Forums > General Industry > What does it take to be a model

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

ANYBODY CAN BE A MODEL!!!!!

prime  example

this gial is famous in the uk just because  her boyfriend play soccer... he look like shreck!!!! now if she can  be called a model anybody can

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-20 … 4,,00.html

Jul 04 06 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

take a better look..... i mean a $5 million  contract with  the wallmart  sister here in the UK  ASDA thats worth a second look
http://www.myvillage.com/photos/coleen-mcloughlin.htm

Jul 04 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

theedge

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's all about going for it..  The 'IT" Factor.. Some people have "it" & some have to go back in there cubicle & wait for "Dress Down Thursday" or " Kryspie Kreme Friday" & wait by the water cooler & wonder...

hand models, plus size, fitness models, petite, all kinds of modeling..

Jul 04 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

In my humble opinion, the most important thing a model has to have is a captivating expression. She has to evoke something that is appealing. A real smile can go a mile. I will take an expressive face over just a body anytime. I think a model should make you feel a variety of emotional responses. I have found that the experienced and professional models don't need much direction. You can just click away. They know what they're doing and what it is they're trying to convey with their eyes and body language. You can see in someone's eyes whether their mood or expression is fake or not. If they have an endearing personality that makes you want to know them, it will come through in the picture.

Jul 04 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Dave Krueger wrote:
What's a toe bitch?

Haha .. just an expression. It seemed like something a Diva would demand.
Electra T said it in the way I meant.

I picked it up from this very sweet and charming girl who I love ....

http://www.footnight.com/ToeTalk/samples/MsZena1.wmv

She's coming here soon for photos. She said she will seduce me with her feet.
I said she can try. ROFL. This is going to be fun :-)

I'm so damn happy to be alive.

Stay tuned for my upcoming photo theme set ....

"Click" Ham Hamilton III, Esq.
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

Jul 04 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

It doesn't take all that much to "be" a model ... but it takes a lot more to be successful at it! 

Some of the things that are important to me about models is number one, they show up!  Then it's about their "look" and ability to portray it.  They should be comfortable with their body ... for that reason I prefer models who are also skilled dancers. One should also enjoy modeling!  Don't do it just for money!  The rest is subjective as to what being "a model" means towards ones success. 

I have a niece in Hollywood who is struggling right now.  She can model, and she has done enough acting to get her SAG card.  But she is looking into going to college to be a massage therapist?   I am not so sure she is going the right direction.

Why is she frustrated with the acting?  Honestly, I think she is getting turned down for roles because she talks too fast, and doesn't always annunciate her words correctly.  I think she should work on her speech with a professional. 

A REAL model doesn't give up!  Neither does an actor!

Jul 04 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

miss z

San Francisco, California, US

Class Act Photography wrote:
.. I have found that the experienced and professional models don't need much direction. You can just click away. They know what they're doing and what it is they're trying to convey ..

Then this defeats the whole purpose for the newbies. sad

The question is how to get there..

Jul 04 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

I have found that the experienced and professional models don't need much direction. You can just click away.

i have found that sometimes to be a problem.  it takes a bit to "unpose" them and avoid cookie-cutter shots.

Jul 04 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Myke Newman

Memphis, Tennessee, US

First, let's be honest there is market for all types of models, and of course some on this site are not model material, but who is to judge they' re having fun and are at least trying.

Jul 04 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Jul 04 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Daring - 360ism Studios

Washington, District of Columbia, US

In my humble opinion, the most important thing a model has to have is a captivating expression. She has to evoke something that is appealing. A real smile can go a mile. I will take an expressive face over just a body anytime. I think a model should make you feel a variety of emotional responses. I have found that the experienced and professional models don't need much direction. You can just click away. They know what they're doing and what it is they're trying to convey with their eyes and body language. You can see in someone's eyes whether their mood or expression is fake or not. If they have an endearing personality that makes you want to know them, it will come through in the picture.

I have to agree with this ...many times I see a good looking model or know of a talented model who can give you so much through a glance or simple expression.  but the images of them don't seem really seem to show their sexiness or drive or passion even...I have to chalk it up to the photog not being familiar enough with the model to capture that or the model not being comfortable enough to show it ...

