 07 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Michael Bell wrote:
Thats because all MACs are slow compared to PCs, especially online. I thought this was common knowledge?

Now, now, Michael, play nice!

Jul 07 06 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

F-1 Photo

New York, New York, US

You mean he was kidding?

Jul 07 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

He was kidding.

Jul 07 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Majestic Visions

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I think it is Safari  ...  Try Firefox

Jul 07 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

I'm on a Mac at home and Windows at work, both on DSL and they seem to run about the same.. Well, maybe the windows runs slower only 'cause I don't have to restart every half hour due to crashing!! lol  j/k

Are you using Safari or IE?? I have found it seems to be a bit, not much, faster with Safari...

Jul 07 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Keith aka Wolfie wrote:
windows runs slower only 'cause I don't have to restart every half hour due to crashing!!

Im going to go with OE on this one Keith  smile

Jul 07 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I use a PowerBook and I had trouble downloading MM with Safari too.  FireFox fixed it nicely and is my default browser now (of the four I keep handy).

-Don

Jul 07 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

If you are running a G5, you may want to hunt down the version of Firefox specifically optomized for the G5.  On my dual 2.7, G5 Firefox it is my fastest browser, followed by mozilla Camino.  Safari can be problematic.

On the G4 & G3, Camino is the fastest.

Jul 07 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

hrm...actually MM runs much slower on my windows machine...I've done side by side tests...

Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6) on the Mac and the next to latest version of IE on the PC (not the latest which chokes on flash, but all the updates before that).

Jul 07 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Scott

Vancouver, Washington, US

Richard Cordero wrote:

Nope. Not me. Running Safari.

-- Dave

Jul 07 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Richard Cordero wrote:

My mac runs great...very fast...mucho better than the PC POS sitting on the desk next to it.
I dislike my pc so much...love my mac!!!!

Jul 07 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

EyeBully

New York, New York, US

Mac/G5/Safari here with NO problems!

Jul 08 06 06:32 am Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Love my apple machines and I wont run anything else but if running in good shape the PC will usually be a bit faster on the net. I think most browsers and web pages are designed and optimized for the PC a little better but then again we can surf without fear.

Jul 08 06 06:37 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Has Monster Mac never runs slow, it's the server on the other end that is working it's butt off slow. And for those PC'ers...guess you have to peddle a little faster to keep up speed. So stop blaming your system for running slow when you are online, it's the monkey behind the curtain that is moving the server to slow...click your heels three times now...there's no place like home

Jul 08 06 06:38 am Link

Model

Oriental Silk

For the past ten days I have had to access MM via other people's computers (mostly PC) while leading my study tour in Japan. Before that, I was logging-in from my hotel room in Washington DC. Now that I am back in the UK I can use my Apple 17" PowerBook with my regular broadband connection again. Obviously there are many variables involved, such as the speed of internet connection, but I noticed that MM seemed slower on the other computers.

https://www.solloway.demon.co.uk/web_images/akemi_avatar_1.jpg

Jul 08 06 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Ivan Venclova

Centreville, Alabama, US

I have both and this site runs the same : 0 to 60 in 900000 hours .

Jul 08 06 06:53 am Link

Model

Oriental Silk

Incidentally, I prefer to use the Camino web browser
https://www.caminobrowser.org/images/error.jpg
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/camino/

Jul 08 06 06:58 am Link

Model

Jared H

I am on linux, and the slow down had something to do with the browser asking the modem to read ipV6, (or something like that) find the config file to disable that and it should run faster I think.

Jul 08 06 07:15 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I use a Mac  Safari and Firefox

MM has server problems but I still like it here best

Firefox beats Safari every time and I no longer have IE on my machine

The Mac is light years ahead of the clunky Windows with Photoshop .

By the time you restart the PC several times while editing an image you see that even a PC with blinding clock speed is very slow compared to a machine that stays up.

Jul 08 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Visions Of Paradise

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Wow thx guys fire fox on my PPC G4 1.67 ghz works really faster night and day over safari

Jul 08 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

This reminds me of the Canon vs Nikon debate.......like that mac and pc both have their ups and downs.....work with both......after a while the only differences are the keystrokes......both can be a real pain in the ass........

Jul 08 06 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

I've compared MM on my machines

On my new MacBook Pro with Safari - no problems.
On my older Mac G3 tower I think the site works best with Firefox
And on my PC the site works best with IE

Mostly I think load lags are more due to time of day/day of week with MM. The site can be a rollercoaster of fast-slow-fast-slow just like any site where users do a lot of uploading (e.g. MySpace).

Jul 08 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Richard Cordero wrote:

MM ALWAYS runs VERY Slow . I'm a pc person ,LOL

Jul 08 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

Daguerre wrote:
If you are running a G5, you may want to hunt down the version of Firefox specifically optomized for the G5.  On my dual 2.7, G5 Firefox it is my fastest browser, followed by mozilla Camino.  Safari can be problematic.

On the G4 & G3, Camino is the fastest.

I didn't realize they had a version of Firefox optomized for the G5, I'm going to get it  It does seem slow to me compared to other places I go.

I do use firefox some, but mainly safari,  sometimes i have to use ie because they are still some sites that just don't like anything but ie.

Jul 08 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Well, between the constant flash animations, the dynamic html, the background music, the shifting colors, the avatar videos (how he got them to know my name.. Well, Tyler is a mad genius!), and the spiders.....

Wait a minute...

*ALLIE!  What did you put in my orange juice, dammit?!*

Jul 08 06 09:02 am Link

Model

Bailee Martini

Jacksonville, Alabama, US

i find that a lot of people who diss the mac do so because they have either never used one, or they used one once and didnt get it so they just said that it sucks (not saying this is true of people in this thread). i took a few years of a journalism/photography/web design class, and i miss running photoshop on the mac. like someone said, canon vs nikon, each system has its ups and downs and purposes for which it provides optimum performance.

but i find that mm runs ok on my work pc, and painfully slow on my home laptop, and often i have to shut it down. and if i am trying to open more than one page at once, i waits until whatever page from mm is 100% loaded before it will load all the other pages, which is a lifetime.

Jul 08 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Richard Cordero

Brooklyn, New York, US

Majestic Visions wrote:
I think it is Safari  ...  Try Firefox

I primarily use Firefox or Camino.... never Safari for MM.

Jul 09 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Cordero

Brooklyn, New York, US

Terry Breedlove wrote:
Love my apple machines and I wont run anything else but if running in good shape the PC will usually be a bit faster on the net. I think most browsers and web pages are designed and optimized for the PC a little better but then again we can surf without fear.

I agree!!  But shouldn't a site, dedicated to an industry that is MAC based, be optimized for MACs?  Or is it the "Prosumer" photographers that use this site that it is mostly geared to??

Jul 09 06 09:36 pm Link