Forums > General Industry > Big city->Little city: Downgrade or new beginning?

Photographer

Albie Bruno

DELAND, Florida, US

Well, I'm pondering a move to Indianapolis. I have some family out there and I really like the city. It is no New York by any means, but it does have some charm, especially the Broad Ripple area. I was wondering how viable it would be to shut down my operations here in NYC and start over in IN.... is it even worth it?

So the question I bring forth is this... Has anyone here ever left a large market city and moved to a small market city and still had some measure of success?

What are your opinions?

Jul 05 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Albie Bruno wrote:
Well, I'm pondering a move to Indianapolis. I have some family out there and I really like the city. It is no New York by any means, but it does have some charm, especially the Broad Ripple area. I was wondering how viable it would be to shut down my operations here in NYC and start over in IN.... is it even worth it?

So the question I bring forth is this... Has anyone here ever left a large market city and moved to a small market city and still had some measure of success?

What are your opinions?

In over 20 years I've worked the Boston area....New York....Philly....Atlantic City....and now I'm in Ocala, Florida.....there are trade offs in any place you re-locate......

When I was younger....I loved the action in big cities.....always going.....but tons of fierce competition.....here in Ocala.....called by some...Slowcala.....no stress....but then again no chances for those high end jobs....simply aren't any....not compared to the major markets.....but I'm 59....and not really interested running just to stay in place....everything is a trade off.....you just have to decide where you want your life to go if photography wasn't in the picture.....

Jul 05 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Albie Bruno

DELAND, Florida, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
In over 20 years I've worked the Boston area....New York....Philly....Atlantic City....and now I'm in Ocala, Florida.....there are trade offs in any place you re-locate......

When I was younger....I loved the action in big cities.....always going.....but tons of fierce competition.....here in Ocala.....called by some...Slowcala.....no stress....but then again no chances for those high end jobs....simply aren't any....not compared to the major markets.....but I'm 59....and not really interested running just to stay in place....everything is a trade off.....you just have to decide where you want your life to go if photography wasn't in the picture.....

Well, I'm primarily an Artistic photographer, so I'm not looking for the "High End" jobs, which I would figure involve shooting for Mags and press. I know I can supplement my artistic work with portraits and family sittings. I'll still have my roots in Brooklyn and I can always can come back from time to time for those gigs. I'm just wondering if I can continue to have success in a place where there is less competition for the same gigs. The costs of operations would be significantly less and I can probably own my own studio as opposed to leasing. I'll have to take into consideration that demand is probably not as high... but then again, maybe there is a need for more photographers in those markets...

Do the risks outweigh the rewards in a situation like mine?
Anyone been in this situation?
Anyone from Indy can tell me what the market is like?

Jul 06 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

A co-worker once asked me whether it is better to be a big frog in a little pond or a little frog in a big pond.  My answer:  The only thing important is to be a happy frog. 

....Thom

Jul 07 06 03:53 am Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

PDN covered this topic a few months ago, the mag interviewed a photographer from every state. They all live and worked out of the smaller towns some relocated from larger cities like NY also.  I think it is worth checking out if you can find it.

Jul 07 06 04:06 am Link