Forums > General Industry > Is there anything original left?

Photographer

The Things Ive Seen

Leadville, Colorado, US

If I wanted to be inspired by seeing something I have never seen before, where would I have to look. Who is doing something in photography that is totally and completely unique? Is it still possible?
For me at certain stages of my photography it was Kimberly Gremillion, Connie Imboden, Anton Corbijn, Arno Rafael Minkkenin. The people were pioneers to me when I first saw their work. Naturally they have their inspirations as well.
Who knows someone who is doing something extraordinary and original?

Jul 01 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Anything really original usually gets ignored until someone famous/wealthy/influential enough convinces people that it's good.  There's lots of originality out there, but you and I will never see it until it's all over with.

Jul 01 06 06:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

G_Makeup

New York, New York, US

https://photographersportfolio.com/currentbook/IMAGES/jane_0001.jpg

he does some orginal stuff, at least when he first does lots of it it is so long as it lasts.

G

Jul 01 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Originality died out 20,000 years ago.  Or something.  I dunno.

NBC told me that if I haven't seen it already, it's new to me.  Should I believe them?

Jul 01 06 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Take a look at www.e-z-smith.com . Ernie is a friend of mine and an interesting outsider artist/photographer. "Nudes Without Dignity" is a good starting point.

Jul 01 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

this thread has been started before

Jul 01 06 11:47 pm Link

Model

Aeon Elysian

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

Star wrote:
this thread has been started before

LOL

Jul 01 06 11:50 pm Link

Model

Aeon Elysian

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

There are VERY many photo concepts that haven't been covered yet, we just have yet to discover them

Jul 01 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

To be inspired outside of photography then:

Read a book
Look at paintings
Watch people on the street
Take drugs
Look at history and reinterprit it
Take your dreams and bring themm to life
Barf on some paper

That my 2 cents and I am sticking with them...

-S

Jul 01 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

glitterguru

Valencia, California, US

Try to change a current idea, think out of the box..take something generic and make it original...I think that there are many orginal ideas out there left to find...there just getting harder to think of...

Try to make images that go to a set of key words....use techniques that writers or other kinds of visual artists use for inspiration..

Also look at other mediums of art and try to interpret that into your medium...it's endless....

best of luck,
GG

Jul 01 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

Glitterguru is the best and most original photographer I've seen on MM so far. If there's someone better, I'd like to see them.

Jul 02 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

The Things Ive Seen

Leadville, Colorado, US

Class Act Photography wrote:
Glitterguru is the best and most original photographer I've seen on MM so far. If there's someone better, I'd like to see them.

with all due respect to glitterguru, it is not my style. I would however like to offer up two names who I think are highly unique to MM in my opinion. Velvet Scars and Josh Newman are brilliant.

Jul 02 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

Shoot what you see.

Shoot what you feel.

If you do it with emotion, it is original.

I like to think that while there is stuff in my portfolio that has been "done before"  it still says "Yani was here" .

I am original, delusional or somewhere in between.  Just a matter of perception....

Jul 02 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

J T Smith

Pittsfield, Illinois, US

The Things Ive Seen wrote:
Who knows someone who is doing something extraordinary and original?

There might be something extraordinary but there is nothing original. It's all been done before.

J T

Jul 02 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

JamesRock

Portland, Oregon, US

Everything has been done. There's nothing new under the sun....if you want to see it that way. Otherwise, it's vast and it's infinite. My suggestion, to get outside of your own head, is to WORK it out. Change your methodology, subject matter, lighting, etc. I once heard someone suggest shooting a couple hundred pictures without looking through the viewfinder...throwaways probably, but you might find a new way of looking, derived from something you yourself have done.

Personally, I think it's a huge trap to focus on the "it's already been done" complaint. So much ground-breaking work in the arts comes not out of the BIG IDEA, but out of subtle riffs inside of established genre, sometimes simple, sometimes complex... that's all for now folks.

Jul 02 06 12:25 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Although I do mostly glamour... I always try to be different with my photos.. but everything is inspired by something.

Jul 02 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

N.O.I.D.

No Original Ideas under the sun.

Jul 02 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

The Things Ive Seen

Leadville, Colorado, US

jtsmith wrote:

There might be something extraordinary but there is nothing original. It's all been done before.

J T

My ambitions far exceeds my abilities.
You won't see it yet by looking at my portfolio, but my intention is to show the world that their is still something extraordinary AND original. It is a lofty goal and one I realize more and more every day that I likely will die before it is accomplished but I keep striving. I have a very very very long way to go. I'm still learning how to get a camera to take what I imagine. I cannot imagine that others know better what I imagine enough to have done it already, Therefore I still have hope.
Really, just when you think you have seen everything...

Jul 02 06 12:28 am Link

Model

Aeon Elysian

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

G_Makeup wrote:
https://photographersportfolio.com/currentbook/IMAGES/jane_0001.jpg

he does some orginal stuff, at least when he first does lots of it it is so long as it lasts.

G

https://www.lab404.com/misc/zoolander.jpg

Jul 02 06 12:30 am Link