Forums > General Industry > What's so safe about a female photographer?

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

two stories about aggressive women. I was at the House of Blues at a concert. There was this woman in a striking red dress that came up to me and said "can I stay with you through the concert, the lesbians are trying to pick me up"

Same story at a party.

I am the official rescuer of straight women  from the EVIL BCG killer vampire dykes.
Back, back I say.

Jun 30 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Jun 30 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

QM Photography

Manassas, Virginia, US

Mistress Purgatori wrote:
...there aren't enough female photogs at least not in the md/d.c./va area.

Yeah, but that means less competition for me. :-P

Jun 30 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

I think women feel less threatened.

Statistically, they are less likely to be assaulted, or killed, or raped by a female. That's not to say it wont happen.

Jun 30 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
two stories about aggressive women. I was at the House of Blues at a concert. There was this woman in a striking red dress that came up to me and said "can I stay with you through the concert, the lesbians are trying to pick me up"

Same story at a party.

I am the official rescuer of straight women  for the EVIL BCG killer vampire dykes.
Back, back I say.

Nah.

I think it was your manly scent and allure, and the evil lesbian line was just their ploy at seducing you.....

Jun 30 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I don't think they would be any safer than a male. Many internet models seem to think all photographers a rapists. Those types don't seem to last long.

Aaron

Jun 30 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
I think it was your manly scent and allure, and the evil lesbian line was just their ploy at seducing you.....

Bingo!!!! we are quite good at coming up with "reasons" to stay close to those we are attracted to.....

Jun 30 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Taboo Motel

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Dark Star Photography wrote:
And what straight man is going to complain if he is fondled by a female photographer, as long as she is reasonably attractive and smells good??  Isn't that one of the perks of being a male model?

Come on Dark Star...you have got to be out of your mind if you think that any straight male will let just any female fondle him....photographer or not. Seems straight males have no class at all according to your way of thinking.

Jun 30 06 09:09 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I don't mind when another chick is telling me to arch my back and suck in my gut..i look at it like she's helping me lol..with a guy..i kind wish he hadn't noticed??

Jun 30 06 09:12 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Solomage wrote:

Come on Dark Star...you have got to be out of your mind if you think that any straight male will let just any female fondle him....photographer or not. Seems straight males have no class at all according to your way of thinking.

Most straight males DON'T have much class. And there is no bitterness behind that statement.. it's just true. An awful lot of females don't have much class either. I would wager that most of the truly serious artists on this site, however, do have some.

Jun 30 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Electra T wrote:
I don't mind when another chick is telling me to arch my back and suck in my gut..i look at it like she's helping me lol..with a guy..i kind wish he hadn't noticed??

OMG that is so funny.  And I expect true for a lot of models.

Jun 30 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Sian Louise wrote:
So why do people feel more safe with a woman?

Because statistically speaking a woman is vastly more likely to experience violence at the hands of a man than at the hands of a woman.

Also, the internet breeds unbelievable paranoia.

Take your pick.

Jun 30 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

"Lizzie Borden took an axe........

Jun 30 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Michael Longeneker wrote:
"Lizzie Borden took an axe........

I never knew Lizzie Borden was a female photographer.  She must have had a small portfolio.

Jun 30 06 11:25 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

I know the play...I believe that one was debunked...

Jul 01 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm allowed to touch the models...

Star

Jul 01 06 01:59 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

I agree with Sita Mae. Female-on-female violence does occur, of course, but with absolutely nowhere near the frequency of male-on-female - and when women do attack/kill other women, it seems like it's almost always because they're working as an accomplice to a man. A woman all by herself poses very, very little threat to another woman - say what you will about gender equality and making assumptions about women being the "nicer, gentler" sex, but this is supported by statistics.

I've just never experienced any kind of tension at all with a female photographer, no matter what her sexual orientation - it's just a different vibe with another woman. Like someone else mentioned, when another girl tells you to try certain poses, it really does feel like she's helping you out, being creative, etc., rather than just trying to get the best view of your tits/ass/whatever, even though a) I know, logically, that the men aren't necessarily doing that, either and b) she could, in fact, be doing it herself.

