Forums > General Industry > is there work outside of nude modeling

Model

Shanna

Weatherford, Oklahoma, US

yeah i know im a nude model, and with that it makes finding work as easy as sliceing pie. But the way people treat me sometimes just drives me insane, not to mention i can never have an actual career.
So I was wondering, is thier even work out there for non-nude models?
I know alot of photographers make non-nude girls pay money, which is dumb but whatever..anywho i dont have anything to put in here,
so does anyone have any good advice for me?

Jul 01 06 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Star Adrael

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

There is work out there, but compared with the nude industry, its RARE.  You have to have something very special, and an agent helps!

Good Luck!

Jul 01 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Earth Wind and Water

Seattle, Washington, US

models used for Target, Kmart... there are jobs out there, you just have to have "it" to get those jobs.  Not having a big head, show up on time, and have the talent and looks goes a long way.

Jul 04 06 05:40 pm Link

Model

AimeeD

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

In commercial modeling... Yes, there is, for "naturals" like me.  BUT I have yet to get any paying work from this site.  However, networking can work wonders given time.

Jul 04 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Have you applied to any commercial agencies?  That would be your first step.  If you want commercial, paid non-nude work, you will need quality commercial type images in your portfolio.  You might have to pay for some of those from a professional photographer (with commercial credentials) to get a commercial agency to take interest in you. At 5' 3", you are at a disadvantage though.

Jul 04 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Jul 04 06 05:58 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I've gotten great jobs and I wont even do implied nude.You dont have to have an agency rep to get good work, you just need to network and be professional with others. I've found it's more of a " who you know" basis that gets you where you want to be. I would say that and location/being in the right place at the right time.

Jul 04 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Yes.  We do lifestyle commercial stock shoots.  We pay all of your models.  We need models that can convey the emotions of life (happy, sad, funny, love, anger, joy, etc, etc).  Non-nudes.  You have an edgy look.  That would work for some stock sessions/themes. 

If you lived in Atlanta, we would discuss working with you.  Perhaps you should seek out stock photographers in your area.

Remember, MM is a good place to get ideas, find models or photographers, etc.... but, you also need to market yourself offline.

Jul 04 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Cyberella  wrote:
the way people treat me sometimes just drives me insane, not to mention i can never have an actual career.

Nude work is as honorable as non nude work, in principal.
The way people treat you depends on what kind of people
you work with. I know of excellent nude models who have
great careers in or out of the model business.

Jul 04 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I personally never model nude and I do work all the time.

OK, all kidding aside.  Here is a bit of a reality check and I have to apologize for this.  You are 5'3".  That is a tremendous handicap in the mainstream.  Sorry, but sometimes we sugarcoat things.

You can certainly do promotions and tradeshows.  There are some kinds of non-nude glamour work, such as car magazines and swimsuit magazines where height isn't an issue.

The bottom line though is that it is tough to get mainstream commercial work at your height.   But there is no reason not to give it a shot.  Getting mainstream work has never been easy, but you have no chance of getting it of you don't try.

Good luck to you.  I like your look and I have actually thought about booking you next time I shoot in Texas.

Jul 04 06 06:24 pm Link