Forums > General Industry > retro pics

Photographer

Images by Douglas

Mahomet, Illinois, US

I'm looking to do a retro type shoot. 30's to 50's style. Does anyone know which sites may be best to see some ideas?

Jul 05 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

ZKWC

Malibu, California, US

Doug Olsen Photography wrote:
I'm looking to do a retro type shoot. 30's to 50's style. Does anyone know which sites may be best to see some ideas?

http://www.dita.net

Jul 05 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

p51

Olympia, Washington, US

The LAST place you wanna go for "retro" photo ideas is someone's modern interpretation of them!
Go find the original 1930s glamour photographers of the 30s. Plenty of bok of their works out there, I'm sure a google search would find some stuff...

Jul 05 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

ZKWC

Malibu, California, US

Jul 05 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

ZKWC

Malibu, California, US

p51 wrote:
The LAST place you wanna go for "retro" photo ideas is someone's modern interpretation of them!
Go find the original 1930s glamour photographers of the 30s. Plenty of bok of their works out there, I'm sure a google search would find some stuff...

I don't know what is so modern about some of Dita's stuff. She's fairly period specific taking poses, lighting, and costuming directly from old stag mags from the old Burlesque era. I really don't know anyone today who can compete with her enthusiasm and authenticity for the era.

Jul 05 06 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Doug Olsen Photography wrote:

1930's to 50's?   That 2 decades.   That's end of 20's, 30's, late 30's early 40's 40's war years homeland  40's war years pinups, after war 40s, early 50's, 50's pinups, late 50's...and that's not even CLOSE to all the variations.

You might want to narrow your focus down, just a bit.

Jul 05 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

1930's to 50's?   That 2 decades.   That's end of 20's, 30's, late 30's early 40's 40's war years homeland  40's war years pinups, after war 40s, early 50's, 50's pinups, late 50's...and that's not even CLOSE to all the variations.

You might want to narrow your focus down, just a bit.

Yep, this business is alot more complicated than people think wink

Jul 05 06 09:22 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

I'd suggest keeping with a 40's to 50's look.  It's what more people consider to be "pin-up" that some of the pre- and post- stuff.

Jul 06 06 12:56 am Link

Model

Shanna

Weatherford, Oklahoma, US

www.varla.com
www.switchbladestelletos.com  (probably not spelt right)
crap haha i'll get some more and come back
https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=179

Jul 06 06 12:59 am Link

Model

Bailee Martini

Jacksonville, Alabama, US

like its been said, try the library and google.

Jul 06 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

RETRO ROCKS!

Jul 06 06 04:55 pm Link

Model

Ms Tabatha Belle

Jacksonville, North Carolina, US

Jul 06 06 05:04 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

Ms Tab wrote:
http://thepinupfiles.com/

Yep thats where you need to go. Dita is not actually vera era specific most of the time; a lot of stuff in her shoots has a modern twist on it, plus the whole corset thing is more fetish. The only thing that will give you the idea of era correct are the paintings artists of that time produced. ( i.e Gil Elvgren,Earl Moran,Peter Driben,George Petty, Alberto Vargas).

Jul 06 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

DeathbyNew-Wave wrote:
Yep thats where you need to go. Dita is not actually vera era specific most of the time; a lot of stuff in her shoots has a modern twist on it, plus the whole corset thing is more fetish. The only thing that will give you the idea of era correct are the paintings artists of that time produced. ( i.e Gil Elvgren,Earl Moran,Peter Driben,George Petty, Alberto Vargas).

Yep, that`s the BEST advice.........check out the pinup artists FIRST.....then follow that up with the photographer`s of the period`s  Hurrell, Bernard Of Hollywood, Andre Dedienes (that spelled right?) Bunny Yeager also Marilyn`s fav shooter Milton Greene (he also shot EVERYONE else) Peter Gowland (he`s my idol and #1 inspiration)   there`s so many great masters of the art in the 1950`s pinup photography but they all owe their interest and their drive from Vargas,  Petty and the masters of the WW2 drawn pinup smile

Try to single out an era though......while ALL eras 30`s to 60`s have major hair/shoes and style changes....

I love the late 50`s to early 60`s the most.....along with late 40`s post-war styling

Jul 06 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Kilmer Photography

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, US

Absolutely! Also try looking at "Nose art" from the WW2 bombers...mostly Vargas and Elvgren..

SK

Jul 06 06 05:58 pm Link