Forums > General Industry > To "creep",or not to "creep"That is the question..

Photographer

Ron Young Photography

San Francisco, California, US

A lot of threads speak on different subjects, but when broken down most of them all revolve around the photgrapher/model relationship and the "creepy factor".  Are we too sensitive now when it comes to this?  Being that most "creepy" artists back in the day were labeled "eccentric", the room for them to explore what made them what they were resulted in works that we treasure today.  Salvatore Dali was a pretty creepy guy to me, but his work is undeniably genius. 

I think in this "information age" sometimes we can be too informed.  As a child of a law enforcement officer (prior to the internet), I would hear sensational stories about bad people doing insanely crazy things. These overheard stories kept me in fear, on alert, and paranoid until I realized that those stories are of a isolated few, and that the overall majority of people live their lives without anything EVER happening to them.

As a photographer I resent the fact that the words "creepy", and "photographer" have become so synonomous with each other because of the evening news and REAL creeps like Jeffrey Dahmer, Richard Ramirez, and Ted Bundy being that none of them ever claim to be photgraphers.  But whenever someone is planning to meet with a photgrapher the creep radar goes on.

How can you really tell whether ANYONE you meet on the internet or in the grocery store is going to be a creep, rapist, or mass murderer? A 30-minute series of questions in a public place? I mean, are you really qualifed to discern who's who?  Most creeps tend to reveal themselves after months of knowing a person. And why are models exempt from the "creepy" label (because believe me, I've met some real creepy one's)?

Jul 01 06 09:15 pm Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

Ron Young Photography wrote:
As a photographer I resent the fact that the words "creepy", and "photographer" have become so synonomous with each other because of the evening news and REAL creeps like Jeffrey Dahmer, Richard Ramirez, and Ted Bundy being that none of them ever claim to be photgraphers.

At least those creeps are interesting to read about wink

But seriously, I don't think that everyone considers every photographer creepy. It's just the fact that a lot of things can happen when meeting someone that you've never met before. I don't think that meeting up with a photographer should be any "creepier" than meeting with someone for an interview or seeing a new doctor. Photography is a pretty good way for creeps to do creepy things though. I guess that's what people like me watch out for. hmm

Jul 01 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

A model once explained it to me by saying: "A creep is a guy who doesn't know that he is a creep."

Jul 01 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

A lot of threads speak on different subjects, but when broken down most of them all revolve around the photgrapher/model relationship and the "creepy factor".  Are we too sensitive now when it comes to this?  Being that most "creepy" artists back in the day were labeled "eccentric", the room for them to explore what made them what they were resulted in works that we treasure today.  Salvatore Dali was a pretty creepy guy to me, but his work is undeniably genius. 

I think in this "information age" sometimes we can be too informed.  As a child of a law enforcement officer (prior to the internet), I would hear sensational stories about bad people doing insanely crazy things. These overheard stories kept me in fear, on alert, and paranoid until I realized that those stories are of a isolated few, and that the overall majority of people live their lives without anything EVER happening to them.

As a photographer I resent the fact that the words "creepy", and "photographer" have become so synonomous with each other because of the evening news and REAL creeps like Jeffrey Dahmer, Richard Ramirez, and Ted Bundy being that none of them ever claim to be photgraphers.  But whenever someone is planning to meet with a photgrapher the creep radar goes on.

How can you really tell whether ANYONE you meet on the internet or in the grocery store is going to be a creep, rapist, or mass murderer? A 30-minute series of questions in a public place? I mean, are you really qualifed to discern who's who?  Most creeps tend to reveal themselves after months of knowing a person. And why are models exempt from the "creepy" label (because believe me, I've met some real creepy one's)?

With experience and age you can get  a "read" on people.  Those with criminal tendencies show them off pretty fast.  Stealing, lying , cheating, all warning flags but not necessarily mean you.

Jul 01 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

The problem here in CA (LA area), is that everytime you turn on the news, they have a cover story about how photographers are terrorists, child predators, or some other mischievous unsavory character...

They have bulletins about if someone shoots bridges, train stations, or other points of interest, the've got to be up to criminal activity, or if they have a camera around school functions, like sporting events, they're child predators & wannabee molestors...

I guess if you take a camera to the football game, you're really a GWC that's wishfully thinking that all the sudden naked underage girls are going to run onto the field & start posing for you during 3rd quarter ??? Everybody knows that ISO 1250 is the sexy ISO... smile...

Paul

Jul 01 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

How can you really tell whether ANYONE you meet on the internet or in the grocery store is going to be a creep, rapist, or mass murderer? A 30-minute series of questions in a public place? I mean, are you really qualifed to discern who's who?  Most creeps tend to reveal themselves after months of knowing a person.

Generally, we can't. Just look at a large fraction of the people we elect to political office.

Jul 01 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Glamourscape

St Paul, Alberta, Canada

But whenever someone is planning to meet with a photgrapher the creep radar goes on. 

Some of the stereo-typed creepo photographer stems from television...

