Forums > General Industry > I will soon do a shoot where the model cries

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

I want the model to reach down and cry, for real.

Jul 06 06 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

hit her.

Jul 06 06 03:06 am Link

Photographer

j-shooter

nope, i dont even joke about that kind of behaviour. if i were you, i'd edit.

Jul 06 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

I did one. I asked her to cry and she cried. I think we used eye drops too for extra wetness.

Jul 06 06 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Simmons Tobias Photo

have her watch bambi or another movie girls are always crying after

Jul 06 06 03:22 am Link

Model

Asha

hire an actress.  don't ask for someone who can "cry on cue" because that just means tear production...not necessarily the real deal.  ask natalie portman if she's down.

Jul 06 06 03:23 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

And?

Jul 06 06 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

INever wrote:
nope, i dont even joke about that kind of behaviour. if i were you, i'd edit.

no.

Jul 06 06 03:30 am Link

Model

ascorpio

I can cry on cue big_smile Its easier if I'm not wearing my contacts because they dry out my eyes easily. Too bad you are not closer. I apparently have very expressive eyes anyways. Good luck finding a model.

Cheers,

a. scorpio

Jul 06 06 03:38 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

the reason for this ? may make your post more understandable , as it stands its just plain odd.

Jul 06 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

pepper spray

Jul 06 06 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Mike Walker wrote:
And?

Ditto

Jul 06 06 04:01 am Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Hit her hard, I did that and work... but avoid baseball bats you may kill her and it's hard to hide the body. So just use your hands.

Just kiding... no to be honest would be good if she has some acting training. IF not try to make her remember some sad moment of her life, there is not much you can do is all in her hands and hability to bring up emotions.

IF nothing this work... put some keny G and wait.

Jul 06 06 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I don't get it, he's making a statement, not asking a question...

Jul 06 06 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Actually, crying can be done fairly easily... you need some natural tears-style eye drops (have the model put some in) and then have the model look at a bright light for about 30 seconds (ideally a flourescent).  That can get tears to flow...

If she needs to act and really cry, use method acting.. tell him/her the part he/she is playing and have him/her assume the role...

Jul 06 06 06:02 am Link

Model

Montaine

We used "Vicks" rub in a play. Don't know if similar rubs are available overseas, but it's an ointment rub for colds. You put a little bit underneath the models eyes and vapours will ensure tears. It also ensure a lil' wetness. However this burns a liiiiittle. (Enough reason to cry about??) Hehehe... Maybe you can make her peel onions!!

Otherwise I'll just say, give the model a private moment to think "sad moments" and when she's "crying" then she'll call you back and you can start shooting. Ensure for sad music, it will keep the mood.

Jul 06 06 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Adam Chilson

Hesperia, California, US

Music.

Jul 06 06 06:16 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sounds like the current controversy over Jill Greenberg's newest series where she made children cry and photographed them. You can read about it in the new Digital Photo Pro magazine.

Jul 06 06 06:22 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Thats going to make her make up all messy.

Jul 06 06 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

My ex GF did that in one of our photo shoots. It wasn't planned. She had a very rough day and it finally hit her as our shoot began. Because of the circumstances I rarely show the images. They are just too personal.

Jul 06 06 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Adam Chilson

Hesperia, California, US

You're still best off using regular eye drops meant for moisturizing. Visine, except not the kind that stings. Have her keep her head back until you're ready to snap the shot. Gravity will do the rest.

Makeup doesn't last very long. . . .

See "Muddy Tears" in my port.

Jul 06 06 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Torontopics

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

tell her that you won't pay her.

Jul 06 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Jon Tiffin

San Antonio, Texas, US

ompemail wrote:
tell her that you won't pay her.

This is the best advice I've seen so far!! Nothing more real (other than having the crap beat outtaya) than not getting paid!!

As Dad always said, "If you want something to cry about..."

Method, Vicks, sad music (Kenny G won't quite do it, ...for me), Try Sade's 'Mermaid' off of 'Love Deluxe' (last track). That along with a sad part of any life will turn on the waterworks. It'll be interesting the emotion the lens will capture.

Good Luck!! -j

Jul 06 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

INever wrote:
I want the model to reach down and cry, for real.

had one 2 years ago, she left crying, didn't take any pictures, just told her the truth about herself!!!!!!!

just kiddin

Jul 06 06 08:09 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

what's the point of the post? Do you want to know how to get her to cry? Are you looking for a model that can cry?

Hire an actress or just tell her not to blink.

Pulling nosehairs works too.

-D-

Jul 06 06 08:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

you can hire a make-up artist to use a menthol blower or a menthol stick, they work much better than vicks.

but i do agree that you are going to have to find a model that can pull off the whole crying thing.

i was reading an article in one of the photo mags, and this woman had a series of images of children crying, when asked how she did it, she said she just gave them a lollipop then took it away, snapped the shot and gave the lollipop back... depending on how young your model is.... this technique might work....

Jul 06 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

I know that a fan blowing air into the model's face will help the model greatly.
Now, it is up to the model to be able to exploit the tears running and provide the expression you want.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … d1dd86a6de

Jul 06 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Brian Ziff wrote:
hit her.

a girl asked me to photograph her with a black eye.  she wanted me to give her the black eye!  i chickened out.

Jul 06 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

So three months from now, we're going to see the white-letters-black-screen disclaimer that says that while this episode is based on actual events, it's still fiction. And then we'll see Tom Collins from Rent and the dude who replaced Jerry Orbach researching the brutal murder of a model, and they'll come across a post by a photographer who was supposed to work with that model-- on a modeling website, perhaps named Fodel Fayhem-- in which he leaves a mysterious message saying he plans to shoot a crying model.

BUM BUM! Dun-na-na-na NAAAAAA naa...

Jul 06 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

They make something called a "tear stick" it's what rachel referred to and the menthol blowers work even better.  Often times ones the fake tears start, real ones follow.  When I teach acting I talk about it as a concept similar to sense memory.  The simple act of tearing causes our body to involuntarily relax and allow itself to cry.  It's often very cathartic.....

Here's a couple images I did that way

https://www.eyelightphoto.com/images/pix/CN_tears.jpg

https://www.eyelightphoto.com/images/pix/MJ_tears.jpg

Jul 06 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Find a method actor.  There is big difference between producing tears and an emotional cry.

Jul 06 06 11:55 am Link