Forums > General Industry > ACLU video - surviving police encounters

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

OK, considering the number of threads on the subject of police hassling photographers, rather than sticking this inside another thread it absolutely deserves to be on the top of one so it can be searched in the database THIS will be the best 45 minutes you have ever spent outside of the shower or the bedroom. So... without further comment I present you:

Surviving Encounters With the Police - aka How to Avoid Being Arrested [alt title (mine): Your Right NOT to Cooperate in Your Own Arrest]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 1350501823

Watch; Listen; Learn; and Enjoy,

Studio36

Jul 02 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

studio36uk wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8520847761350501823

Very good video.  A lot of things people already *sorta* know (many people I find are unsure of things, and that's why they give in to police intimidation).

I would have liked it better had the people not actually been committing crimes, because as someone who does not commit crimes I have been illegally stopped, searched, and questioned several times; and that to me is the real danger of the police.

Having not committed any crime other than speeding -ever- I find it disconcerting how many times I've been stopped and questioned.  Several times in the street, when doing nothing more than walking.  I've had my truck searched without my consent...twice...  I've had my person searched once without my consent while not under arrest.  I've also had what *I* personally feel is several dozen illegal searches of my "papers" when driving and police randomly run my license plate (it is very obvious when they are doing this...cops don't follow you at the pre-determined 5 second interval other than when they have a particular interest in your actions.)

Jul 02 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

P.S. It's not paranoia if they really are all out to get you. smile

Jul 02 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

James Jackson wrote:
Very good video.  A lot of things people already *sorta* know (many people I find are unsure of things, and that's why they give in to police intimidation).

It wouldn't have been quite so instructive if they were just minding their own business  - like, at the onset of his encounter, the chap at the bus stop.

Everything discussed in the video, however, applies especially to someone that is not doing anything to warrant that kind of police involvement - street and location photography in particular; but also some of the more recent incidents noted here and especially the one that involved several police showing up and seizing a cameras and conducting a personal search in circumstances where there was no obvious or apparent wrongdoing. Or the other where the police gave the photographer a boot from his shoot, under the apparent guise of trespass, and it turned out, after a bit of investigation by the photographer, that he was on public property and entitled to be there. Or the guy shooting the bikini clad girl in the park, who offered to show his pictures to the cop to "prove" that he was doing nothing wrong and had his camera seized... all pure, unadulterated, crap.

The ultimate lesson is that if they are intent on arresting you make them work for it... don't do it for them.

There is another [trucking industry] video I have seen about engaging truck drivers on the front lines of the "war on terror"... report anything suspicious and all that crap... here's a toll free number that you can call... and, so, what was the example used of something suspicious? A guy sitting in his car on a public road with a camera. Oh, my... that is the most suspicious thing I've seen all day. When I watched it, I just hoped the guy in the trucking video had seen the ACLU video.

Studio36

Jul 02 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

the boys in blue as we call them in australia [ home of the repressed ] , have a neat new trick that little johhny howard has given them the power to do, they block off the highway both directions no cars in or out, they then search every car, run every occupant of every car, roadworthy every car, drug and ahcohol test every occupant of every car, now while this will not effect me either way, as i drive a new vehicle and have no warrants , nor take drugs, what it does do is piss me the hell off, civil rights in this shithole [ australia ] do not exist ,  since when did 911 give the authorities this sort of power, cannot wait to get a one way ticket outta this place. best way to go these days is marry a lawyer and have them with you whenever you hold a camera, walk the street, or drive? . [this is an interstate i am talking about affecting hundreds of drivers at a time.]

Jul 02 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
...they block off the highway both directions no cars in or out, they then search every car, run every occupant of every car, roadworthy every car, drug and ahcohol test every occupant of every car...

They've been doing that in New Jersey for years...  My dad was witness to them illegally pulling me over and searching my truck without consent during one of these "random" "road-worthiness"  checks.  My dad and I laughed at it, but he at least understands now that when I say "I don't do anything wrong and I get pulled over" I mean it and am telling the absolute truth...

