Forums > General Industry > Old Question. New answers?

Photographer

Ron Blouch

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

A friend of mine was selling clothing at a biker rally and a person took a photo of her with a biker (candid shot) A year later this photo shows up in a biker magazine without her permission. She never signed a release.
What she wanted to know was can they do this without her permission?
I know, I know talk to a lawyer. This is not that serious so I said I would ask the question on here.

Jun 30 06 06:54 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Ron Blouch wrote:
A friend of mine was selling clothing at a biker rally and a person took a photo of her with a biker (candid shot) A year later this photo shows up in a biker magazine without her permission. She never signed a release.
What she wanted to know was can they do this without her permission?
I know, I know talk to a lawyer. This is not that serious so I said I would ask the question on here.

Having shot for smiliar types of magazines.....it all depends on what content it's for which it is used......

If it appeared as part of a commercial advertisement.....she can sue!

If it appeared as part of a ligitimate news story or public interest type....not much she can do except ask for a copy......if she was selling clothes at a event open to the public....even a small part of the public such a biker clubs....she is open to editorial photography......

Jun 30 06 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Ron Blouch

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Thank you for the reply. Makes sense to me.

Jun 30 06 08:46 am Link