Forums > General Industry > Models and Being on Time !!!

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Ok I've never had any no-shows so thats not my problem but I'd say out of all the models I have worked with 3/4 were late.
I'm not talking 10-15mins late. Im talking 40mins- 2 hours late.

I had 4 shoots this past weekend and all were at the minimum an hour late. I hate that because it puts me back for whatever I had going on after a shoot.blahhhhhhh
I usually end up shooting in a hurry if I had plans to be going on after a shoot date.

These aren't TFP shoots, these are clients paying me. Which I guess is why I put up with it...
If it were TFP I probably would just say go back home !!

Does this irk or upset anyone else?
Do you find yourself being more lienant if your getting paid?

Jul 04 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

I do a ton of business headshot photos for pay and a lesser amount of portraiture for pay and these almost always seem to show between 5 minutes late to half hour late... but as you mentioned..since they are paying.... but it doesn't really bug me as I use any extra time to double check things fire a couple of test shots..  check email..

Models I have worked with whether paid or TFCD - TFP always seem to show up on time for me..

I also shoot very high end homes for magazines and the homes seem to always be there on time...

Just my experiences..

Jul 04 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Paying client or not, if they are an hour late with no phone contact to let me know what is happening, there is no shoot.

Jul 04 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Doug Lester wrote:
Paying client or not, if they are an hour late with no phone contact to let me know what is happening, there is no shoot.

oh..
Theres phone contact, they will call and say they are running late or some other lame excuse why they arent on time. Most use the "Im lost" excuse
or "I had to go pick up a last minute item for the shoot"  lol

Jul 05 06 01:32 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Hrm actually I think I've been late to my shoots more than the models . . .

Jul 05 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

I win.

So far my latest turn up was 30hrs late. Thats not a typo,  thirty hours!

smile

Jul 05 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Fluffytek wrote:
I win.

So far my latest turn up was 30hrs late. Thats not a typo,  thirty hours!

smile

WOW 30 hours??? what the heck was thier excuse lol.... got locked up??? lol

Jul 05 06 02:48 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Doug Lester wrote:

I can't imagine any of my clients...or any client still willing to pay for someone wasting their time.....shoot would have been cancelled.....

Jul 05 06 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Wilsons Pro Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

My last pre wedding shoot was 2 hrs late, the wedding itself was 30 min late and the family formals were no shows and no calls and then when they rescheduled, they were 4 hrs late. I doubled their fee and called it a day smile

Jul 05 06 08:26 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

If I have had no contact from the model, at 30 minutes after the set time, I start striking the set. When I'm done doing that, I leave. I will not come back after I leave.

However, since I now have my own studio and don't *have* to strike the set before I leave (I used to shoot in my company's conference room evenings and weekends) I suspect the window just got smaller.

If she calls me before that 30 minutes is up, I will wait up to one hour. If she is not on set one hour after schedule, the shoot does not happen. She must post a $50 non-appearance deposit before I will schedule another shoot with her.

I find that while this doesn't diminish no-shows (I have about the same rate, low but not zero, as I did before I started doing it) I do find that the magic words "fifty dollar deposit" make them go away and not come back. The two models who have actually offered to do so were on time and polite as could be at their rebookings. The others all go away and never contact me again.

M

Jul 05 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

Melissa Bush

Grand Haven, Michigan, US

That's bad to be late.  I'm never late to shoots. Wow, 30 hours late for that one person? That's bad! I wouldn't late that long!

Jul 05 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

dncphotos wrote:
Theres phone contact, they will call and say they are running late or some other lame excuse why they arent on time. Most use the "Im lost" excuse

This may sound carzy but perhaps there telling the truth

Jul 05 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Melissa Bush wrote:
That's bad to be late.  I'm never late to shoots. Wow, 30 hours late for that one person? That's bad! I wouldn't late that long!

They had a good excuse, a very bad day, and I had the studio free the next day anyway. Fortunatly it was for a private project, so other than being inconvenient, it was not too much bother.

Jul 05 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

dncphotos wrote:
[Theres phone contact, they will call and say they are running late or some other lame excuse why they arent on time. Most use the "Im lost" excuse

Such lateness is a mild form of flaking, and many of the same excuses get used. It has been my experience that some models will show up every time, but only after re-schedules and lateness excuses on the day you end up shooting. These models want to shoot, but for whatever reasons over-extend themselves or are very disorganized.

My favorite lateness excuse so far:

"I stopped for gas, paid first, and later realized I drove off without pumping it".

This was followed by a "I'm lost excuse".

Total lateness: About 1 hour.

One hour latenesses are a big problem for outdoor shooters who depend on getting just the right amount of light. Early arrivals can cause problems as well.

Jul 05 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

ANNABELLA wrote:

This may sound carzy but perhaps there telling the truth

I didn't say they weren't truthful excuses.
but being lost will not take you an hour to find a place or longer. If someone is ususlly lost I will drive to meet them. Where I shoot is right off a major highway where most people in Dallas area know, so I really don't buy the "I've been lost for an hour or longer" speech. Maybe if I was in the country or somewhere not easily findable. Also, buying a last minute item wouldnt take you that long either. Especially when the forgot item is usually something like socks or makeup.

Jul 05 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

StMarc wrote:
If I have had no contact from the model, at 30 minutes after the set time, I start striking the set. When I'm done doing that, I leave. I will not come back after I leave.

However, since I now have my own studio and don't *have* to strike the set before I leave (I used to shoot in my company's conference room evenings and weekends) I suspect the window just got smaller.

If she calls me before that 30 minutes is up, I will wait up to one hour. If she is not on set one hour after schedule, the shoot does not happen. She must post a $50 non-appearance deposit before I will schedule another shoot with her.

I find that while this doesn't diminish no-shows (I have about the same rate, low but not zero, as I did before I started doing it) I do find that the magic words "fifty dollar deposit" make them go away and not come back. The two models who have actually offered to do so were on time and polite as could be at their rebookings. The others all go away and never contact me again.

M

Yes, I never hold a shoot date without a non-refundable deposit(if they cancel in enough time, it can be refunded). Which is paid before shoot date and 50% of the shoot cost. So thats why I find myself giving them more time to make it.
I know they will come, because they have either paid all or half of the shoot cost in advance. I just hate freaking waiting so long to start.

Jul 05 06 11:22 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Part of the reason why I go out of my way to cultivate a rep as being very punctual...

Jul 07 06 06:07 pm Link