Besides, girls never come on to me...apparently I don't ping anyone's gaydar at all, even though the only reason I've never really done much with another woman is lack of opportunity (I'm shy). Damnit!

Jul 01 06 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Besides, girls never come on to me...apparently I don't ping anyone's gaydar at all, even though the only reason I've never really done much with another woman is lack of opportunity (I'm shy). Damnit!

"ping anyone's gaydar" is fabulous slangage!

Jul 01 06 02:45 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

Nah.

hey, I am too hot. You can sense it from Cali.

Jul 01 06 02:51 am Link

Model

NoLOngerHeree

New York, New York, US

I just skimmed through this so excuse me if this has already been said
but for me personally i prefer a woman because the idea of a women seems safer.
Despite stories of some women doing crazy things,the majority of women are not
as agressive which makes them alot less of a threat to me.

Jul 01 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

S1studio

Union City, California, US

I'm a New Female Photographer on Model Mayhem. I have been told by my female models that they feel more comfortable with a female photographer.
One thing, male photographers tend to touch a lot when trying to pose models.
I barely ever touch my models.

Jul 01 06 03:19 am Link

Model

Jane Weiss

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Sian Louise wrote:
having to go to court to defend mt decision to not sleep with someone because they were threatening to get me sacked.

i did name my fear there is a typo in there that ihaven't corrected - mt instead of my.

people missed it. it goes for men and women. the reason i mentioned sexuality is some people get confussed real easy they're like huh why would a woman hit on another woman. i also couldnt remember the names of the model involved but i know the company was BHS and i thought the story might have triggered some memories.

Jul 01 06 03:29 am Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

e-string wrote:
I have never worked with a female photographer.. at least not that I can remember. lol

I definitely wouldn't mind though. I'd let her hit on me too. It's cheating if I return the advances of a male photographer.. but not a female! wink

Spoken like a true internet model.

Jul 01 06 03:29 am Link

Model

Jane Weiss

FabioTovar wrote:

Spoken like a true internet model.

you arent allowed to say that! wink

Jul 01 06 03:30 am Link

Photographer

S1studio

Union City, California, US

I learned from other professional photographers to have pre-shoot meetings. I do that too now. I have to get to know the model and vice versa. I am a young photographer, and I feel just as scared as a model. After pre-shoot meetings, I have many times rejected the model for shoot, even though she was paying me.
I think it's very important to get to know who you are working with, and for models especially.

Jul 01 06 03:36 am Link

Model

Jane Weiss

i would agree with this. and also do please girls check references... sometimes i think a persons work speaks for itself and then i remember this is the damn internet it could easily be lifted from someone elses portfolio. and another thing i claim to be an 18 year old girl (which i am) but it would be just as easy for me to claim to be a 40 year old man... all i'd have to do was become a photographer instead of a  model and use my own images... lift a few here and there and no one would know so long as i wasn't too active in the forums. its an internet thing, its creepy but that new red hoodie movement from the mad kerazy hard candy film has made me paranoid.

Jul 01 06 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

*shrug*
people are either comfortable with me as a person, or they are not. people are either comfortable with male photographers, or they are not. i've met really wonderful guys in this business, and i've met some real lowlife jerks. i haven't yet met a lowlife jerk female photographer, and it's not because i don't think they exist, but rather because we are fewer, and farther between.

as for me personally:

-i could barely arm-wrestle my way out of a paper bag.
-i cry when bugs hit the insect zapper
-i'm too busy trying to create something than to care whether my model is clothed or not.
-if i want to touch nips, i have my own.
-i pay attention to the little things, like whether a certain pose makes an unattractive crease in the model's chin/side/liver, which they tell me statistically men do not notice.
-i want this too badly to screw it up by trying to coerce one random girl out of the thousands in my area to sleep with me. if i wanted to just pick up chicks to date, i'd go to the mall. or mack it on female photographers.
-i AM an axe murderer, bu see the above line for why i would not axe murder models.

