Forums > General Industry > Can Modeling hurt your career

Model

Sarah M

San Francisco, California, US

I am modeling but have friends that are not models. 
I think they are jealous and want to ruin my career in whatever I do..what should I do??

Jul 04 06 06:58 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Sarah M wrote:
I think they are jealous and want to ruin my career in whatever I do..what should I do??

I wonder what makes you think jealousy is the problem and not something else?

Jul 04 06 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

BarryW

New York, New York, US

Going back to your first sentence, they are obviously not your friends. Friends wouldn't do things to ruin your career or anything else. Suggestion: rethink who your real friends are. Jealousy is rampant in any business, and all you can do, in my opinion, is not respond to it, but certainly note it.

Jul 04 06 07:01 pm Link

Model

angela camp

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes, they are all jealous of you and your extraordinary beauty.  I suggest you make new friends who are even hotter than you, if you can find any, that way they won't be jealous.

Jul 04 06 07:06 pm Link

Model

Sarah M

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

I wonder what makes you think jealousy is the problem and not something else?

what do you mean?

Jul 04 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Sarah M wrote:

If this is the case.....they're not your friends.....dump them....real friend don't hinder, they help

Jul 04 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Sarah M wrote:

How could "friends" not in the business hurt your career?

Jul 04 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

It's probably not jealousy...

Could be they love you and just want to see you put your time and money into a 'normal' career.

Jul 04 06 07:23 pm Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

Sarah, when I saw the title, I thought this was a discussion about whether the act of modelling can cause problems with other professional activities. In my case, I combine modelling with an academic career as a lecturer of Japanese culture.

I work with very conservative academic colleagues in the UK and Japan. To some of them, the idea that I model, including tasteful nudity, is a source of confusion and sometimes criticism. I am satisfied that I am doing the right thing by using my modelling as an extension of my academic aims, which are to present authentic Japanese culture to non-Japanese people in a way that is accessible and enjoyable. I am also involved in a project called Academic Exposure, run by the lovely Mary Henley-Foster, which encourages women academics to pose for art nude portraiture as a way of confronting taboos and creating attention for the plight of our sister academics in many part of the world who are denied the freedom of personal and professional expression that we enjoy.

Modelling can sometimes be difficult to combine with other professional activities, as many people are conditioned to label women by their behaviour and appearance. It is beyond the imagination of some people that a woman can successfully work with her body and her mind, move in different professional worlds, and remain true to herself. I think that it is a challenging, but rewarding experience.

https://www.solloway.demon.co.uk/web_images/akemi_avatar_1.jpg

Jul 04 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Squire Photography

London, England, United Kingdom

talk it through with them

maybe they are scared of losing you?  maybe they think you will be carted off all round the world and they wont see you again so they are trying to put you off.

one of my friends is really scared that im gonna be off round the world shooting all the time and she will never get to see me any more.

maybe they arent friends. 
maybe you should try to get them into modelling!

hope it all goes well

Jul 04 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Several people have asked you why you think they are your friends if they would hurt you?

I wouldn't worry about it.  Perhaps it is helping you because you get to know the true colors of these people.

Jul 04 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Earth Wind and Water

Seattle, Washington, US

Sarah M wrote:

and they are your "friends"?  get new real friends that will back you no matter what.

Jul 04 06 08:00 pm Link

Model

Sarah M

akemi wrote:
Sarah, when I saw the title, I thought this was a discussion about whether the act of modelling can cause problems with other professional activities. In my case, I combine modelling with an academic career as a lecturer of Japanese culture.

I work with very conservative academic colleagues in the UK and Japan. To some of them, the idea that I model, including tasteful nudity, is a source of confusion and sometimes criticism. I am satisfied that I am doing the right thing by using my modelling as an extension of my academic aims, which are to present authentic Japanese culture to non-Japanese people in a way that is accessible and enjoyable. I am also involved in a project called Academic Exposure, run by the lovely Mary Henley-Foster, which encourages women academics to pose for art nude portraiture as a way of confronting taboos and creating attention for the plight of our sister academics in many part of the world who are denied the freedom of personal and professional expression that we enjoy.

Modelling can sometimes be difficult to combine with other professional activities, as many people are conditioned to label women by their behaviour and appearance. It is beyond the imagination of some people that a woman can successfully work with her body and her mind, move in different professional worlds, and remain true to herself. I think that it is a challenging, but rewarding experience.

https://www.solloway.demon.co.uk/web_images/akemi_avatar_1.jpg

Thank you ...I couldn't agree more

Jul 04 06 08:07 pm Link

Model

Duchess of Mars

Beverly Hills, California, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Several people have asked you why you think they are your friends if they would hurt you?

I wouldn't worry about it.  Perhaps it is helping you because you get to know the true colors of these people.

I found out the true colors of some people, for sure!  Some have pretty colors...and others have very ugly colors indeed :-\

Jul 04 06 08:17 pm Link

Model

Sweet Emotion 68

Oldsmar, Florida, US

Sarah M wrote:

Plain & Simple....................ignore them..................and if they dont support you they aren't real friends after all................

Jul 04 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Sounds like they are not your friends... I thought friends support friends..

Mike

Jul 04 06 08:25 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Sarah M wrote:

I'm confused.... your title is a bit misleading.
"Can Modeling hurt your career" , then the post is about jealous friends.

What are you asking exactly?

Jul 04 06 08:27 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I work in a male dominated field and have been told in the past that my modelling portfolio has almost kept me from getting job offers.  Reasons have been they'd thought I would be too much a distraction to my coworkers or that they did not think I was serious about my actual chosen profession.

I don't plan on continuing this hobby past 5 years or so from now.

Jul 07 06 06:08 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

angela camp wrote:
Yes, they are all jealous of you and your extraordinary beauty.  I suggest you make new friends who are even hotter than you, if you can find any, that way they won't be jealous.

Ha!

Jul 07 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Natalie Photography

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi,

I dont think so. It hasnt haunted me yet. I have done some adult magizines that tend to have people 18 to about 21 pose. So far no one has reconized me. No one has ever came up to me and asked if I was in something. I still graduated from university with high marks, accepted into medical school. I have scholarships to go to school.

Jul 07 06 08:00 pm Link

Model

Sarah M

Josie Nutter wrote:
I work in a male dominated field and have been told in the past that my modelling portfolio has almost kept me from getting job offers.  Reasons have been they'd thought I would be too much a distraction to my coworkers or that they did not think I was serious about my actual chosen profession.

I don't plan on continuing this hobby past 5 years or so from now.

true...

Jul 08 06 12:10 am Link

Model

E the model

London, Ontario, Canada

As a classics student hoping to continue working in the academic milieu later on, I was afraid of the reaction my professors would have if they found out about me modeling. Some merely asked me questions to see if I was serious about my studies and what my plans were for my future. I reassured them and that was it. Many asked me if I was paying my studies through my work as a model and asked me if it paid well (!). All understood what I was doing and were respectful. I don't think it hindered me in any way. They did give me a very calculating look at first, though.

Jul 08 06 12:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

if they are not in the industry how are they going to "hurt" your career?

sometimes it just takes people a while to warm up to their friends/family working in the entertainment industry. my family was not initially supportive of my make-up career, but they are very supportive now. things change and people change.

are you positive that the problem is modeling?

Jul 08 06 01:03 am Link