Forums > General Industry > How many photographers pay models?

Photographer

CandyBBaddphotos

Houston, Alaska, US

I already had a topic on a similiar subject but I'm curious how many other photographers pay their models, especially on nude projects.

Though sometimes I may pay a model for fully clothed shoot, I really prefer ONLY to pay females who do some FULL nude shoots(implied don't really count) as that's my main want and needs.  But cause i'm doing this for enjoyment and not makin any money off it I'm on budget.  Do anyone else kinda agree wth my stance?

Jul 07 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

I've probably paid 15% of the models i've photographed.  Nudity, or lack there off doesn't allways determine if i pay a model or not.   My work with models is very collaborative.   If i'm in control from start to finish, then i usually will pay the model.

But it hasn't allways been cash.  Some take clothes as payment,  some take computers, once i swapped a k mount slr for time.

The  people i photographed tended to be friends of friends, or someone that saw my work in the frame shop.  They didn't want money they wanted the cool 16x20.

The web based models i've shot with tend to be very talented and worth payment.
They have the ability to put a game face on and warm up after only a roll.   Most of the free talent i've used has taken 2 or 3 hours to warm up and by then i'm done.

That being said i haven't shot a webmodel in 2.5 years.   The army really sucks the creativity out of you.  It's only been recently that i've been bitten by the creative bug again.   Once i redeploy i will beg, steal or barter to be able to shoot people again.  If this includes a model getting paid it won't bother me.

Jul 07 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Athearn

Boulder, Colorado, US

Since all I shoot is nudes, I ALWAYS pay my models. Not much money most of the time, but they all get paid.

Jul 07 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Paquette

Sacramento, California, US

I feel that both the Photographer and the Model benefit from a shoot equally, for the most part. Both people wish to expand, even diversify their portfolios as much as possible. Photographers spend money on backgrounds, lighting, camera equip, grip equip. They spend time finding locations, skecthing out ideas, etc. Models spend money on makeup, hair products, clothing and accessories. Models spend time preparing for shoots, working out, looking tan, setting aside time for Photographers, most likely on their days off.
   I can really only do TFCD shoots with them at this point in my career. It's only logical if a Model wants exactly what I want, to expand my portfolio so I can get more work with casting agencies. Obviously if a Model has a plethora of work, and he or she feels they've got enough to get things done, then they'll really have to like my shots to work with me.
   Just imagine a new Model asking me to pay them, just because they think they're the most beautiful specimen on earth? Imagine if I thought I was better than Herb Ritts, Annie Leibovitz, and Mark Seliger combined, and told every Model they must pay me to shoot them? In the Commercial and Advertising world, Models are paid by the CLIENT, not the Photographer. The Photographer bills the client, then pays the agency maybe, but it's not out of the Photographer's pocket.

Jul 07 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I pay in sandwiches, smoothies, coffee, and ramen.

All depends on what the images are going to be used for.

Jul 07 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I guess I come from another world.  I don't do any TFP.  I always pay.

Jul 07 06 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

With the majority of the shoots, I pay models.  Sometimes I'll do a TFP, for example if it's a new model.  I would not shoot nudes without money being exchanged!  Then there are a few models who pay me for their pictures too.

It's best to pay the models if you as the photographer wish to own the images free and clear.  That way you have a release signed, model compensated, and the ability to do as you want with the images for the most part.

Jul 07 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Art Liem

Los Angeles, California, US

I pay models when the pictures are for my portfolio.

Real models only - not pretty girls with no real modeling experience, no wardrobe, no professonalism, lots of attitude, a boyfriend as a manager, lots of pics taken by the spray and pray method, too many tatoos, too many skin blemishes, too many skin flaws, bad teeth, not the right body to height proportion, too fat or no references.

Paying the model is a whole lot easier. She gets paid and that's all she can expect.

Regards, Art.

Jul 07 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Darren Paquette wrote:
I feel that both the Photographer and the Model benefit from a shoot equally, for the most part.

I don't think that's true in most cases. Does each party get exactly what they want?

Suppose the images you give to the model aren't what she wants/can use ?

Suppose the model doesn't give you the poses/expression/emotion you want in your images.

I am happy to do trade work, but for something I want, I'll find a specific model and pay for her time/look/expertise at modeling. If she doesn't like the results, she has no complaints as she has been compensated.

Everyone should work out shoots as best suits them and not worry about what others do.

