Forums > General Industry > accidentally good photos?

Photographer

Southwest Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I'm wondering how often (if ever), photographers here get great shots by accident...like a door slams and startles the model into a new look, or you snap the shutter unintentionally...I can pose a pretty good shot, but some of my best images came about through some random moment that none of us was expecting.

An example is this shot; Steve's cousin had a pan of water and was trying to get Steve's hair a little bit wet; the guy holding the water slipping and dumped a quart of water on Steve's head all at once...steve looked over at me, a little surprised, and this was the photo.

https://69.42.146.22/list/deck.jpg

Jul 04 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

All of my good shots are accidental.  The ones I do on purpose always end up in the "never-see-the-light-of-day" pile...

Jul 04 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Nothing captures REALITY better.

Jul 04 06 01:43 pm Link

Model

icca

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

i find the most natural smiles come out in accidental shots

Jul 04 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Um.. Yeah.. 

The pros catch the accidents better.. Cause them, sometimes..

Oh.. And most of all.. Would deny this to their graves..

(At least that's my guess..  If I've done anything good yet.. I promise.. It wasn't on purpose..)

Jul 04 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisCorbettPhotography

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Someone once said "luck favors the prepared mind" or something to that effect. Was Ansel Adams just accidentally driving by Hernandez New Mexico at dusk when he saw the light reflecting off the cross that caused him to take his most famous image "Moonrise over Hernandez"? Maybe. Most of my best images required quite a bit of effort to be in position to get that "accidental" shot.

Jul 04 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Myke Newman

Memphis, Tennessee, US

That's usually the best way to capture the unscripted essence of a subject. Those are truly the best shots.

Jul 04 06 04:33 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

a technically bad photographer may, in fact, get an on line portfolio that's ALL accidental but does look good!
;-)
but if he can see the Art to choose those images...
then, hes still an artist!

yes?

GREAT shot of Steve BTW

Namaste

Jul 11 06 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

she looked down and moved her dress just as i was about to snap the photo...but i think i like it better than the proper, posed version.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/krankykreme/isanibridge1.jpg

Jul 11 06 03:27 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Luck is the residue of good planning.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jul 11 06 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Jay Bowman wrote:
All of my good shots are accidental.  The ones I do on purpose always end up in the "never-see-the-light-of-day" pile...

second that...

All I do good I end up wondering: How the hell have I done that??

Jul 11 06 03:35 am Link

Photographer

RealFocus Photography

I wish my planned shoots would turn out, the vision in my mind is amazing. But, I'd have to say that the accidental photos are god's vision in my eyes. All of my favorite shots have been accidental.

Jul 11 06 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Renard Garr

yeah I agree with what someone said earlier ---
all my photos are accidents.. my best stuff comes from careful unplanning with is hard to do.
it's zen like

知られているものが忘れるため

hanZo

Jul 11 06 03:44 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I'm just there to set things in motion.

Jul 11 06 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

I am always thankful for those wonderful happy accidents. They make for the best capture of a beautiful moment in life and reality. It can't be 100% luck, though. You need the eye to see it and the technical expertise to record it.

Jul 11 06 07:08 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

You have to have some sort of "spider-sense" that says - click the shutter NOW! You may not be totally ready, but you must trust that instinct.

I readily admit I do a much better job of this in non-model situations. With models, I tend to spend more time setting up a shoot and not paying as much attention to my instinct. Hopefully as I shoot more, this will be a more natural process for me..

Jul 11 06 08:28 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

That's the best thing about digital, you can take a million shots in a session, and it's only the one lucky one that doesn't get deleted.  Or is it just me...?

Jul 11 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

I heard once GWC dropped his camera and got an excellent upskirt shot so it is possible.

Jul 11 06 08:55 am Link