Forums > General Industry > No Tearsheet, no pics either?

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I did a shoot about 3 weeks ago with myself and 4 other girls for a magazine. Next thing I knew, the project folded. I was promised a tearsheet in the mag out of the project. I went to look at the pictures taken and I wanted 2 of the 600. The photog told me "No, you have to pay me $85 and I will get you a cd". I feel shafted! I told him that he promised the models  tearsheets as if he were representative of the magazine and I wanted some form of compensation because we weren't getting paid. Is that unreasonable?

Jul 07 06 03:13 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

bump

Jul 07 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mason Hladun

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Sounds like your photographer may not have explained himself.

It was probably a speculative assignment for him that didn't sell.
It is totally unreasonable, however, that he won't even sell you prints of the 2 shots you like for a reasonable price.

Good luck

Jul 07 06 03:46 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mason Models wrote:
Sounds like your photographer may not have explained himself.

It was probably a speculative assignment for him that didn't sell.
It is totally unreasonable, however, that he won't even sell you prints of the 2 shots you like for a reasonable price.

Good luck

Well we spoke several times regarding the assignment and the same thing was explained to the other girls (we discussed it afterwards). I was pissed because I test shot with him for 5 hours a few days before the actual shoot, and then we all were out there in the hot ass sun for 8 hours on the day of the actual shoot. He didn't want us to eat anything, etc. I felt like I put in all that work for nothing, while he acted as a rep for this mag. He has all these pictures of us and we don't have anything. It just seems like a TFP with no prints for me, just him.

Jul 07 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

All in all it sounds like this photographer is doing the right thing by you.  Sorry to hear you're getting such horrible treatment.

Jul 07 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

Did you sign anything saying what you were supposed to get? If you did and the tearsheet was part of the compensation that he did not deliver I would think he should provide something of equal value as a substitute... I AM NOT A LAWYER SO MY ADVICE ON THIS IS WORTH THE COST OF MY LAW DEGREE.

what that would be in this case? I have no idea.

Common decency would say that he should give you at least the 2 images that you are asking for.

Jul 07 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Well, we have a new term now, TFZ.  That is Time for Zip!

Jul 07 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

PUT THE AGREEMENT IN WRITING BEFORE THE SHOOT.

nuff said.

Jul 07 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Jonas

Pasadena, California, US

i keep hearing the term "tearsheet", what exactly is this. in school its used as a reference to pages torn from magazines for inspiration & reference, however on here its being used in a different context.

Jul 07 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

the photog didn't play it like he was doing magazine submissions. I would have never done it. He solicited me and told me it wasn't TFP, and we were definitely getting a tearsheet for the mag. He got us all riled up and told us the pics were for the July issue of the mag, but now he "can't reach them" and neither can I. I'm not saying this was completely his fault, if the magazine folded, but something needs to happen for the five models involved. Maybe the rest of the girls are willing to pay, but I already have a book. This project was for something specific and somehow, I can't get any photos, I wasn't paid, nor do I have a tearsheet, and he's using my photos on his sites.

Jul 07 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Bryan Benoit wrote:
Did you sign anything saying what you were supposed to get?

brian, you may have mis-spoke, the model cant sign anything, that would create an obligation for the photog provide anything..

otherwise, i will sign a paper that says you have to pay then rent on my studio....

Jul 07 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

brian, you may have mis-spoke, the model cant sign anything, that would create an obligation for the photog provide anything..

otherwise, i will sign a paper that says you have to pay then rent on my studio....

I meant some type of contract or something that specified the compensation... That is why I am NOT a lawyer... or an officer of the court... or an officer of the law.. or the law.. or an officer of any type... ;o)

Jul 07 06 04:48 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

Hopefully you have contract with these images and you have copy of it...

I not sure if your images are or aren't this magazine. If they are it looks like your going to have to buy the mag and tear the sheets.

Jul 08 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

He promised you a tearsheet or tearsheets but sounds like it was speculative shoot on his part. I guess you didn't get a clear understanding of what it was before he shot it. If there's nothing published and you didn't sign anything. You can try getting together with the other models and demand some prints instead.

If you put in 8 hours of work in anticipation of the sheets, you should be compensated for it. But without a clear understanding of some kind, you have to appeal to his sense of fair play to get your due (and the other model's). You may have more luck pressuring him as a group.

It sounds like he's trying to get money somehow out of it - in this case from the models. Not a very nice thing to do. Appeal to his common sense (if he has any), after all future jobs (using models) and reputation are at stake for him. Oh, and in the future if he wants any release signed before publication - he needs your cooperation, so it would be good sense on his part go keep you happy. Tell him that.

Jul 08 06 06:30 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Was this an ad posted on MM by any chance? Just makin sure this isn't who I think it is...

Jul 08 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

Jonas Lara wrote:
i keep hearing the term "tearsheet", what exactly is this. in school its used as a reference to pages torn from magazines for inspiration & reference, however on here its being used in a different context.

Pretty much the same thing as you described.  If your photo ends up in print like a magazine, you tear the page out of the magazine and put it in your portfolio book.  Then you scan it and add it to your electronic Portfolio.  If it appears on a website, it's still a "tear sheet." Just hit the print screen key which captures all of the page, or take a "screenshot" using a program like hypersnap.

-Glenn

Jul 08 06 09:10 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ANNABELLA wrote:
Was this an ad posted on MM by any chance? Just makin sure this isn't who I think it is...

nope it was OMP

Jul 09 06 12:19 am Link