Forums > General Industry > Growing, uh, off you

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Do you ever find yourself growing to hate certain images in your portfolio that you know to be strong just because you've seen them so damn many times?

Jul 06 06 11:51 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

yup. and i also find myself biased I suppose. everyone else's work is so great to me, but not my own...

Jul 06 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Angel Tara wrote:
everyone else's work is so great to me, but not my own...

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP!

Jul 06 06 11:54 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Len Cook Photographer wrote:

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP!

It's that humility again. I'd say she's faking it, but she's too darn consistent. wink

Jul 06 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
It's that humility again. I'd say she's faking it, but she's too darn consistent. wink

Well, I only send her fan mail about, oh, once a day, so I'm not ABOUT to stand around and let her dis herself.

At least you and I are close enough so we can work together.

Jul 07 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

Len Cook Photographer wrote:
…so I'm not ABOUT to stand around and let her dis herself.

I commend your efforts.

Jul 07 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
Do you ever find yourself growing to hate certain images in your portfolio that you know to be strong just because you've seen them so damn many times?

Yes, but I think that lends itself to keeping your portfolio fresh.  If nothing in your book is over 6 months old, you're a) getting enough new photos all the time and b) never going to get bored with what you have.

Jul 07 06 01:31 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Yes, but if it's one of my all-time best shots, I'm not going to take it down just for the heck of it.

Jul 07 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

I totally feel you.  I have a few shots that certain people just completely love despite the fact that they are several years old.  Whenever I get compliments on those particular images I can't help but roll my eyes a bit.  It's not that the images are bad, it's just that I'm really sick of them.

I imagine really famous photographers have this problem to a much higher degree.

Jul 07 06 03:04 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Andrew Kaiser wrote:
I imagine really famous photographers have this problem to a much higher degree.

You must be right. I didn't even think of that.

Jul 07 06 03:49 am Link

Model

Aeon Elysian

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

I can relate, but trying to overcome/outdo whatever presence the older pictures brought on is more rewarding

Jul 07 06 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Angel Tara wrote:
yup. and i also find myself biased I suppose. everyone else's work is so great to me, but not my own...

A true artist is always thier own worst critic...

Jul 07 06 07:09 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Not really...but I was told at one time..."never fall in love with your images......as soon as you can replace them"......I think it's good advice

Jul 07 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

John Fisher

Miami Beach, Florida, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

Anyone who is serious about this business feels this way from time to time. It is also true that when I see someone else's book, it's not uncommon for me to want to set my own portfolio on fire. It's healthy to be a little insecure about your work, it does act as a catalist to constantly strive to raise the level of your game.

That said, one thing any successful saleman will tell you is that the potential customer you are showing your sample sheets to  has probably never seen those pictures before. Some of those shots may bore you to death, but the very reason they have stayed in your book so long is exactly the reason they should probably remain there. I have shots in my own portfolio which bore me silly, but always draw a positive comment when people see them.

Keep your book fresh, update from time to time, continue to grow, but understand if you're a professional your book is not something to amuse your friends, but rather a selling tool to assist you in securing new clients.

https://www.johnfisher.com/images/flower.jpg

This picture has become a cliché, after seven years it bores me silly, and I have personal reasons not to want to spend a lot of time staring at it. But...... it never fails to draw a positive comment when a new prospect is going through my portfolio and so it will probably be the last picture of mine people will see when they close the lid on my casket. So it goes.

John
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida  33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com

Jul 07 06 08:01 am Link