Jul 07 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Alberti

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I never pay models. I feel my work is as valuable as theirs. I will occasionaly do TFP with the right model.

Jul 07 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I almost always pay.  I always paid when I first started and then models started contacting me to shoot TFP.  Can't say no to that but I still throw in for gas and travel time.

Jul 07 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Paquette

Sacramento, California, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
I don't think that's true in most cases. Does each party get exactly what they want?

Suppose the images you give to the model aren't what she wants/can use ?

Suppose the model doesn't give you the poses/expression/emotion you want in your images.

I am happy to do trade work, but for something I want, I'll find a specific model and pay for her time/look/expertise at modeling. If she doesn't like the results, she has no complaints as she has been compensated.

Everyone should work out shoots as best suits them and not worry about what others do.

Absolutely, I agree. That's why I tell them exactly what I want to do after I ask them what they're interested in doing.

A. I'm building a portfolio to show casting agencies. I'm fresh out of school, and want to work with Models who have similar goals, as far as working with agencies.
B. I am always open to any ideas/ goals that a Model has for me, it's a trade shoot, so I'm not a stickler. I'll even offer a free family photo session (on location) if they don't have any ideas.
C. as far as getting expressions, well that's on ME as a "director" and it's my job to get the Model to express herself in the way I'm looking for. Most Models I've dealt with have been friends from college, and friends from before college (no modeling experience). I was making a point about egos between Models and Photgs. that seems to be total B.S.

Jul 08 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I only pay EXCEPTIONAL models...I can't tell you what EXCEPTIONAL means however, you'll just have to guess.

*who says models can't teach us anything?*

Jul 08 06 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I have payed 3 models to work with me from this site but am about to do two TFP shoots.

Jul 08 06 06:33 am Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

If the shoot is for a third party client who is paying for the photos, I pay the model. Otherwise, the model (or her agent) pays me or it's TFP.

Jul 08 06 06:36 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

As a general rule I don't pay to shoot fashion, since I am already testing with the agency girls here in Los Angeles for free.  Pictures for the portfolios of everyone participating in the test should satisfy.  Actually - since I shoot film - I'm usually the team member who spends the most money on a test, especially when I am not shooting with a stylist.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jul 08 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I pay models for nearly all nude work- using a commercial release. Have done some tfp nudework with noncommercial release- with models seeking experience.
Fashion.glamour,lingerie is always tfp- but I provide makeup ,lunch.  I treat models as valued collaborators, in principle.  Their talent ,not mine, is what makes memorable images.

Jul 09 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

All of my model shoots are paid.

Jul 09 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lou DiGesare

Scotia, New York, US

Absolutely Never... only pay when a  client needs a model and in that case the client pays the model directly upon signing what ever releases they need...

Jul 09 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

My cliants pay me and the models...And I have been known to pay a model now and then if I want to try something out..

Mike

Jul 09 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

We pay all of our models for our stock work.

Jul 09 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Nope. I have very reasonable rates when a model wants a shoot for her purposes (provided that I have the time), and I'll shoot trade when I have a use. That's 98% of my time. I don't shoot for a living, but I also don't undervalue my time.

On the very occasional commercial project, models are compensated by my publisher and/or financial backer(s). Typically, I take a percentage of the project as my compensation, as I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't think it had a good chance of being profitable.

Lately, I've been considering being one of those financial backers for other photographers who show commercial promise. But I do silly things like that.

Jul 09 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CandyBBaddphotos wrote:
I already had a topic on a similiar subject but I'm curious how many other photographers pay their models, especially on nude projects.

Though sometimes I may pay a model for fully clothed shoot, I really prefer ONLY to pay females who do some FULL nude shoots(implied don't really count) as that's my main want and needs.  But cause i'm doing this for enjoyment and not makin any money off it I'm on budget.  Do anyone else kinda agree wth my stance?

Darren Paquette wrote:
In the Commercial and Advertising world, Models are paid by the CLIENT, not the Photographer. The Photographer bills the client, then pays the agency maybe, but it's not out of the Photographer's pocket.

Darren's answer is bang on, and it's worth repeating:  clients pay for everything.  CandyBBadd rightly qualified his thread topic, however, by stating that he shoots for pleasure, not for a living.  In that case, I think it really becomes a shoot-by-shoot decision on who pays what.  If you shoot as a hobby, best to solicit models who model for a hobby as well and work out some sort of arrangement - the aspiring professional models will be less likely to do freebies (particularly nudes).

