Forums > General Industry > Question of a "Test Shoot"

Model

Sindia

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I was selected to appear in calender. The company/photographer then stated he wanted to set up a test shoot with me before the calender shoot (which is a paid shoot). I've done calenders and other types of shoots in the past and no one has ever asked for a test shoot. Can anyone explain why this person would request that? When exactly would a test shoot would be called for?

Thanks
Sindia

I think I should add.

Not to sound vain, but the work I've seen of the photog and the models used previously weren't very impressive. Had it been so, I would be less suspicious.

When I sent him a few photos, he came of as extremely excited and said that I was just what they we're looking for then later mentioned the test shoot.

The combination of things means I wont be doing a test shoot (in this particular instance).

Jul 04 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

i do a test shoot with any models i have never worked with before. basically it gives me a chance to document their body, see how they are in front of the caemra and ssee how we get along.

it is not uncommon at all. just make sure you do not sign a release for any photos if you are not willing to do TFP.

it is also called a 'go see'

Jul 04 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's common for go-sees to include a few "Polaroid" style or digital pictures as a documentation of what the model looks like.  Typically no more than two or three shots are taken.

On VERY rare occasion before a major job a client will ask for a full up "test" of the model by the photographer - but that doesn't sound like what is happening here.  It sounds more like the photographer wants a TFP without admitting to it if the "test shoot" is more than about two minutes long.

However, your profile says you have a manager.  It's the manager's job to answer questions like this.

Jul 04 06 02:25 pm Link

Model

Sindia

Cleveland, Ohio, US

TXPhotog wrote:
It's common for go-sees to include a few "Polaroid" style or digital pictures as a documentation of what the model looks like.  Typically no more than two or three shots are taken.

On VERY rare occasion before a major job a client will ask for a full up "test" of the model by the photographer - but that doesn't sound like what is happening here.  It sounds more like the photographer wants a TFP without admitting to it if the "test shoot" is more than about two minutes long.

However, your profile says you have a manager.  It's the manager's job to answer questions like this.

My manager agrees that it sounds like a tfp, especially based on the quality of the work and models he's (th photog presented so far).

Jul 04 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Sindia wrote:
I was selected to appear in calender. The company/photographer then stated he wanted to set up a test shoot with me before the calender shoot (which is a paid shoot). I've done calenders and other types of shoots in the past and no one has ever asked for a test shoot. Can anyone explain why this person would request that? When exactly would a test shoot would be called for?

Thanks
Sindia

There are really only two possibilities -- one -- the photographer is just trying to sweeten the pot and get models to shoot with him on a TFP basis by dangling bait (a paid calendar shoot) that he has no ability or intention to deliver -- a deceptive practice, at best.

The second possibility is that he is actually doing a legitimate calendar shoot, and is being very cautious about the models he selects. He wants to actually shoot with the model first before agreeing to pay her.

It could be either situation. As others pointed out, since this is just a test shoot, if I were the model, I would sign absolutely nothing in terms of a model release, and make it crystal clear that the photos from the "test" are not to appear anywhere without your express written consent.

Regards,
Paul

Jul 04 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

I've done lots of test shoots for clients.  The main purpose of a test shoot is to see whether a model shows up on time, prepared, resembling her photos, and whether she follows direction well. 

Of those important points, I would say that the "on time" is the most important.  Show up five minutes late when everyone else managed to get there on time and you can kiss the job goodbye.

Jul 04 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Earth Wind and Water

Seattle, Washington, US

I NEVER NEVER NEVER shoot a model without a test shoot.

It proves:
that she / he is a real human
that she / he can show up and on time
look at how the model moves
see if we can work together as a team
check the angles and lighting that may work for the model

my test shoots last 10 minutes and talking to the model another 10.  Also I like to view the models portfolio and give them a chance to view mine.

Money is money and you have to midigate any problems.

Jul 04 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

pretty much what everyone said is right...there's no way to be wrong on this one.

Test shoot is a catch-all term for several different things:

- a shoot to see if the model is [insert term here: real/on time/good looking/etc.]

- a shoot to try out a new idea

- a shoot to expand portfolios and just work together on an idea that someone had

- a shoot to demonstrate a concept to a client

- and about a million other things...

So, if he's not just offering the paid work to get the test and lying about the paid work (which is doubtful because why not just ask for a test shoot without anything else involved?) then why the concern?  Even in the case when there might be paid work attached to a test, you must realize that the paid work may not pan out after the test...this has happened, does happen often, and is no reflection on the validity of the test.

