Forums > General Industry > Shoot for Elite Models Interv.... any suggestions?

Photographer

Kristen Weaver

Orlando, Florida, US

Today (I know, I've given you lots of notice - I'm meeting her in 2 hours) I'm working with a girl who has an interview with Elite Model Management and needs some pictures. I know she needs one head shot and one body shot. This all happened pretty quickly, and they just contacted me to do their shoot. I usually like a little more prep time, but I can work pretty well on the fly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what Elite might be looking for? Should I keep everything casual, or do some high fashion? I'll probably take a little of both - but I want to give her a big variety to choose from for her interview, so I'd like to focus on what will be the best for Elite.

Thanks!1

Jul 06 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Not much time for getting makeup/etc in there, but the first thing I'd do is look at the Elite website. http://www.elitemodel.com/

Good luck!!!
Wm

Jul 06 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Kristen Weaver wrote:
Today (I know, I've given you lots of notice - I'm meeting her in 2 hours) I'm working with a girl who has an interview with Elite Model Management and needs some pictures. I know she needs one head shot and one body shot. This all happened pretty quickly, and they just contacted me to do their shoot. I usually like a little more prep time, but I can work pretty well on the fly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what Elite might be looking for? Should I keep everything casual, or do some high fashion? I'll probably take a little of both - but I want to give her a big variety to choose from for her interview, so I'd like to focus on what will be the best for Elite.

Thanks!1

Go on their site and see what's being presented. Ask the booker for expectations (what's needed for this model), see what she's missing.

If you're showing them images - keep it clean...

Catalogy is always good... But my experience is mostly Elite Chicago which is more of a catalog market.
John

Jul 06 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

ActionShots Photo

Barboursville, West Virginia, US

Take everything and be ready to shoot whatever... that is a suggestion.

Here is a word of advice...

I have a model I have worked with here in WV that is 6' 1" and weighs in at 117 lbs.
She is having a hard time getting them to book her because they say she needs to loose 1/2 an inch on her waist. (Which is complete BS btw...)

SOO... good luck!

Jul 06 06 02:11 pm Link

Model

Boboshadodo1

Encinitas, California, US

I am very famliar with Elite models. They want to SEE the model so it would be good to get a really good high fasion shot of her so that she can show what she CAN dress up like, but get a plain shot (obviously, try to make it beautiful but don't use tricky lighting or anything) just to show Elite what the model looks like on her own (they need to study bone structure and actually see if the beauty the model has is A) Extraordinary and B) Roughly in the same ballpark of all the other models. Definately get a headshot and body shot, I would say get her a good profile shot and even a semi-profile shot to show off the angles of her face (like a side shot of her slightly turning and looking at you). Well good luck!

Bo

Jul 06 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen Weaver

Orlando, Florida, US

Second Glance wrote:
Not much time for getting makeup/etc in there, but the first thing I'd do is look at the Elite website. http://www.elitemodel.com/

Good luck!!!
Wm

Thank you for this piece of advise! It never even occured to me to check the site (sometimes, I can be a ditz when I'm rushed). I'm glad I did - they offered suggestions for shots and somewhat of what they're looking for.

I think I'm in good shape (think??), but it's absolutely wonderful to get your opinions on this!!

Jul 06 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen Weaver

Orlando, Florida, US

Boboshadodo1 wrote:
I am very famliar with Elite models. They want to SEE the model so it would be good to get a really good high fasion shot of her so that she can show what she CAN dress up like, but get a plain shot (obviously, try to make it beautiful but don't use tricky lighting or anything) just to show Elite what the model looks like on her own (they need to study bone structure and actually see if the beauty the model has is A) Extraordinary and B) Roughly in the same ballpark of all the other models. Definately get a headshot and body shot, I would say get her a good profile shot and even a semi-profile shot to show off the angles of her face (like a side shot of her slightly turning and looking at you). Well good luck!

Bo

I will definitely take all of that to the shoot with me! When I talked to the girl, all she said was a head and body shot, so I wasn't given much to go on. I'm best at natural lighting, and natural looking work - I love that kind of beauty. So hopefully it won't rain and everything will work out smile

Jul 06 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

So..let's see the pictures....

Jul 06 06 11:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

ActionShots Photo wrote:
Take everything and be ready to shoot whatever... that is a suggestion.

Here is a word of advice...

I have a model I have worked with here in WV that is 6' 1" and weighs in at 117 lbs.
She is having a hard time getting them to book her because they say she needs to loose 1/2 an inch on her waist. (Which is complete BS btw...)

SOO... good luck!

let me guess her hips are a 34.5 or a 35 and they need them to be a 34...

she isn't the only one, i have worked with a couple of gorgeous models whose agencies wont send them on castings till their hips are 34.

did you mean her hips or waist?

Jul 07 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

For Elite LA:  No hair.  No makeup.  No styling.  No acessories. No stylish beauty lighting.  NO RETOUCHING!  Do not add any stylistic beauty to the images whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!  Put that camera on automatic, find some open shade and fire away!

The fashion agencies have tended over the years to gravitate towards slice of life imagery.

