Forums > General Industry > Non-Released Events, no posting images w/o Release

Photographer

CaliModels

Los Angeles, California, US

Group photo events are fun and rewarding...However, just to remind Photographers and Models, (but mostly photographers);

*Events are Non-Released*

Photos or Images taken at Non-Released Events are for your Personal Use Only...Unless you get a release from the model. That means you Cannot Post Photos on the Internet/Web unless you have a release. That includes ModelMayhem.

Events are also Non-Commercial. That means you Cannot get commercial rights. If the model is that important to you, schedule your own private shoot and negotiate the proper release.

The only exempt clauses, (that don't apply) are public events and celebrity status. We are Neither.

ANY Photographers on this site or others that have Non-Released Photos should IMMEDIATELY REMOVE PHOTOS.

Jul 05 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Star

and exactly what legal basis to you have for this?

Star

Jul 05 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

CaliModels wrote:
Photos or Images taken at Non-Released Events are for your Personal Use Only...Unless you get a release from the model. That means you Cannot Post Photos on the Internet/Web unless you have a release. That includes ModelMayhem.

Unmitigated tripe.

Jul 05 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

Edit...thought this came from a mod.  Forget what I said.

Jul 05 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Carpe Imago Photography wrote:
I understand the logic here, but won't it be difficult or impossible for the MM mods to know which photos have signed releases on file?  I'm not going to have to post a release with each image am I?

Also, does this mean that any editorial shots are no longer fair game?  That would be sad, as I've seen some great editorial shots on here that were clearly not be posted "looking for a buyer".

I'm just curious, but I completely understand the idea here.

No, this "buisness person" has decided that photographers who pay large amounts of money to be a part of the group shoots they hold cannot use the photos for any purpose.

HOWEVER, as far as I know this assertion has no legal basis. Unless the photographer signs away his/her copyright the group shoot organizers have no say in how they use the photos.

ADDITONALLY they are telling photographers they are not allowed to secure a modeling release to be able to use the photos. This sounds like someone trying to scam photographers out of their rights and as such makes me very dissapointed with their ethics,

Star

Jul 05 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

CaliModels wrote:
Group photo events are fun and rewarding...However, just to remind Photographers and Models, (but mostly photographers);

Events are also Non-Commercial. That means you Cannot get commercial rights. If the model is that important to you, schedule your own private shoot and negotiate the proper release.

The only exempt clauses, (that don't apply) are public events and celebrity status. We are Neither.

ANY Photographers on this site or others that have Non-Released Photos should IMMEDIATELY REMOVE PHOTOS.

That's absolutely rediculous.

John

P.S. Anyone anticipating participation in one of these "photo cluster-fucks", might want to view the attitude displayed here by one of the promoters.

Jul 05 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

CaliModels wrote:

I assume you are specifically referring to group events you have been involved with, in which case you have every right to set guidelines.

Due to your wording, however, this could easily be mis-interperted as a blanket edict to all of us who participate in such events.

Perhaps a private e-mail to the group participants would have been more appropriate?

Jul 05 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Star

or a proof of the signing away of the photographer's copyright?

Jul 05 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

-Please read post and click avatar if necessary-
This is a group photo event that pays for Non-Commercial Use. (That tells you there's a commercial rate.) The rules state No Release and No Commercial Use.

The models at group events are mostly participating for Photos, Experience and/or Networking. If the models were to automatically give-up rights, that's simply unfair and it may change the rental rates.

If you do a private shoot with a model and Don't get a release, your rights are limited to this same topic. Just because it's a group event, the rules of the world don't change.

Jul 05 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

From his event website:

"The organizer of this event does Not issue a release. Photos / Images taken by Photographers are for Personal Use. No Commercial Use. Models and Photographers need to discuss releases between themselves."

That wording does not prohibit photographers from getting releases from models.  Despite his "advice" to models, they are free to give releases if they choose.

And good luck with keeping people from making editorial use of pictures taken at the events.

Jul 05 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

CaliModels wrote:
This is a group photo event that pays for Non-Commercial Use. (That tells you there's a commercial rate.) The rules state No Release and No Commercial Use.

The models at group events are mostly participating for Photos, Experience and/or Networking. If the models were to automatically give-up rights, that's simply unfair and it may change the rental rates.

If you do a private shoot with a model and Don't get a release, your rights are limited to this same topic. Just because it's a group event, the rules of the world don't change.

Again, you're just plain wrong, and embarrassing yourself.

Jul 05 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

CaliModels wrote:

I'll qualify my statement to include the fact that I'd never participate in one of these group events, so I have no idea what your custom contract specifically states or to what length it redefines standard terms.

