Forums > General Industry > Magazined used my img without asking or informing!

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

ward wrote:
Fine, don't take my advice. sad

LMAO it takes money to sue peoples! I dont want to
have to take out a loan if i dun have toooo -_-

Jul 06 06 12:56 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

*sulks*

Jul 06 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Kassandra wrote:

Oh very good idea! Hmm..one thing im a lil worried about,sine letters take longer to get to thier destination..do you think i should wait a day to see if i get a responce from the people before sending out a letter ?I can imagine me sendin hte letter out today and then getting a phone call that night LOL

*I* wouldn't worry about that, but it's up to you.  If you get a call tonight, just say, "Oh, by the way, I sent you a letter in the mail, certified earlier today as well."

In the letter I'd just say something along the lines of:

To whom it may concern:

The image published by your magazine in issue ## dated ##/## on page ## is a photograph of me taken by me, Full Legal Name and the copyright is owned by me as well.

Please contact me at:

Full contact info
Address
Phone Number
Email

As soon as possible to resolve this matter.

Thank you,

That way you're not making any demands before you've spoken to them, and you're not threatening...yet...

Jul 06 06 01:02 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

James Jackson wrote:

Kassandra wrote:
Oh very good idea! Hmm..one thing im a lil worried about,sine letters take longer to get to thier destination..do you think i should wait a day to see if i get a responce from the people before sending out a letter ?I can imagine me sendin hte letter out today and then getting a phone call that night LOL

*I* wouldn't worry about that, but it's up to you.  If you get a call tonight, just say, "Oh, by the way, I sent you a letter in the mail, certified earlier today as well."

In the letter I'd just say something along the lines of:

That way you're not making any demands before you've spoken to them, and you're not threatening...yet...

Thanks for the advice!! lol the last part is great.. let me pull my Claudia (interview with the vampire) Routeen..lure them in with my doll like innocents and then drain them of thier life ess---er...wait...well..You get the idea! LOL

Jul 06 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Kassandra wrote:

Thanks for the advice!! lol the last part is great.. let me pull my Claudia (interview with the vampire) Routeen..lure them in with my doll like innocents and then drain them of thier life ess---er...wait...well..You get the idea! LOL

It's so cute when girls try to talk tough... big_smile

Jul 06 06 01:06 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

James Jackson wrote:

It's so cute when girls try to talk tough... big_smile

*pout* then why wasnt my school board not giving me teddy bears and lollipops for the countless times i petitioned them,reported them to variouse organizations and sent home flyers to kids parents and came in threatening to bring them to court? Ohhh, the good old days! lmfao course, once i graduated they re-enstated the dress code, have toxic mold in the bathrooms agian and does the phrase "blue room" come to mind?LoL

Jul 06 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kassandra wrote:

LMAO it takes money to sue peoples! I dont want to
have to take out a loan if i dun have toooo -_-

You won't be the last one they get away with doing it to then.

Jul 06 06 01:10 pm Link

Model

AuLa

West Hollywood, California, US

Man, I hate it when this happens. Atlantic Records.... yes, ATLANTIC RECORDS, used a copywrited image without my permission. Big mess going on right now.

Don't make any demands yet, jsut make sure to have that image copywrited as fast as you can, and annoy the heck out of them.

Jul 06 06 01:12 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

ward wrote:

You won't be the last one they get away with doing it to then.

yeha...but like i siad before, i dont want to have to take legal action if i realy dont have to i dont have the kind of capital to do that sort of thing

Jul 06 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Aussie Guevara wrote:
used a copywrited image without my permission.

please make sure in any communication with them you spell it properly as "copyrighted" otherwise they may ignore your letter.

Jul 06 06 01:17 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

James Jackson wrote:

please make sure in any communication with them you spell it properly as "copyrighted" otherwise they may ignore your letter.

Someone , i would have assumed you guys would realize i dont talk to same way in a formal business letter than i do on a random internet forum LoL

Jul 06 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Kassandra wrote:

Someone , i would have assumed you guys would realize i dont talk to same way in a formal business letter than i do on a random internet forum LoL

I didn't mean you...I meant the other model who just misspelled copyright ... twice...