On a side note I'm continuing my part in the effort to remove the term "TFP" from the photography lexicon of anyone who is serious about photography from either side of the camera.  TFP is not a term that is needed, nor is it a term that has come about from business practice in the 'real world' of photography.  Made up internet terms have no business in real world work discussions.  The concept of TFP is also similar to one of the ways the term "test shoot" is used, but is deceptively loaded with connotations that are not in the expectation of industry photographers or models after a test shoot.

Jul 04 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

Piling on. Dude sounds like he wants something for nothing. The end.

Jul 04 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

megafunk wrote:
Piling on. Dude sounds like he wants something for nothing. The end.

Why?

Why are people so quick to doubt other people's motives...it's just plain fucking crude.

Is it something that you would do? Lie to a model about the possibility of paid work related to a test shoot just to get the test shoot?  What for?  That is the most ridiculously quick way to ruin your own reputation that there is.  Why would anyone else do it?

Jul 04 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

It seems to me, the first thing I would verify is if there is really a calendar.  If you are satisfied that there really is a project, then you have to decide if you want to test.

It sounds a little bit suspicious to me, but if there really is a calendar and the client has really picked you, then you simply have to decide if you are willing to do a test (it does dilute your pay since you are working more hours for the same money).

For the record, I don't test, although I do sometimes book a model for a one to two hour shoot before I book her for a day.  In most cases though, I can see whatever I need at a go-see where I can snap a few quick polaroids.

Jul 04 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Oh, oh.  I think when I do polaroids or digi-pics at a go-see I am breaking a rule.  I rarely shoot 2-3 images, I usually shoot four.  The last time I looked, that was how many sides a model has.  I think I better start leaving one out!

Sorry TX, I couldn't resist, the point of your answer was right.  But I do normally shoot four so I can get all four sides.

Jul 04 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
But I do normally shoot four so I can get all four sides.

There you go again, taking unfair advantage of the model smile

Jul 04 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Maybe his models were offering some kind of deal... like, photograph 3 sides, get the 4th free?

Jul 04 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Brandon Ching wrote:

Maybe his models were offering some kind of deal... like, photograph 3 sides, get the 4th free?

SOGO?  Shoot one get one?

Jul 04 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Brandon Ching wrote:

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
SOGO?  Shoot one get one?

Now you have figured me out!

Jul 05 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

TXPhotog wrote:

Brandon Ching wrote:

No no...I think I've got it...

You just like being able to charge your client that extra $1.10 per model brought to the casting!!!

Jul 05 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

If you're interested in the Calendar project - do the prelim - just don't sign anything.

John

Jul 05 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

TXPhotog wrote:

James Jackson wrote:
No no...I think I've got it...

You just like being able to charge your client that extra $1.10 per model brought to the casting!!!

That was before inflation, I now charge $1.85

Jul 05 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

That was before inflation, I now charge $1.85

Oh my, is that their going rate these days? Half a gallon of gas?

Jul 05 06 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

If you've been selected for the calendar, why not get that contract signed first? Or is your acceptance dependant on a successful test? :-)

Me, I've only required a test shoot for one project, and that's my current cookbook project. I'm requiring tests for any model who meets my criteria, but with whom I've never worked. It's strictly to see how she models, how we get along, and what a quick shoot looks like. If she wants to do it trade (TFP), I'm fine with that. If not, I'm fine with that, too. To date, the five tests I've done have all been trade (at their request), so they got images, and I booked two out of the five. The other three didn't quite have what I was after.

That, to me, is a "test" in this instance.

But you could also call it an "audition" or even a "peanut butter sandwich," now that I've described its purpose.

Jul 05 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Always am surprised by the posts that gripe about models that don't show up, when they show up - aren't what the photos look like and so on. Never have shot a job with a model unless she's tested with me. If the client has picked a model and I don't know them - I request a test. Don't like surprises on a job.

My shortest test was two rolls of film. Average test has been around 200-300 frames. If it turns out well the model gets a print, just like a regular testing. By then I have a good idea of their range and ability and they've learned how to work with me.

I also have models that say "I'll test only if it leads to a job". Next model please.

Jul 05 06 02:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

clients typically do go sees, right? to see and meet the models and take a snapshot or two?

i would say that meeting the model for coffee and a quick book lookover should suffice, take a few polaroids if you want to.

i mean he could be just wanting to shoot with you and then not give you the job.