However, within the industry, "commercial use" would not include use within an MM (or similar) portfolio.

John

Jul 05 06 01:29 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

CaliModels wrote:

Um...actually, as far as I'm aware, unless legal paperwork to the contrary is signed, a photographer has all rights to their photos and can do what they please with them whether a model release is signed or not. Think about it: How else would the paparazzi make a living?

So, if I'm understanding correctly, your business is setting up group photoshoots where, according to you, no one has the right to use any of the photos anywhere. What is the point to this?

Jul 05 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I think Sluggo has a harem!

Jul 05 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

John Allan wrote:

That's absolutely rediculous.

John

P.S. Anyone anticipating participation in one of these "photo cluster-fucks", might want to view the attitude displayed here by one of the promoters.

This is the reason why this post is necessary. There are a few that think $25 bucks allows them to do whatever they want...And ruin the events for everyone else.

Jul 05 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

WOLF WILSON

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I agree with Christopher....  "you're just plain wrong, and embarrassing yourself"

Jul 05 06 01:32 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

CaliModels wrote:

This is the reason why this post is necessary. There are a few that think $25 bucks allows them to do whatever they want...And ruin the events for everyone else.

Please explain to us exactly how posting a photo on MM "ruin[s] the events for everyone else"?

Jul 05 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

CaliModels wrote:

Show me the contract that photographers sign to give away these rights that are theirs, and we'll talk. Until then, you've got gravy on your shirt.

Jul 05 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

CaliModels wrote:

Wrong.  As an event open to the general public, you are a "public event".

CaliModels wrote:

There's this little, bitty problem with that:  you have no standing to demand it.  You do not have the rights to the model's image.  Only the model does.  She may attempt to demand it, and perhaps even make the demand stick, depending on use.  But you can't.

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

CaliModels wrote:

I have participated in many events that cost $25.00 less than yours. And I have signed releases and guilt-free portfolio images for my efforts.

The "cash prizes for models" concept sounds sleazy to me. Bringing money into the picture ruins the fun.

You come across as a "reverse-Sluggo" that looks out for the models but wants to control photographers!

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

CaliModels wrote:

I think you've just "outed" yourself and I'll bet potential customers reading this that had actually considered participation, are seriously rethinking that inclination.

John

Jul 05 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

CaliModels wrote:

Geez, I was trying to think of a polite yet witty answer in a few words,

First Amendment came to mind...

...then I thought about editorial use...

But I think I'll just settle for     F U C K  O F F

Studio36

Jul 05 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

CaliModels wrote:

What if models from the event want to post them? Is that OK?

Jul 05 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

CaliModels wrote:

Seig-Heil!

Now go back to memorizing Mien Kampf!

Jul 05 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

rp_photo wrote:

You know better than to ask that rp. And you KNOW the answer as well. So don't play the fool for him.

Studio36

Jul 05 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rp_photo wrote:

No, of course not.  By his reasoning, that would be "commercial use", which is prohibited.  Besides which, he doesn't want people exchanging releases, which means the model would not have a copyright license from the photographer.  She can't use the pictures for anything at all.  According to him.

I'm sure that helps with model recruiting a whole bunch.

Jul 05 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

studio36uk wrote:
You know better than to ask that rp. And you KNOW the answer as well. So don't play the fool for him.

Studio36

You right, me bad!

Jul 05 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

The OP should have titled this:
How to destroy a modeling event business in one thread

If he has half a brain, he's trying to figure out how to destroy the thread - while what should happen is that it becomes a sticky for all actually considering participation in one of these things.

John

Jul 05 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

The problem with these things is that the language is unclear and not everyone understands what is trying to be said.

What Calimodels wants to do is to create an event where photographers come and shoot models for a low fee.  In exchange for the minimal entry fee, he wants the photographers to limit the use of the photos to their portfolios unless they make some other agreement directly with the model.   He is trying to convey to the photographers that he, (the promoter), is not providing a release with the admission price.

The problem is that is not what he is saying, either in his posts or on his websites.  He terms this to be a "non-release" event.  I am not a lawyer, but I think a reasonable interpretation of that statement would be that you are not getting a release, which means you are limited to the uses that you would have in any other situation where a release was not required.

TX makes a good example.  A release is not generally required for editorial use or newsworthy events.  That is how paparazzi generally get away with it.  A release is often not required for artwork or for a gallery exhibition.  If you were an amateur photographer and wanted to display your work on a webpage to show your art, that may well not need a release.  On the other hand, many kinds of commercial uses would require a release.