Jul 02 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

the boys in blue as we call them in australia [ home of the repressed ] , have a neat new trick that little johhny howard has given them the power to do, they block off the highway both directions no cars in or out, they then search every car, run every occupant of every car, roadworthy every car, drug and ahcohol test every occupant of every car, now while this will not effect me either way, as i drive a new vehicle and have no warrants , nor take drugs, what it does do is piss me the hell off, civil rights in this shithole do not exist ,  since when did 911 give the authorities this sort of power, cannot wait to get a one way ticket outta this place. best way to go these days is marry a lawyer and have them with you whenever you hold a camera, walk the street, or drive?

Which shithole are you speaking to Aus or NV?

Studio36

Jul 02 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

studio36uk wrote:

Which shithole are you speaking to Aus or NV?

Studio36

australia ,with a capitol A

Jul 02 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

australia ,with a capitol A

Geez, you ought to come to blighty... I can't say that I have even seen a cop, on foot, on horseback or in a car, in the last ten days. Of course the counterpoint is that Britain is overrun with rent-a-cops but they have zero power to do anything.

Studio36

Jul 02 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

James Jackson wrote:

They've been doing that in New Jersey for years...  My dad was witness to them illegally pulling me over and searching my truck without consent during one of these "random" "road-worthiness"  checks.  My dad and I laughed at it, but he at least understands now that when I say "I don't do anything wrong and I get pulled over" I mean it and am telling the absolute truth...

As a former resident of New Jersey....I can really understand what you're saying....another habit they used was following you very closely for miles....pulling you over for something small like you front wheel going over the center line on a curb....not all the way ....but just a bit.....then ticket you for driving erratically......crap... after a cop follows anyone for 3-4 miles right on your bumper ...you get nervous and yes...drive erratically.....

No wonder NJ loses on the avg....30,000 people a month moving out of state.....besides killing you with taxes.....some of the highest auto insurance rates in the country......the cops use their power to make money for their municipalities....

Jul 02 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
after a cop follows anyone for 3-4 miles right on your bumper ...you get nervous and yes...drive erratically.....

Back country road, no highway lights, moonless night... a car comes out of nowhere and starts tailing me in my truck, moving in closer and closer.  Suddenly I can no longer see its headlights and realize that is because they are under my tailgate (which is down) and that is literally how close this car was... well... I don't know anyone who would just let that stay that way for very long.  About 30 seconds goes by and I speed up.  Car gets right under me again.  I slow down and then speed up again.  Car right under me again.

We get to an intersection and the streetlights let me see that it is a cop.  After the light changes to green, he pulls me over.

Asshole.

Jul 02 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i benn searched MENNY times every time i say no you can not search my car it is always "is that a pipe i see" or "i smell some thing" and they have "parable cause" then they proseed to brake things in my car grrrrrrrrrr sad  evin had a dog shit in my car 1 time and they left it for me to clean up i complained but i got told "it some times happens"

Jul 02 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

There is very minimal and infrequent police roadblock activity in urban Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area).

Jul 02 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Young Photography

San Francisco, California, US

INever wrote:
There is very minimal and infrequent police roadblock activity in urban Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area).

No need to now... They used gentification, and incarceration to get rid of most of the so-called "problem" areas and people. The 80's & 90's was a tough time for me as a teen here.  Glad to hear things are great for you now.

Jul 02 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Craiger

Lakeland, Florida, US

...amazing. Not the video, the responses...

Jul 02 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

craig-r wrote:
...amazing. Not the video, the responses...

how so?

Jul 02 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I watched the video and found it to be pretty informative.

Most people know that after being arrested, you have the right to remain silent.

What they don't know is BEFORE being arrested, you also have the right to remain silent!  It's the conversation that takes place with the police BEFORE the arrest which gets you into trouble. The video clearly shows the results of both scenarios.

Because of that, I think the law should be changed to where the Miranda rights are stated before ANY questioning takes place. 