Jul 09 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

We pay all of our models for our stock work.

Jul 09 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

well  it depends.... sometimes i just entice one of my friend but if i want something real.. i go through and agency thou i would have to pay for a release!!! if i wanna use my shots for commercial purposes.... .... so i pay the agency not the model..... then they do whatever they want  even thou 1day i ended up with amodel with fake breasticles!!!

Jul 09 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

HSI

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I do......unless they contact me first  for tfp.....

Jul 09 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

I haven't paid a model since first starting out where I paid 3-4 models $25hr to practice on late 80's.
I play primarily within the major agency testing paradigm, so I don't pay for models. But as someone already pointed out, even with no-cost models, the project can be expensive for the photographer, particularly when you have to do the stylist's job.

I really don't do many nudes and the nudes I have done are primarily models I have worked with that subsequently express an interest - so again I don't pay...

Bottom line I think - I'm not a client.

John

Jul 09 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

D Fish

Springfield, Missouri, US

CandyBBaddphotos wrote:

The only time is when I have a workshop because I get a fee from photographers .... Some models told me there are people having workshops big time and don't give nothing!

Jul 09 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

VonJay

New Haven, Michigan, US

Never paid a model.

Jul 09 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

*2E*

Yorba Linda, California, US

Lou DiGesare wrote:
Absolutely Never... only pay when a  client needs a model and in that case the client pays the model directly upon signing what ever releases they need...

AMEN LOU...(My policy is the same as yours!)

Jul 09 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Iain Daddy

Epsom and Ewell, England, United Kingdom

Lou DiGesare wrote:

I work that way too although sometimes I do pay (not often) and if I do some work and sell it later I will always split the profit with the model.

Jul 09 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Davis

Summerville, South Carolina, US

If I have a project that I am working on, then I will pay a model for her time. If the model contacts me and says" I like your work, can we set up a shoot", she pays me. But on the other hand if a model contacts me with a look that can benefit me also , we can set up a TFP.

Jul 09 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Only for certain projects. Nude or not.

Jul 09 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Just to state the painfully obvious:

If a model needs a photographer, I assume the model will pay.

If a photographer needs a model, I assume the photographer will pay.

If they need each other, I assume they'll come to some mutually equitable arrangement.

In my case, I usually need the model, and for the most part, what I do doesn't help the model that much. But I have had a few situations where I've been offered payment going into the shoot. I usually work out something else, because I just can't quite see me as a "pro."

Jul 09 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i never photoed a "model" (1 person i did photo that is interested in modeling but i picked her up off the street also) i pick people off the street i offer them a cd with there photos and i have very few that pick the cd up when i contact them to tell them it is ready so no i never payed for any one to pose for me

on the other hand if i had the $$$ there is a few i seen that i would pay for and if i ever did get the $$$ i would do my best to pay them well

the only person that i have ever photoed that was interested in modeling

https://newton-i.usefilm.com/images/1/7/9/9/1799/460765-large.jpg

Jul 09 06 11:38 pm Link

Model

ElizabethTullCurtsinger

Wichita, Kansas, US

I have yet to work with a photographer that has paid me in money.

However....I have gotten a LOT out of it. I've recieved advice from people with more experience then me, a start on a portfolio, experience, and a lot of fun......

I'd say that's just as good. For now anyways.

Jul 09 06 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Artists paying models is a fine old tradition that goes back centuries.  Models paying photographers goes back mere decades.

I have no problem in theory with paying models.  But I don't.  Here's why:

My work is very intimate.  It can't be done with models who are there for the money.  It must be done with models who are there because they want to be part of the art.  Trading images for modeling is the filter I use to assure I'm working with the right women.   

That said, I've paid three models in twenty years.  Not because they were the best or anything, but because I knew them personally and knew they really needed the money.

-Don

Jul 09 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

I almost always pay models.
I shoot on spec. for men's magazines, and now websites.
I say almost because their are some that will model for either the thrill of getting published, or to get more exposure for their career as a feature dancer, adult  actress, etc.

Paul

Jul 10 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

noohoggin1

Shakopee, Minnesota, US

Personally I no longer pay unless it's a model  who's really special and/or will pose nude.  Most of my non-pay models initiate the interest in working with me.

Best,
Tom

Jul 10 06 01:51 am Link