Jul 01 06 07:41 am Link

Model

AuLa

West Hollywood, California, US

I'd rather face 120lbs of hair pulling and fingernail clawing rather than 200lbs of dead weight and broken limbs and a day off from work to take a trip to the abortion clinic.

Jul 01 06 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Ceehawk Multimedia

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

e-string wrote:
I have never worked with a female photographer.. at least not that I can remember. lol

I definitely wouldn't mind though. I'd let her hit on me too. It's cheating if I return the advances of a male photographer.. but not a female! wink

HUH!?!?!  Cheating is cheating.

Jul 01 06 08:02 am Link

Model

Jane Weiss

Ceehawk Multimedia wrote:

HUH!?!?!  Cheating is cheating.

hey man they have rules did you miss the memo... i said that and got a rather cheeky responce.

Jul 01 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

g/g stuff isnt cheating, its a bonus.

Jul 01 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:
g/g stuff isnt cheating, its a bonus.

Eating ain't cheating!

Jul 01 06 09:25 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Dude, seriously. I want to say "cheating is cheating" and rant about the marginalisation of lesbianism, the idea that oh, of course it's okay for a woman to sleep with other women, because guys think it's hot and non-threatening - but practically every guy I've ever been with has said the same thing, that they'd be totally cool with me wanting to fool around with other girls, but if they catch me with another man, it's over. Then again, I am the same way myself - I have no problem with the idea of a guy I'm dating messing around with other guys, as long as he's careful. Mmmm...

(Funnily enough, I tend to be seen as being a total perv for thinking two guys together is hot, even though it's taken as a given that all men like the lesbian action. Fascinating, hmm?)

Jul 01 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Sian Louise wrote:
i would agree with this. and also do please girls check references... sometimes i think a persons work speaks for itself and then i remember this is the damn internet it could easily be lifted from someone elses portfolio. and another thing i claim to be an 18 year old girl (which i am) but it would be just as easy for me to claim to be a 40 year old man... all i'd have to do was become a photographer instead of a  model and use my own images... lift a few here and there and no one would know so long as i wasn't too active in the forums. its an internet thing, its creepy but that new red hoodie movement from the mad kerazy hard candy film has made me paranoid.

When you see someone you want to reply to, there is a little button on the right hand corner of the screen which says "quote."  Learn to use it if you want anyone to understand who the hell you're having a conversation with! Otherwise, it just appears you're babbling to the universe and unfortunately most of this thread I don't really know what you're talking about!

Jul 01 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Treagen

Detroit, Michigan, US

samanthajean wrote:
I just skimmed through this so excuse me if this has already been said
but for me personally i prefer a woman because the idea of a women seems safer.
Despite stories of some women doing crazy things,the majority of women are not
as agressive which makes them alot less of a threat to me.

if you feel any threat at any shoot your dealing with the wrong folks. male or female.

1. doing pro work there should be (a) stylist on hand. There's never a pro shoot where it's 1 on 1, I NEVER seen it in all my years. Not 1 time.

2. what is the threat?? what kind of job would u ever accept that could have a possible threat? Bondage?

Jul 01 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Catriona wrote:
Dude, seriously. I want to say "cheating is cheating" and rant about the marginalisation of lesbianism, the idea that oh, of course it's okay for a woman to sleep with other women, because guys think it's hot and non-threatening - but practically every guy I've ever been with has said the same thing, that they'd be totally cool with me wanting to fool around with other girls, but if they catch me with another man, it's over. Then again, I am the same way myself - I have no problem with the idea of a guy I'm dating messing around with other guys, as long as he's careful. Mmmm...

(Funnily enough, I tend to be seen as being a total perv for thinking two guys together is hot, even though it's taken as a given that all men like the lesbian action. Fascinating, hmm?)

Its never been symmetrical.  Men and women both tend to think two women are hot and two men are not.  Its asymmetrical.

Jul 01 06 10:56 am Link