Forums > General Industry > Models personal websites

Model

msindpnt1

New York, New York, US

I have given some serious thought to getting my own site, mainly because my friend is going to do it for free.  I was wondering what advantage if any a models own personal site has given to them.

Jun 30 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

msindpnt1

New York, New York, US

waiting patiently. wondering how you get people to respond to thesethings???

Jun 30 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If it's for free why not?   Isn't it easier to just say "For additional information and references visit www.yourname.com"?  Instead of saying.. "Go to onemodelalsd.com and type in 828394" or having those god aweful myspace sites?

It's easier to update information like e-mail or schedules on one place and have everyone reference it rather than sending them all over the internet.

Just my 2-bits Canadian... 1.8-bits US

-PKD

Jun 30 06 10:47 pm Link

Model

msindpnt1

New York, New York, US

Thank you so much.  And it is totally so much easier.  I've gone to shoots and in the begining i couldnt even remember my mayhem number.  Then when i did have to start making people reference mayhem that werent on here, i just knew it was too much...haha.  Thanks again.

Jun 30 06 10:52 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

I've been wondering about this as well. What I'd like to know is whether or not it's an effective marketing tool and in what cases.

Jun 30 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'd say if you're looking to make money as a model, it's a good idea to have business cards, and it's probably better to have [email protected] on there, rather than your phone number.

Jun 30 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
I've been wondering about this as well. What I'd like to know is whether or not it's an effective marketing tool and in what cases.

C'mon now, get objective, and put some thought into an answer. I'll check back. smile

Edit:  You too Ma-Shyrra smile smile

Jun 30 06 11:06 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Buying a domain name was one of the first things I did.
With so many modeling sites out no one can keep track of who has what number on what site.

It also makes you very easy to find if done right.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … =iona+lynn

It also helps give you a better argument on the "I couldn't contact you to give you  a message, cd, prints, paycheck, job, rabies"

If a photogrpoher is thinking about two diffrent models and can't find one of them to hire her then guess who gets the job.

My buisness cards have my email website and phone number

Jun 30 06 11:16 pm Link

Model

msindpnt1

New York, New York, US

i know this isnt the topic of the forum, but where do you all get comp cards or buisness cards printed at?

Jun 30 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Iona Lynn wrote:
Buying a domain name was one of the first things I did.
With so many modeling sites out no one can keep track of who has what number on what site.

It also makes you very easy to find if done right.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … =iona+lynn

It also helps give you a better argument on the "I couldn't contact you to give you  a message, cd, prints, paycheck, job, rabies"

If a photogrpoher is thinking about two diffrent models and can't find one of them to hire her then guess who gets the job.

My buisness cards have my email website and phone number

Dammit!  I thought I was the only one who offered rabies!  Back to the drawing board...

Jun 30 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Twisted Light

Miami, Florida, US

A website is probably one of the best advertising tools available. Your effect market can grow if your site is done well. If done poorly you can scare away people just as easy. Remember you wouldnt send your high school yearbook photo in for a casting call, why have a website that matches.

Jul 01 06 12:04 am Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

One of the best things about having your own web site, particularly one that is based on your own html, css and jpg files, is that is can be whatever you want it to be - it needn't conform to someone else's templates. For example, this allows me to integrate pages in Japanese and English, as well as have application forms for my study tours, and regularly changed sections on my current projects.

In my opinion, having my own website provides a central location on the internet for everything about me to link in. However, I have portfolios and academic profiles in various places, because it is useful and pleasurable to be part of sites such as MM.

https://www.solloway.demon.co.uk/web_images/akemi_avatar_1.jpg

Jul 01 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

rjcarroll

Linden, New Jersey, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

Rabies Ahahahahahaha

Jul 01 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Ma-Shyrra wrote:
i know this isnt the topic of the forum, but where do you all get comp cards or buisness cards printed at?

www.gotprint.com - excellent quality, very low prices. But you have to do ALL your own design work and to their specifications (which isn't a bad thing)

Jul 01 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Vilayna Lasalle

Ma-Shyrra wrote:
I have given some serious thought to getting my own site, mainly because my friend is going to do it for free.  I was wondering what advantage if any a models own personal site has given to them.

it truly helps, just be sure to have a site that represents you at a professional level!
I have one
http://www.vilaynaonline.com

Jul 01 06 12:46 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

just make sure the designer is good, website is compatible and most imppotantly you should be able to update it...thats why port sites like these rock...cause you just upload...you lazy you ( I mean me in fact ) big_smile

Jul 01 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Agreed, a free site? Sure do it. If the designer is using HTML as opposed to 'drag and drop' pages that are preset, then chances are good that he/she can teach you simple techniques for updating your own site. You can do it with the programs like Pagebuilder, Frontpage etc. but it won't look as professional as having someone that knows a bit about programming code it out for you. Then all you do is upload everything to the web host manager and viola!

Anyway, that's the way I do it and it's pretty simple. AND you get your own domain name...hopefully with your actual name. If (as a model) you ever get real famous, you will already own your own domain (with your name) as opposed to someone else starting one that you have no say over!

Feel free to check out mine: www.michaelkirst.com !

Jul 01 06 12:57 am Link

Model

Tanya Dakin

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

for one it's like having a digital port, that you control, endless images if you like, everything is digitale now, and are you gonna send your prospects here to see your work, and do they need to be a member to log in? that is a good reason to have a site, and you can mold your site to fit you. Updates and changes provide more control as well, Say good bye to Comp Cards..

www.stilltanya.com

PS , make sure it loads quickly too. no one wants to wait for slow images to upload.

Jul 04 06 11:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

i am a make-up artist, but i would imagine it would work similarly for a model.

my page is very simple and easy to navigate (http://rachel-rose.com).

my images scroll and are all uniform in height, there are clear links to my resume, bio and contact information. if i had agency representation i would put the agency contact information on there under the contact information. as much as i am addicted to this site, i would NEVER send a client to MM (or OMP, Perfect Pose, MP, whatever) to see my work...

Just keep it clean and easy to navigate, not too many knobs and whistles, if it is strictly a portfolio site. if it is going to be more like a personal/fan/webglam site, then different rules apply obviously.

Jul 05 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

Holy smokes! That means I have to check my vaccinations. I haven't had rabies shots for a while.

Jul 06 06 12:55 am Link

Model

xucbyzvwer

::sorry, double post::

Jul 06 06 09:48 pm Link

Model

xucbyzvwer

Christopher Ambler wrote:

www.gotprint.com - excellent quality, very low prices. But you have to do ALL your own design work and to their specifications (which isn't a bad thing)

I couldn't find out on their site, where you could upload images to print out Headshots / Composite Cards. I just today did some research and price comparisons of places to reprint these things.
Website                    100 Color Headshots (100 Color 2-sided zed cards)
spotlightprinting.net      $79.00   (79)
ggphotoscan.com     $89.00  (125)
mimosadigital.com    $110.00
christineaustin.com    $145.00
compcard.com           $149.00 (130)
northernartists.com    $150.00

I cannot vouch for any of these services, since I haven't used any of them, but as you can see there is a wide variety of pricing. I think I am going to try spotlight on my  next printing and see how they turn out.

I most recently used thecolorgroup.com where I paid $1/EA for my comp cards. I bought a smaller quantity, because of that, but the quality was fantastic! I designed my own cards, sent them to the shop and had them ready the next day. On short notice I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Also, check out my website: www.myifolio.com

Jul 06 06 09:49 pm Link