The mysterious stalker has been studying and photographing his prey. Law enforcement enters the apartment of the stalker/rapist where they find photographs of recent victims covering the walls like a shrine; smeared with lipstick. Negatives hang from the shower curtain bar, in the make-shift darkroom. As they traverse down the dark stairway to the basement, they hear the moans of a young model that’s been gagged and then bound with dirty ropes...

Jul 01 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This is an interesting question. I have read in certain model profiles that models are turned off by "over-40 creepy guys with cameras". I am 42 yrs old. I look a little like a cross between a serial killer and a prison inmate. But, I'm passionate about photography, I have a great smile, I'm just a gentle, big, teddy bear.

My question is this; does my age and appearance make me one of those "creepazoids", or does someone have to go through the formality of actually getting to know me before I'm thrown into the "creep-heap"?

Jul 01 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

tell the model, you are the love doctor,
keep one hand in your crotch at all time
make sure your gold teeth are really shiny.

that makes any model feel welcome.

Jul 01 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Young Photography

Richard Wheelock wrote:

Some of the stereo-typed creepo photographer stems from television...

The mysterious stalker has been studying and photographing his prey. Law enforcement enters the apartment of the stalker/rapist where they find photographs of recent victims covering the walls like a shrine; smeared with lipstick. Negatives hang from the shower curtain bar, in the make-shift darkroom. As they traverse down the dark stairway to the basement, they hear the moans of a young model that’s been gagged and then bound with dirty ropes...

When in all reality the "stalker" and setting you just decribed is nothing but an innocent fetish shoot.  The REAL crime has just occurred next door where the unsuspecting wife in thas just poisoned her husband for insurance money.

Jul 01 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Young Photography

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
tell the model, you are the love doctor,
keep one hand in your crotch at all time
make sure you gold teeth are really shiny.

that makes any model feel welcome.

I love that!!!! I gotta try it at least once!

Jul 01 06 10:42 pm Link

Model

angela camp

Los Angeles, California, US

The funny thing is that most real "creeps" don't look or act like "creeps" initially, in fact they seem exceptionally normal. 

I try not to judge a book by its cover. 

Some of the most interesting people I know also happen to be unconventional in their appearance and behavior.

Jul 01 06 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

It's been my observation that former daycare children, who've been told not to talk to strangers, when they were kids in the 80's & early 90's. They seem to be the ones who are frightened of damn near everything....until their mommies say it’s ok first.

Some of the most interesting people I’ve worked with were playing baseball during WWII. The women who played for the Rockford Peaches, All American Girls Professional Baseball League were amazing & not frightened of anything.

It seems that most people are happy to live in a constant state of fear. Whether it's because they're "Told" there's a stranger at every turn just waiting to take advantage of them or whether it's the current decider, spining propaganda into fear. Fear is obviously a huge business these days, only for those who can't or refuse to think for themselves however.

Bottomline is people need to stop living in fear & learn to question those they're interested in working with...use the intuition, common sense & then try living life without fear.

Jul 02 06 02:08 am Link

Model

Asha

i was always told it's better to be safe than sorry    O:-)

Jul 02 06 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I just assume everyone is a creep.

Jul 02 06 02:57 am Link

Model

Asha

one more thing...not gonna lie, photographers with mediocre ports who leave comments like "you're so hot" just seem kinda creepy...when photographers have amazing ports and leave the same comments they are somehow less creepy!

Jul 02 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Ron Young Photography

Bearz Images wrote:
It's been my observation that former daycare children, who've been told not to talk to strangers, when they were kids in the 80's & early 90's. They seem to be the ones who are frightened of damn near everything....until their mommies say it’s ok first.

Some of the most interesting people I’ve worked with were playing baseball during WWII. The women who played for the Rockford Peaches, All American Girls Professional Baseball League were amazing & not frightened of anything.

It seems that most people are happy to live in a constant state of fear. Whether it's because they're "Told" there's a stranger at every turn just waiting to take advantage of them or whether it's the current decider, spining propaganda into fear. Fear is obviously a huge business these days, only for those who can't or refuse to think for themselves however.

Bottomline is people need to stop living in fear & learn to question those they're interested in working with...use the intuition, common sense & then try living life without fear.

Very well put.

Jul 02 06 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

Dang ... I just realized I might be creepy: I'm over 40, I don't think or know I'm creepy therefore....

I thought not getting models to work with me was just because I live in the middle of nowhere Utah. Guess I better work on the creep thing and no more "dang your hot comments" whats  a guy with 4 cameras and new sheets from Wally's to do.

With so much to learn and overcome I think I should just go back to photographing critters ... they don't even care if I take a shower everyday.

Jul 02 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Asha wrote:
one more thing...not gonna lie, photographers with mediocre ports who leave comments like "you're so hot" just seem kinda creepy...when photographers have amazing ports and leave the same comments they are somehow less creepy!

Well put. Please look at my port. I'm new at this, but tell me what you think. I will look at your port.

Let me know if you think I'm creepy.

Jul 02 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

It's hard to get creepy with my staff running around.

Mike

Jul 02 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Is it possible the creep factor is a result of the tendency for photographers to have this artistic "brooding" thing going on, kinda sulking behind the lens coupled with a maybe voyeuristic sort of feel?