Jul 06 06 01:20 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

James Jackson wrote:

I didn't mean you...I meant the other model who just misspelled copyright ... twice...

LOL okay just checking

Jul 06 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kassandra wrote:

yeha...but like i siad before, i dont want to have to take legal action if i realy dont have to i dont have the kind of capital to do that sort of thing

While I appreciate that, a letter to them will do nothing, in my humble opinion. They will read it, laugh, and toss it into the waste bin. But what do I know...Arts & Culture groups occasionally have legal begals that work for them and offer legal advice sometimes on a pro bono alternative, because they love challenges like this especially when it applies to the world of arts, culture, and artists. Just some advice. And now I will say no more ! smile

Jul 06 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Kassandra wrote:

May not take any money to defend yourself...considering your age and the type of case:

http://www.vlany.org/

Jul 06 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

ohh thanks for the resources, ill have to look the site over it looks pretty interesting and it sgood to see i have more options then i realized

Jul 06 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

In regards to lawsuits I have 2 words:   deep pockets.

Unless you can find a do-gooder lawyer, or a friend who is an attorney you can bribe, most lawyers won't touch cases without the defendent having deep pockets.   It's kinda like being a photographer and getting hired by homeless people to shoot for their new publication: Cardboard homes.

Jul 06 06 01:35 pm Link

Model

AuLa

West Hollywood, California, US

James Jackson wrote:

Thank you, Spelling Police. Model Mayhem doesn't have a spellcheck.

Jul 06 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Aussie Guevara wrote:

Thank you, Spelling Police. Model Mayhem doesn't have a spellcheck.

Yeah I know...that's why I'm so glad that Mac OSX has spellcheck built in and you can literally turn it on everywhere you type.  I misspell things all the time, but I always spellcheck before posting anything publicly.

As far as the word copyright though, just keep in mind that it is a concentration of two words "copy" and "right"...so if you're going to add a suffix it changes the word "copyright" just the same as if you were to only be using the word "right" meaning the permission someone has to do something.

Jul 06 06 01:43 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

On a lighter note, they used a really great picture.

Jul 06 06 01:49 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

KitaPanda wrote:
On a lighter note, they used a really great picture.

LOL Glad you liked! its damned old!

Jul 06 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Actualy you may be able to find a lawyer that will do the case without a fee up front depending on the situation.
1. Where did these people get the photo from they used for the mag? If it is off the web then your probably out of luck, photos are pretty much open territory when they are downloaded from the web and very few to no lawyers propably will even look at it.
2. If it was a unpublished photo then you definetly have a case.

I saw that same ad your talking about and i did not think anything of it since i see alot of internet photos in mags and online.

I would go see a lawyer and see what your options are first off and if they think you have grounds, have them send the letter on thier letterhead (It will get noticed real fast where yours may end up in the garbage).

Good Luck with that, you have alot of potential as a model and this exposure in the mag might get you out there enough to be noticed worldwide.
Are you sure you want to sue them though?

If you work it out right you could end up with a contract and some kind of job doing this or that for them in the modeling world. I personaly would get ahold of them and talk to somebody there about it, try and work it out.

Jul 06 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

First:
You  ->   Q(>.

Jul 06 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

https://img482.imageshack.us/img482/9320/abomination6nz.jpg
Probly one of the olllddest images i have around still - its from 2001 and its not even like"this is me modeling!" lOl that was like"im taking this pic before school so i have record of the new makeup style" wow. I m like..14 in it @_@

Well ill give them a day or 2 to respond to my *many*...many...many methods of contacting them and if not then ill send a few more messages..and..then ill look to see for some free counsil in my area on the matter

Jul 06 06 02:04 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
First:
You  ->   Q(>.

Jul 06 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Peter Dattolo wrote:
If it is off the web then your probably out of luck, photos are pretty much open territory when they are downloaded from the web and very few to no lawyers propably will even look at it.

what the... what are you talking about???

Photos aren't public territory just because they're on the interent...they are STILL COPYRIGHTED WORKS!

Jul 06 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

KitaPanda wrote:

K.O.!

Yes.. and should be followed up with...

Them   ->    (O.O);      t(>.

Jul 06 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
First:
You  ->   Q(>.