The point though is that declaring an event to be a "non-release" even simply limits the photographer to those uses that don't require a release.  I have seen events which were instructional where there were greater restrictions.  At those events, the photographers were required to sign an agreement not to use the photos except for the specific purposes agreed to.    That agreement would be binding since admission would be conditioned on such an agreement.

Again though, I am not a lawyer.  None the less, I can clearly see where the OP's intentions and what he is actually accomplishing are not the same thing.

Jul 05 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

This is exactly the type of responses I was expecting. I was wondering whether to let models leave because they were mad with photographers for posting Non-Released photos or recommend to them to file lawsuits against photographers.

If any of you read the post, it states events are No release and No commercial use. It doesn't say you can't ask the model(s) for releases. That's also on the website. We pay for rental...If that wasn't clear. If you pay for rental, that means it's not free. Again, if any of you read the post, we pay for Non-Commercial Use, as Opposed to Commercial Use.

Jul 05 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

CaliModels wrote:

So, the OP is talking about one specific event or a specific series of events that he is connected to, and which has "rules," again specific to the aforementioned?

Not all such experiences fit this category. I have a weekend set up for July 14-16 with photographers and models signed up to participate. My promotion on my website very clearly states this is a TFP/TFCD event with details, including recommended releases, to be worked out between individual models and photographers. Because we are using property I own, I have also prepared a property release for each participating photographer.

So, please, let's not generalize... if you're talking specifics, be specific instead stirring yet another endless argument over legalities.

Jul 05 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

John Allan wrote:
...what should happen is that it becomes a sticky for all actually considering participation in one of these things.

John

Yup... ALL TOGETHER NOW... sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, Quick somebody call a Mod  sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky, sticky,...

Studio36

Jul 05 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Another reason never to participate in gang bang photo shoots..... Not that the OP has a legitimate legal leg to stand on, such harranging over people using images from a workshop that they paid for is enough to make me gag.

Jul 05 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

CaliModels wrote:
This is exactly the type of responses I was expecting. I was wondering whether to let models leave because they were mad with photographers for posting Non-Released photos or recommend to them to file lawsuits against photographers.

If anyone has any recourse against the photographers, it is the models, not you.  If they choose to file lawsuits they will win or not.  In either event, it's up to them.

By the way, if one of them does choose to file, and the case gets to trial, it will provide that test case of exactly this issue that so many people have pointed out does not exist.

Jul 05 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

CaliModels wrote:

If any of you read the post, it states events are No release and No commercial use. It doesn't say you can't ask the model(s) for releases. That's also on the website. We pay for rental...If that wasn't clear. If you pay for rental, that means it's not free. Again, if any of you read the post, we pay for Non-Commercial Use, as Opposed to Commercial Use.

Your biggest problem (legal hurdle) here is that you are defining inclusion within an MM portfolio as "commercial use" - It is simply not. Now you may have a specific contractual clause that prohibits photographers from using the images for self-promotion (don't know why anyone would sign that knowingly, but I've seen worse), but that's different.

John

Jul 05 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
The point though is that declaring an event to be a "non-release" even simply limits the photographer to those uses that don't require a release.

It is the responsibility of the photographers to get releases from the models, and the responsibility of the event organizer to remind photographers and encourage doing such. There should be a period set aside during the event to facilitate release review and signing, such as a coffee break.

If the organizer has a hidden agenda that discourages this, then be afraid, be very afraid!

Jul 05 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Star

CaliModels wrote:

ACTUALLY a photographer would have to specifically sign away their copyright to the image, you have no say in how they use it since you are NOT the copyright holder

Jul 05 06 01:57 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

CaliModels wrote:

Those models who are mad have the emotional right to be upset - though it shows that they really should have done more research before they decided to get into modeling - but no legal right to file suit against photographers who photographed them with their consent at a public event. I mean, they can, but they wouldn't win. And you still haven't explained how a photographer posting an image from one of your sca--oops, I mean, "events" would ruin it for everyone. Unless by "everyone" you meant "you."

Jul 05 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

CaliModels wrote:
we pay for Non-Commercial Use, as Opposed to Commercial Use.

I think you better go away while you are ahead and come back once your lawyer tells you what the term "commercial use" really means... it's not what you think it means.

You are a classic case of someone who wants to be IN the business but doesn't know, or want to know, anything about the business of the business.

Studio36

Jul 05 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

CaliModels wrote:
we pay for Non-Commercial Use, as Opposed to Commercial Use.

An oxymoron: Since participants are paying, is it not commercial?

Jul 05 06 02:02 pm Link