Forums > General Industry > Is it worth it?

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

Do you think it is worth the investment to pay a very in demand celebrity photographer $1,700 to shoot a model w/ 3 looks? ($500 for each additional look) He shoot's for Carmen Electra, Pam Anderson,Maxim,Playboy etc.

I am shooting with 2 other celebrity photographer's, TFP, one is paying for my gas and the other is flying to my location.
I know one of them films for E and HBO and makes a few grand a day, but will shoot TFP with me,what is your opinion? I don't really have that much money.........

Kisses,
MEL

Jul 07 06 10:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I would say no at this point in your career.  There are PLENTY of great photographers that are not as expensive that you can work with and get great images.

What direction are you going in?  Glamour, fashion...??

Jul 07 06 10:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

it is a tough call, if you really like the photographer and really want his images than $1700 is what it will cost, he might just not be interested in TFP. If somebody wants to work with me and there is nothing to gain, I charge my day rate.

Also, there are a lot of photographers that try to pass themselves off as "big shots" but they really aren't. So do your research before you pay anybody, usually celebrity photographers will pull models from agencies or they will use already established models if and when they decide to do testing- and if they are a celebrity photographer... they will have their pick of nearly any model.

Jul 07 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

John W Cochran

Auburn, Alabama, US

I'd save my money, unless I truely felt it would really help my carear.  So by asking I thank you have doubts.  But sometime meeting and working with people does lead to more work etc...

Like the stuff in your portfolio by the way.

Jul 07 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Not a pro, so hopefully folks with more experience will come in and correct this..

But while it'd be good to be able to say, I've worked with so-and-so..  Unless that 1700$ comes with a networking plan that's going to get those pictures seen by the kind of people you need to sit up and take notice (agencies, other well known photogs, potential future clients)..  The value of said photos drops quite a bit..

It's not just a matter of what you've got in your book, but who you can get to see it..

Now, if you already know such potential sources of networking revenue.. Then having something that noteworthy (if indeed 1700 dollar pictures from the famous "so-and-so" are really note worthy, I have no clue).. Then it might be a worthwhile investment...

If nothing else that all seemed to make sense while I was typing it.

Jul 07 06 11:35 am Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Rhonda McLendon wrote:
I would say no at this point in your career.  There are PLENTY of great photographers that are not as expensive that you can work with and get great images.

What direction are you going in?  Glamour, fashion...??

That is a very good question. Obviously not fashion/runway I am 5'4".
As of late I finally got into print in the 5th issue of Kiss Magazine as the featured Girl of Kiss.(2 pages) That was a big deal, I am not only a fan, but a drummer too.
I am also working on my 3rd & 4th book project with seperate photographers.
The Digital Boudoir Photography book released last month has over 60 pics of me in it.It will be showcased at Barnes & Nobles from mid July-September.
I have shot now with over 20 photographers and need to find my direction.
The field is narrow, considering my height/age and I have kids so I can't travel for long periods. Any suggestions? I finally have 5 paid shoots this month, 1 is underwater!

Kisses,
MEL

Jul 07 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Long Island City

Beverly Hills, California, US

nope, not worth it, when you can shoot with me for tfcd.

just get yourself to NYC.

Jul 07 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Simmons Tobias Photo

San Francisco, California, US

Ive known models/actors that paid big bucks because someone was a celebrity photographer only to get images that they didnt even like.  Dont hire someone based on their ability to know celebrities.  Hire them based on if you like their work or not, and feel that they will be able to accomplish shots you are proud of.

Jul 07 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Depends on what happens to the shots.

Jul 07 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bonita Photography

Bonita, California, US

Is there really that great of a shortage of good TFCD photographers out there that can't get you the look you want?

Jul 07 06 09:33 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

This is a no brainer...

John W Cochran wrote:
I'd save my money, unless I truely felt it would really help my carear.  So by asking I think you have doubts.  But sometimes meeting and working with people does lead to more work etc...

Well said!

Jul 07 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

WE ALL WANNA HAVE OUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!!!!

Jul 07 06 10:24 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Well for instance the 1st celeb photography that I shot a quickie with in Reno will submit me for magazines. Then the magazines pay me seperately and pay him seperately. One magazine is $1,400 for me and they already like/approved my look.
We would shoot for about 4 different magazines.  I am not sure what the photographer gets money wise...... That is why I am not "getting" the "you pay me $1,700" from the other celeb photographer.I obviously don't have anything he is looking for! That's life......

Kisses,
MEL

Jul 08 06 01:23 am Link