Jul 06 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

KM von Seidl wrote:

and the attorney is going to make money how if the defendent has no money?

the attorney isn't always out to make money...they have personal causes and interests too:
http://www.vlany.org/

Jul 06 06 02:18 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

*grabs her pop corn and starts munching* PK Digital VERSSUSSSSSSS*street fighter vioce over* KM von Seidl!! READY!?FIGHT!

Jul 06 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

KM von Seidl wrote:

"If it's a printed magazing which is making money"

An attourney has the ability to take a "sure win" case if they feel that the resulting settlement would make up for his retainer.  Like... TFS... Time for Settlement.

smile

Jul 06 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

I'm sorry I thought I read on the thread that there have only been 3 issues in 4 years. That's suggest to me fly-by-night....  Or is this a well-financed publication, part of the conde nast group perhaps?

Everyone is saying sue them, big payout time, so I was obviously confused as to the relatives assets of the defendent, they have deep pockets?

Jul 06 06 02:30 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Well they person called me back! Very nice, then agian, if i was in his position id be all nice as well *scratchs at head* but it seemed geniune

Though they didnt credit me they are sending me a crud of issues when the new issue is put out

Jul 06 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Indelible Images

Dallas, Texas, US

I think you should also ask for a credit in the next issue, just so that you have it for your credentials.  It never hurts to have your name in print, and legally, you should have been credited when the photo was used.

I would guess that this is a startup with little or no funds that found an image that someone thought was perfect and assumed that since they had it in a file or archeive somewhere they would us.  Hopefully, you will get the copies they promised and photo credit somewhere down the line. 

Grats on being  a published model, published photographer, and a published MUA.  What a talent and only 18!

Jul 06 06 03:31 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Indelible Images wrote:
I think you should also ask for a credit in the next issue, just so that you have it for your credentials.  It never hurts to have your name in print, and legally, you should have been credited when the photo was used.

I would guess that this is a startup with little or no funds that found an image that someone thought was perfect and assumed that since they had it in a file or archeive somewhere they would us.  Hopefully, you will get the copies they promised and photo credit somewhere down the line. 

Grats on being  a published model, published photographer, and a published MUA.  What a talent and only 18!

Well i think there is the possiability that i may  be getting a model feature and i also sent them some examples of my art work( I draw as well) which they expressed an interest in.OS im hoping to turn this situation into a very positive one if i can

Jul 06 06 03:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

it sounds like an advitorial to me, they should really give you some kind of compensation... if not them... the company that is claiming you are wearing their corsets and using your images.

Jul 06 06 04:36 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

rachelrose wrote:
it sounds like an advitorial to me, they should really give you some kind of compensation... if not them... the company that is claiming you are wearing their corsets and using your images.

Well what i found very interesting - was earlier in the day i took the intiaitive to message the woman the editorial/advitorial was about and she didnt claim the use the images

"Well, I went to the Link you included and was surprised to find an article by me!

I submited the article at least 2 maybe 3 years ago (maybe more) back when I was advertizing. I know nothing about the image as I did not submit any with the article. I also would have prefered to be notified that the article was coming out.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention as like you I was surprised with what I found."

Jul 06 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Aussie Guevara wrote:
Man, I hate it when this happens. Atlantic Records.... yes, ATLANTIC RECORDS, used a copywrited image without my permission. Big mess going on right now.

Don't make any demands yet, jsut make sure to have that image copywrited as fast as you can, and annoy the heck out of them.

That image was copyrighted the instant she snapped the shutter.  All she can do at this point is register the image.  Registration is not necessary.

A little light reading: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html … 01_17.html

Under the 1976 Copyright Act, as amended, a work is protected by copyright from the time it is created in a fixed form.  When a work is first written down or otherwise set into tangible form, the copyright immediately becomes the property of the author who created it.

Jul 06 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Gold Rush Studio

Sacramento, California, US

Kassandra wrote:

Im the photographer AND the model for the image

Then you've been skanked and ripped off.

Welcome to the business! You're a certified pro now - you have pix that are worth stealing!

Jul 06 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

even though she is 18 now, she was 17 in the images... does that play any part in this matter?

Jul 06 06 05:05 pm Link