I think had that tendency not been beaten out of me, I would be that type of person when shooting.  In my training days, my slave master boss indoctrinated me with the concept that interacting with the subject was crucial to a good shoot as far as results.  Sulking, brooding, and "creeping around" would only weird them out and you'd get a lot of crappy shots.  Moreover the way this business operated, the client could walk away and not buy anything.  So making sure the experience was positive and rewarding was pretty much the centerpiece of their operation.

So we were told to be light and fun, have music playing, laugh, shoot, joke, shoot, smile, shoot, talk talk talk talk, shoot.  It drove me nuts at first.  I had a hard enough time figuring out how to turn the damned thing on let alone keep a lively running conversation in progress.  But I've always been praised on how fun it is to work with me and that I made it easy. 

So models, is that the issue?

Jul 02 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

That Look Photo wrote:
It's hard to get creepy with my staff running around.

Mike

I thought having your staff visible was one of those things that moved you into the creepy column ... now I'm really confused.

Jul 02 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Robert Sanders

Los Angeles, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
I just assume everyone is a creep.

Works for me!

(wink wink nudge nudge)

Jul 02 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Don't forget, there are creepy models, too. There are models with abandonment issues. There are models that have low self esteem. There are models that couldn't give a courtesy call to cancel a shoot if their life depended on it. There are models that can't stop answering their cell phones during a shoot. Some of them are on mood-stabilizing-medication. Just because they won the "genetic lottery", and were born beautiful, doesn't mean that they can't be just as creepy as an over 40 guy with a hairy back and a camera.

Jul 02 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

if it is creepy, insane, and wicked, that's my place / person, to dwell with.

recently I've been hanging around with mental illness folks, and I simply adore it.

The fact that some of us accept being "ill" in our heads, and don't care about other people knowing about it, and seeing our deviations, can lead to some very interesting talk and produce some really intense works.

Always expect the worse and bee ready for it.

Jul 02 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Image K wrote:
Don't forget, there are creepy models, too. There are models with abandonment issues. There are models that have low self esteem. There are models that couldn't give a courtesy call to cancel a shoot if their life depended on it. There are models that can't stop answering their cell phones during a shoot. Some of them are on mood-stabilizing-medication. Just because they won the "genetic lottery", and were born beautiful, doesn't mean that they can't be just as creepy as an over 40 guy with a hairy back and a camera.

You're confusing "creepy" with "annoying".

Jul 02 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:

You're confusing "creepy" with "annoying".

I stand corrected, my friend. But, have I made my point?

Jul 02 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Asha wrote:
one more thing...not gonna lie, photographers with mediocre ports who leave comments like "you're so hot" just seem kinda creepy...

I wouldn't say they're creepy... just kinda not smart smile

Jul 02 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Bill Bates wrote:
Dang ... I just realized I might be creepy: I'm over 40, I don't think or know I'm creepy therefore....

I thought not getting models to work with me was just because I live in the middle of nowhere Utah. Guess I better work on the creep thing and no more "dang your hot comments" whats  a guy with 4 cameras and new sheets from Wally's to do.

With so much to learn and overcome I think I should just go back to photographing critters ... they don't even care if I take a shower everyday.

Bill, if you got creepy, I suspect Wanda would knock the tar out of you! :-)

(I know my Wanda would knock the tar out of me!)

Jul 02 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

my wife & kids don't think I'm creepy...

Jul 02 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

Jim Ball wrote:
Bill, if you got creepy, I suspect Wanda would knock the tar out of you! :-)

(I know my Wanda would knock the tar out of me!)

Nope, don't think Wanda has ever thought of me as creepy .... more often she accuses me of being an insensitive a$$ hole. Its a wonder she puts up with me and my ideas.

Here are two shots from yesterday evening. She had to swim naked across a trout pond with mega big fish ... she was totally creeped out as this photo shows.

https://www.pbase.com/image/62779111.jpg

to get where I could take this image and she was still pretty nervous

https://www.pbase.com/image/62779477/original.jpg

Jul 02 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Bill Bates wrote:
Here are two shots from yesterday evening. She had to swim naked across a trout pond with mega big fish ... she was totally creeped out as this photo shows.

to get where I could take this image and she was still pretty nervous

thats a trooper of a model. In the dryness of Vegas I looong for water like that.

Jul 02 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
thats a trooper of a model. In the dryness of Vegas I looong for water like that.

I love the look on her face in the first shot! :-)

The second image is beautiful.  She is truely your Muse.  (oops! intended for Bill)

Jul 02 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Ron Young Photography

Isn't it funny how of all the posts to this string only a couple of models have comments?

And you know what gets me?  The female photographers that contact models and the first thing they say is "I'm a female photographer".  What is the assumption?  I would think that the quality of your work would be more important to a model than what's between your legs.  Unless of course the MODEL is the creepy one.

Jul 02 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Isn't it funny how of all the posts to this string only a couple of models have comments?

they're probably creeped out by the thread.

Jul 02 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Young Photography

KM von Seidl wrote:

they're probably creeped out by the thread.

They're creeped out by the word "creep".  No one wants to touch that one (no pun intended).

Jul 02 06 03:33 pm Link