Jul 05 06 02:29 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

phcorcoran wrote:
I've done lots of test shoots for clients.  The main purpose of a test shoot is to see whether a model shows up on time, prepared, resembling her photos, and whether she follows direction well. 

Of those important points, I would say that the "on time" is the most important.  Show up five minutes late when everyone else managed to get there on time and you can kiss the job goodbye.

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
Always am surprised by the posts that gripe about models that don't show up, when they show up - aren't what the photos look like and so on. Never have shot a job with a model unless she's tested with me. If the client has picked a model and I don't know them - I request a test. Don't like surprises on a job.

My shortest test was two rolls of film. Average test has been around 200-300 frames. If it turns out well the model gets a print, just like a regular testing. By then I have a good idea of their range and ability and they've learned how to work with me.

I also have models that say "I'll test only if it leads to a job". Next model please.

Exactly - this is how it works in the REAL world of modeling! 

I couldn't have said it any better.

Best Regards,
JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jul 05 06 02:43 am Link

Model

GoldCoastGirl

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Sindia wrote:

Thanks
Sindia

Sindia

Did you end up doing the test shoot?

Also, on this same subject, I did do a test shoot for a company/photographer recently (see my profile's latest images) in re: possible calendar shoot as well as other projects he will have in the very near future........  anyway.... he shot me in a bikini and then in casual clothes... 

(I feel stupid for admitting this so please learn from my mistake)

...then he "did me a deal" on the 40+ photos I ended up choosing to have burnt to CD and to use (non-profit manner)... he charged me $200 for the lot. His reasoning for the charge was to cover his expenses since he did photography full time as a self-employed individual.  I fell for it.

I got ripped off didn't I?

No I havn't signed anything.  The contract is verbal.  Does paying a photographer for any images justify me in being able to use them in a for-profit manner (ie to sell as prints online or in real life for instance) ?

Please forgive me for hijacking this thread... just that what Sindia said striked a cord with me... I think she may be speaking about the same person I just did a shoot with recently (earlier this week).

Jul 05 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

GoldCoastGirl wrote:

Sindia

Did you end up doing the test shoot?

Also, on this same subject, I did do a test shoot for a company/photographer recently (see my profile's latest images) in re: possible calendar shoot as well as other projects he will have in the very near future........  anyway.... he shot me in a bikini and then in casual clothes... 

(I feel stupid for admitting this so please learn from my mistake)

...then he "did me a deal" on the 40+ photos I ended up choosing to have burnt to CD and to use (non-profit manner)... he charged me $200 for the lot. His reasoning for the charge was to cover his expenses since he did photography full time as a self-employed individual.  I fell for it.

I got ripped off didn't I?

No I havn't signed anything.  The contract is verbal.  Does paying a photographer for any images justify me in being able to use them in a for-profit manner (ie to sell as prints online or in real life for instance) ?

Please forgive me for hijacking this thread... just that what Sindia said striked a cord with me... I think she may be speaking about the same person I just did a shoot with recently (earlier this week).

What are you, four years old???!!!  Crikey - I've seen jellyfish with more self-determination!  That photographer may have screwed you, but it was you spread yourself wide open - in a manner of speaking.

And no, the rights remain with the photographer unless he signs them away.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jul 05 06 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

I would like to say: " I will only hire a model *after* a test-shoot."  That would be in a "perfect" world.  In the real world that's not always possible - it takes a tremendous amount of time to schedule and conduct shoot tests, and sometimes the client has already selected a model.  If the client or someone else is **responsible** for the model chosen - that's OK, it saves me the burden of doing the tests. Even still, I would much prefer to test before doing the final so I know what to expect.

But when I am *responsible* for finding and hiring the models - test shoots are required. If she doesn't test, she doesn't exist.  It's rare that I will hire a model for anything of importance that I haven't tested first.

Usually my tests are extensive. NOT 4 shots but usually 400 or more, and takes about 2 hours.  I don't just test for *one* project and then throw all the shots away and do it all over again for the next project. That would be both absurd and impossible.  When I test a model it will be for every project I currently have and every project I ever will have for as long as she wishes to remain a model. So I try to get as many different looks as possible to present to my clients. Every new project I receive, I submit all the models I have ever tested (who I feel would be good) to the client for choosing.  If I don't already have what the client wants - that's when I go to testing new models. In appreciation of their time, I *always* give the model a hi-res CD of every shot taken to use however she wishes unrestricted.  I will even do the Photoshop retouching of the shots she chooses to use for her portfolio. 