Currently, the police are typically required to read the Moranda rights to a suspect while they're being arrested.  The Miranda is simply a 'reminder' that the suspect doesn't have to say anything. 

The one thing that I didn't like about the video is the portrayal of the Police Officers.  It was actually offensive. In most of the scenarios they made 'em look like 'Barney Fife'.  While I'm sure that there are some cops out there that resemble the cops as portrayed, the majority of 'em are well trained, clear thinking professionals.

Jul 03 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

studio36uk wrote:
Britain is overrun with rent-a-cops but they have zero power to do anything.

And no guns!!! LOL! What do they do, yell, "STOP!! Or I'll... yell stop AGAIN!"??

mjr.

Jul 03 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
I think the law should be changed to where the Moranda rights

That'd be "Miranda"...  Don't play TV lawyer.

mjr.

Jul 03 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Dont bother familiarizing yourself with your rights.  That is no longer necessary since King George assumed the throne.

Jul 03 06 09:08 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
And no guns!!! LOL! What do they do, yell, "STOP!! Or I'll... yell stop AGAIN!"??

mjr.

You ain't far wrong with that... no pepper spray [mace] or billy clubs either... they won't even chase you if you drop the merchandise. No fun at all.

Studio36

Jul 03 06 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

James Jackson wrote:

I would have liked it better had the people not actually been committing crimes, because as someone who does not commit crimes I have been illegally stopped, searched, and questioned several times; and that to me is the real danger of the police.

Having not committed any crime other than speeding -ever- I find it disconcerting how many times I've been stopped and questioned.  Several times in the street, when doing nothing more than walking.  I've had my truck searched without my consent...twice...  I've had my person searched once without my consent while not under arrest.  I've also had what *I* personally feel is several dozen illegal searches of my "papers" when driving and police randomly run my license plate (it is very obvious when they are doing this...cops don't follow you at the pre-determined 5 second interval other than when they have a particular interest in your actions.)

running a plate is not a search though, how can it be illegal... also how do you think cops find stolen cars.

Jul 03 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

That'd be "Miranda"...  Don't play TV lawyer.

mjr.

Yer right
it's too early for me
i'm going back to bed.

Jul 03 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Justin Gracey wrote:

running a plate is not a search though, how can it be illegal... also how do you think cops find stolen cars.

Well it's a search of my personal information and personal effects to me.

If running the plate simply returned a result of "stolen" or "not stolen" to the police computer I would agree that it is not an illegal search.  However, at present in most municipalities in the United States, when a police officer within your own state runs your license plate in his on-board computer system the result is a full list of your name, address, telephone number, driving record, any past tickets issued (not just the convictions mind you, but also what you've been accused of), as well as comments by other officers who have stopped you in the past and a threat level assessment.

How do I know this?  I've read it all right from a computer screen about me.

If that is not an illegal random search of my personal information I don't know what is.

Jul 03 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Knowing your rights is MORE important when the government is overstepping its authority, not less important.

Jul 03 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

UCPhotog

Hartford, Connecticut, US

James Jackson wrote:

Well it's a search of my personal information and personal effects to me.

If running the plate simply returned a result of "stolen" or "not stolen" to the police computer I would agree that it is not an illegal search.  However, at present in most municipalities in the United States, when a police officer within your own state runs your license plate in his on-board computer system the result is a full list of your name, address, telephone number, driving record, any past tickets issued (not just the convictions mind you, but also what you've been accused of), as well as comments by other officers who have stopped you in the past and a threat level assessment.

How do I know this?  I've read it all right from a computer screen about me.

If that is not an illegal random search of my personal information I don't know what is.

You forget - it's not YOUR plate. The plate belongs to the state. You simply pay license fees to use it and when you stop paying those fees, you need to return the STATE'S property to their agent, the DMV. Part of the licensing of that plate allows other agents of the state, law enforcement, to check it's validity and assure proper usage.

Jul 05 06 01:16 am Link