Jul 04 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Daring - 360ism Studios

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

lol

"A small ole booty
or a nice sized Peach"...however you want to put it.....lol

Actually small ole booty didn't sound right

Jul 04 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Daring - 360ism Studios

Doug Swinskey wrote:
the ability to reflect light...

if i get that, as a photographer, i can do almost anything

Reflecting light is a good thing....I have on one occasion run into a model that soaked up light....it was kinda scary

Jul 04 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

To be a model it takes not much. Just showing up and standing there.

To be  "Good Model" its takes a look,dedication, wanting to learn and get better at the craft, showing up to things on time, giving it your all with minimal attitude. smile

Jul 04 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Myke Newman wrote:
First, let's be honest there is market for all types of models, and of course some on this site are not model material...

Isn't that a contradiction?  If there's a market for all types of models, then how can there be anyone who isn't model material?

Jul 05 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

KEVIN HILL wrote:

Yep.  And anyone can be President.

Jul 05 06 01:24 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

KEVIN HILL wrote:

Dave Krueger wrote:

Given that I'm a model and taking a glance at the way our country is currently being governed, I'd say you're both correct.  smile

Jul 05 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
She's coming here soon for photos. She said she will seduce me with her feet.

Stay tuned for my upcoming photo theme set ....

I will be watching for that.  She ought to be great.  Of course, I'd find it hard not to like a woman who uses phrases like Toe Bitch.  It has a Bohemian Dominatrix southern women's work farm ring to it.  wink

-Dave

Jul 05 06 01:31 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Shyly wrote:

KEVIN HILL wrote:

Dave Krueger wrote:

Given that I'm a model and taking a glance at the way our country is currently being governed, I'd say you're both correct.  smile

Looking at your portfolio I can say you're a hell of a lot better at modeling than Bush is at Presidenting.

Jul 05 06 01:49 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

He is the PRESIDENTER!!!

Dave Krueger wrote:
Looking at your portfolio I can say you're a hell of a lot better at modeling than Bush is at Presidenting.

Jul 07 06 04:19 am Link

Model

Kataxenna

London, England, United Kingdom

Dedication and being to build up a good relationship with the camera

Jul 07 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rahim The Photographer

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Or read this thread:

its been done.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=57931

Jul 07 06 03:29 pm Link

Model

Coco from Houston

Houston, Texas, US

I guess from the looks of it, ANYONE can be a model. All you have to do is proclaim it and it is whatever you'd like to do.

ie.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=59555

Jul 08 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Zorina Seva wrote:
The question is how to get there..

HINTS: [and NO I am NOT kidding at least in the British context]

1) Be outrageous in public places

2) Get as much free publicity as possible for being outrageous in public places.

3) Get a b/f who is a sports "star", TV "star", music "star" or film "star" - even if no one has ever heard your name before, they will be attracted to you, and you will get the publicity pretty quickly upon which to build. The odd BJ in a public place wouldn't hurt at this point.

4) After the b/f is established cheat on him - IN PUBLIC PLACES, See hint 1) and 2)
BJs figure in this part too... especially if the paps or police are there when you do it.

5) Hire Max Clifford as your PR manager. He will make sure the paps or police are there when you need them.

6) Sell your "story" to the tabloids.

7) Repeat the above more than once as required.

8) EVENTUALLY you will have enough name recognition that someone will hire you to model something... and pay you big bucks to do it.

Studio36

Jul 08 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

Dee W

Owings Mills, Maryland, US

turning your photographer on

Jul 08 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Daring - 360ism Studios

Diana A wrote:
turning your photographer on

LOL....this is not a feat easily accomplished...well then again

Jul 11 06 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

1stly it takes time that should not be spent on a silly forum as many of us do, i do it for sheer entertainment unless i'm looking up info.  2ndly, they actually need to search and do research as in anything and not expect it to be handed to them on a platter; as most do... umm... also the ability to act and evoke a character, a feeling, things related to acting.  also to know their body very well because good models know exactly how to position themselves where they will look best when captured on camera. smile

Jul 11 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Ray Ruben wrote:
LOL....this is not a feat easily accomplished...well then again

Show up naked ... bring beer ...

Photographers aren't subtle ...

On the other hand, I haven't a clue what works for male models.

Jul 11 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Professionalism
A complete lack of shame, modesty, or body-hang-ups (ok, everyone HAS those, you just can't let yours affect you while you're working)
No romantic entaglements with possesive controlling partners
A good sense of humor

Jul 11 06 09:40 pm Link

Model

Muse Me

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Have perfect skin.

Jul 11 06 10:10 pm Link