To comment on some responses I just read, occasionally there might be some listings where there is no real job available, and the photographer is really looking for TFP - but that's the rare exception - not the rule.  Even if that is the case - so what?  The model has benefited with additional camera experience and updated portfolio shots. 

The term "Test-Shoot" in Still Photography is the same thing as a "Screen-Test" in motion picture photography.  Does anyone who lives in the real world think that actors are hired sight unseen based on a headshot?  Absolutely not!  They must first "show" on film how they would perform the actions and dialogue that they would be doing in the real movie.  Same thing.

-Glenn

Jul 05 06 03:47 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Christopher Ambler wrote:
If you've been selected for the calendar, why not get that contract signed first? Or is your acceptance dependant on a successful test? :-)

But you could also call it an "audition" or even a "peanut butter sandwich," now that I've described its purpose.

Glenn Francis wrote:
The term "Test-Shoot" in Still Photography is the same thing as a "Screen-Test" in motion picture photography.  Does anyone who lives in the real world think that actors are hired sight unseen based on a headshot?  Absolutely not!  They must first "show" on film how they would perform the actions and dialogue that they would be doing in the real movie.  Same thing.

-Glenn

I'll make a particular distinction here that only a few posts above point up:

TFP = for the benefit of photographer and model - model is compensated with photos in exchange for time = there is usually no particular job offer at the end of it, that is not the objective.

Test =  an audition = often but not always in costume and make-up = for the benefit of the CLIENT. There is usually a job OFFER at the end of it if the test is successful. Model is usually NOT compensated, though, in the porn business in particular, there is such a thing as a "paid test," and more occasionally in main stream expenses to travel for a test may be re-paid. But you don't get copies of the test material for your own use. A test is NOT merely a go see. A test is NOT about YOU it IS about business decisions the CLIENT is making.

So... insisting on being absolutely "hired" [getting a signed contract] before a test is unrealistic. Insisting on treating it as a TFP is also unrealistic - it is neither for your benefit or the photographer's but rather the client's.

Consider... If you went for a job interview at McDonald's would you also expect, or get, free hamburgers? NO! If you applied for a job at at Ford would you expect or get a free car? NO! If you begin to make the demands you aren't gonna get the job. If you won't go at all... you already made the decision that you don't want it. It is usually the case where a test is asked for that no test [refusal] = no job offer; but even after a test there may still be no job offer from a client if in THEIR judgement you don't fit the bill for the job.

I test performers all the time on video... maybe 5, 6, or even 8 for the same part... only one gets THE job but the others may be offered SOME job. If they refuse to test or try to start with conditions they are no longer even in the running. To the client they are invisible. NEXT!!!!!

Studio36

Jul 05 06 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm bemused by all of this.  The claim that people in the professional industry require extensive test shoots as part of the hiring process for print jobs is entirely outside my experience.

Let me be clear:  I have been involved with the casting of well over 5,000 commercial print jobs.  Not once - not one single time - has the client or photographer requested a "test" consisting of more than a very few "Polaroid-like" reference pictures.  It just has not happened.

I don't know where all this pre-shoot testing is taking place, but it isn't in the commercial advertising/client world that I am familiar with - and that is true whether the client, the ad agency, a casting director or the photographer did the casting.

Jul 05 06 07:07 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

TXPhotog wrote:
I'm bemused by all of this.  The claim that people in the professional industry require extensive test shoots as part of the hiring process for print jobs is entirely outside my experience....
...and that is true whether the client, the ad agency, a casting director or the photographer did the casting.

What the OP, and some of the others as well as myself, might have been alluding to is a PRE-casting. The job contract not yet being let to any particular model but where only a rough go-see pre-selection of candidates has been made... and only a select few are being called back.

You also know that, at least in my case, I am not talking about strictly conventional commercial print work, or necessarily even advertising, either.

One of the best, or worst, practices [depending on which end of the stick you are holding] I have ever come across is in Japan. The "working test." After the pre-selection the girls are called back put in their gear and make-up and shot one after the other [usually only two or three girls at this point] in identical sets. Everything goes to the client who chooses which set to actually use in their campaign. That girl gets paid. The other(s) do not.

The inscrutable Japanese theory is that it incentivises the girls to be, do and perform their absolute best. In the Japanese way of doing things it also turns on the concept of "face" between model and their agency as well and between agency and client. Different strokes...

Oh, and it also appears to be a quite legal practice there as well.

