Forums > General Industry > How to not offend

Model

Brody Ramone

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I've been shooting with a photographer for the past few months, but I don't like what his make up artist does with me. Maybe I'm just being critical because I am also a make up artist, but I don't think she understands how to work with a different face shape or even blending.
How do I ask my photographer to do my own make up without looking mean and whiney?

Jul 04 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Just tell him that you would like a chance to do your own make-up so that you have some variety. Or, you can just tell him that you don't think the style of his MUA works well for you. Be polite about it and if he is a pro he should be ok with doing whatever it takes to create the best images.

Jul 04 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Based upon what you say in your profile I assume these are paid shoots you're doing, not TFPs.  In that case you say nothing, since for a paid shoot it doesn't matter whether you like the MUA's work or not, it only matters that the one who is paying likes it.

Jul 04 06 04:02 pm Link

Model

ak68

Bossier City, Louisiana, US

Tell him you've been working on some make-up ideas yourself and would he mind (pretty please) if you could shoot some stuff with your own make-up. Be enthusiastic and if he is human he'll say yes. If he says no I'm sure there are a number of photographers who would jump at the chance of working with a model who knew how to do her own make-up.

Terry

Jul 04 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

JanMarie

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

If I were your photographer, I would definately want you to be honest with me.  If you felt you could do a better job w/your makeup I'd say, go for it.  The next time you set up a session w/this photogrpaher tell him you'd like to try doing your own makeup that you have some ideas you'd like to try out.  He shouldn't get offended by that.

Good Luck
JanMarie

Jul 04 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Myke Newman

Memphis, Tennessee, US

I think it is easier for the model to do their own make up or have a personal makeup artist.

Jul 04 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

If these are paid shoots and the makeup job doesn't rise to the level of reflecting poorly on you and negatively effecting your marketability - you say nothing.

If these are just silly ftp sessions. I'd do your makeup at home and have a friend take some full-on faceshots with a digital camera and show them to the photographer, asking him if he'd consider letting you approach your own makeup. Please realize, most models feel they can adequately do their own makeup - whether it's true or not - and we know that.

John

Jul 04 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Brody Ramone wrote:
I've been shooting with a photographer for the past few months, but I don't like what his make up artist does with me. Maybe I'm just being critical because I am also a make up artist, but I don't think she understands how to work with a different face shape or even blending.
How do I ask my photographer to do my own make up without looking mean and whiney?

Whether it's paid or not, I think it's reasonable for a model to express her opinion about the work product. It's certainly a reasonable request -- whether or not the photographer will agree with you is another matter.

If the photographer agrees -- great -- if he refuses, you'll have to decide whether you wish to continue working with him under the circumstances.

This is absolutely no different from any other job -- just because you're being paid doesn't give your employer the right to make you do stuff you don't want to do. If you don't like the work -- you can make suggestions, or even stop working there -- just like if the photographer doesn't like your work, he can get a different employee. No big deal. Communications are a wonderful thing!

Regards,
Paul

Jul 04 06 04:08 pm Link

Model

Brody Ramone

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Thank you all for your suggestions, it's really helped a lot and I feel better about this now!
smile

Jul 04 06 04:40 pm Link