That is why over the years of testing with Elite LA, I've always had to do 2 shoots in one--  a styled beauy shoot for me and my team, and a yawner set for the agency.

Remember-- CLEAN.  And whatever you do-- don't put too much effort into it!  smile

Jul 07 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

rachelrose wrote:
Let me guess her hips are a 34.5 or a 35 and they need them to be a 34...

she isn't the only one, i have worked with a couple of gorgeous models whose agencies won't send them on castings till their hips are 34.

did you mean her hips or waist?

One of the things that I have noticed over the years and confirmed by the bookers with whom I have personally worked, is that there are a lot of reasons for not taking on a model, but half an inch in any diection is not one of them.  These are excuses to say: don't call us, we'll call you.  Its pretty hard to be stick thin and loose 1/2 inch.  And its REALLY hard to grow taller by half an inch!  But you might try anyway...

I don't believe that an agency would hold up a model from a go see for half an inch on the hips.  Unless it is a super specific client, the type that are extremely rare.  I've held too many castings, worked with too many 35" hipped models who are listed as 34" to believe that.  Its not that critical, and I've never seen a client measure the model. (a few might). She fits the clothes or she does not.  And usually a bit tight is better than a bit loose...

Jul 07 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Daguerre wrote:
For Elite LA:  No hair.  No makeup.  No styling.  No acessories. No stylish beauty lighting.  NO RETOUCHING!  Do not add any stylistic beauty to the images whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!  Put that camera on automatic, find some open shade and fire away!

The fashion agencies have tended over the years to gravitate towards slice of life imagery.

That is why over the years of testing with Elite LA, I've always had to do 2 shoots in one--  a styled beauy shoot for me and my team, and a yawner set for the agency.

Remember-- CLEAN.  And whatever you do-- don't put too much effort into it!  smile

what are you talking about?!?

Jul 07 06 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Tonino Guzzo

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

How true this is,CLEAN & SIMPLE...its all about show-casing the talent...not the photographer...good luck and lets see the pic's!

Jul 07 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Daguerre wrote:

Sean Armenta wrote:
What are you talking about?!?

Most of the LA agencies, Elite included, just want to see simple, clean, not much styling done for the new face division women.  Just show what they look like, nothing fancy. Model management women are another story.  But the OP is talking about photographing someone that will end up in new faces.

Jul 07 06 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Kristen Weaver

Orlando, Florida, US

Thanks for all your discussion! It helped me  a lot during the shoot. I actually added 3 of Morgan's shots to my port (one is my main pic). She did really well but needed A LOT of direction and had difficulty just being herself. But what can I say, she IS only 16, never modeled before, and it's tough when you bring your entire family to the shoot.

Overall, she (and her parents and sister) were very pleased with the finished product. From what I know, she's getting everything printed today and has her interview on Tuesday.

The 3 pics I put up are some of my favorites (out of 100, I have about 20 "favorite" shots...) but I actually think she used some different ones for her portfolio. My faves aren't necessarily what the agent is looking for. I think this weekend I'm going to add her shoot to my website, so I'll let you know if I put them all up there.

And I definately took your advice on not putting too much effort in! It was a joy to work with Morgan and we had a lot of fun! I think I might suggest to her to join MM... but I'll have to see how that works since she's only 16.

Jul 07 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

dexter fletcher photo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Kristen Weaver wrote:

Thanks!1

definately High fashion

Jul 07 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

You did a nice job. If they take her on, they'll send her out commercially.  I don't really see her as fashion.  But its a subjective game, you never know.  Let us know what happens...

Jul 07 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Daguerre wrote:

Daguerre wrote:

Most of the LA agencies, Elite included, just want to see simple, clean, not much styling done for the new face division women.  Just show what they look like, nothing fancy. Model management women are another story.  But the OP is talking about photographing someone that will end up in new faces.

i've been shooting tests for most of the major agencies in LA including elite for a long time now.  a good percentage of my work ends up on the front of these girl's cards.  my work is far from un-stylized and i never ever shoot agency girls without hair and makeup. 

as long as the work is good, they will use it.  if they want to see a girl without makeup and hair done, they shoot polaroids.  i mean, what is the point of shooting a test if you're not going to put any effort into it?

i will agree with you that the girl is better off walking into an agency (having never modeled before) with simple point and shoot snaps.  but once you're testing with photographers, you need to go the whole 9 or don't do it at all.

Jul 07 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen Weaver

Orlando, Florida, US

Daguerre wrote:
You did a nice job. If they take her on, they'll send her out commercially.  I don't really see her as fashion.  But its a subjective game, you never know.  Let us know what happens...

Yeah, she's definately more commercial than anything else. She has a gorgeous body, but she still looks really young in her face - her bone structure doesn't really show like I'm guessing they like. But, I don't know much about what they look for in girls under 18... so maybe it's different?

Jul 07 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kristen Weaver

Orlando, Florida, US

I had to really dig deep in the archives to find this post... but just for reference...

My little Morgan got signed to Elite!!

I'm so proud of her smile

Jul 13 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

Read my profile... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!..For some tips....

Manny D.

Jul 13 06 11:08 pm Link