Studio36

Jul 05 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

studio36uk wrote:
What the OP, and some of the others as well as myself, might have been alluding to is a PRE-casting. The job contract not yet being let to any particular model but where only a rough go-see pre-selection of candidates has been made... and only a select few are being called back.

I understand that.  I've been involved in a lot of call-backs too. None of them included "test shoots" of more than the "Polaroid" type.

Now admittedly, those castings and call-backs were for commercial print and fashion jobs, and the practices of other kinds of segments (the "calendar" segment, as we have just seen) may be different.  I can't speak for those.

Jul 05 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

So much distrust out there!  Did you simply ask the photographer if this was a TFP or a "go see"?  I wonder how many models lose paying jobs because of being suspecious and distrusting?

Jul 05 06 08:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

TXPhotog wrote:

I understand that.  I've been involved in a lot of call-backs too. None of them included "test shoots" of more than the "Polaroid" type.

Now admittedly, those castings and call-backs were for commercial print and fashion jobs, and the practices of other kinds of segments (the "calendar" segment, as we have just seen) may be different.  I can't speak for those.

i think that if it is anything to have to do with a job that the model, other than a casting or call back, the model should be compensated for her time- because it is related to the job and required, so the client should pay her. when a wardrobe stylist gets hired for somthing, she/he is paid for their prep time. when i do a camera test, i still get paid for my time. you might not always get the luxury of telling a client "i only shoot with girls i have shot before" and things go wrong on sets ALL the time that lead to talent being replaced. i say that if the photographer is so uncomfortable with his casting choices, perhaps they should arrange a more put together and professional "go-see" rather than playing the intrenet guessing game.

but i am also not familiar with the webglam or calendar world, so perhaps things rae different.

Jul 05 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rachelrose wrote:
i think that if it is anything to have to do with a job that the model, other than a casting or call back, the model should be compensated for her time-

Now that I think about it, I do recall one time that a model was asked to do a test-shoot.  It was a strange situation.  He was cast in New York for a shoot that was to take place in Las Vegas.  The client had his own favorite, but was willing to give my model a chance.  So after a go-see and callback in NYC, (neither of which involved more than Polaroids), they flew him to Las Vegas for a test shoot.  They paid for the trip, paid for his hotel and meals, and gave him $1,500 for the test shoot.  That was part of the deal before he ever got on the plane.

Oh, by the way, he also was hired for the job, which turned out to be both a print and TV ad, so he got a lot more money for the actual job itself.

Edited to add:  I just remembered that I have a copy of the ad that resulted from all of this, and it might be fun for people to see it.  My model is the guy with the flute:

www.txphotog.com/Posts/amenaflautista.mpg

Jul 05 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Same planet, different worlds.

What works in porn different in calendar and different in commercial.

I guess one (particularly models) should be clear in the part of the world they're going to be operating in!

Jul 05 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Treagen

Detroit, Michigan, US

Sindia wrote:

Thanks
Sindia

I think I should add.

Not to sound vain, but the work I've seen of the photog and the models used previously weren't very impressive. Had it been so, I would be less suspicious.

When I sent him a few photos, he came of as extremely excited and said that I was just what they we're looking for then later mentioned the test shoot.

The combination of things means I wont be doing a test shoot (in this particular instance).

test happen for big mags etc when your a new model. thing is, the big companies pay for test. it's kinda like a "dress rehearsal" type deal, with out all the styling etc.

Jul 05 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Treagen Kier wrote:
test happen for big mags etc when your a new model. thing is, the big companies pay for test. it's kinda like a "dress rehearsal" type deal, with out all the styling etc.

Could you give some examples from your own experience?  I know of no such case.  In fact, magazines pay very little for the shoot itself, let alone a test.  So what have you actually seen happen, and for whom?

Jul 05 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

KM von Seidl wrote:
Same planet, different worlds.

What works in porn different in calendar and different in commercial.

I guess one (particularly models) should be clear in the part of the world they're going to be operating in!

Really!

test = hamburger
test = evergreen tree
test = tfpxrd5
test = milk
test = pogostick

John

Jul 05 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Anthony

Glendale, California, US

maybe the photog meant a go-see but doesn't know the terminology?  did ya ask him to define test shoot?  also, if the quality of his work matters why bother with it?  if you're in it for the money, then why care about the quality?

Jul 05 06 12:07 pm Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

reminds me of this sort of , not the same but similar..

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?t … 687&page=1

Jul 05 06 12:09 pm Link