Forums > General Industry > Self injury and being a model...

Model

Lauren Crucifix

Lynnwood, Washington, US

I'm a cutter. I have been for 7 years... How many of you object to me being a model just souly on this reason? How many of you think i can bennifit from it? I'm a fetish/goth model and thats a plus but in general. Do any of you cut? I have scars on my sides of my stomache, the insides of my thighs and my forearms.

Jun 29 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Uh...... I'm very open minded but photos of actual mutilated kids goes waaaaaaaaaay too far. I wouldn't mind scars but no sane person would photograph an underage cutter. Do your parents know you cut?

Jun 29 06 10:24 pm Link

Model

Lauren Crucifix

Lynnwood, Washington, US

of course they know. and i'm not a kid. And i know quite a few people who are models that cut.

Jun 29 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I know I should be openminded and compassionate and stuff, but

*puke*

People who cut need psychological therapy, not bondage/modelling therapy.

Jun 29 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

therapy?

Jun 29 06 10:28 pm Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

Not to offend, but I can't get over how openly you throw it out there. 

I remember when cutting wasn't cool....ehh, maybe I'm just getting too old.

Jun 29 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

P.S. who in their right mind would photograph a "FETISH" model who is underage, and what kind of parents would be willing to accompany you to a fetish shoot?

Jun 29 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

well your sure as hell on the edge, i wish you luck, but some one shooting you underage  in self injury , fetish or bondage genre needs serious mental help, parents or no parents, jail time awaits.

Jun 29 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

What's wrong with kids today?

Jun 29 06 10:51 pm Link

Model

na52

I knew a few people that were cutters in high school.. but they cut themselves because they felt it was the only thing they could control..so having people know about it and being able to say things about it meant they weren't in control anymore.. same with some of the girls that I danced with having eating disorders..they weren't like "omg...hold on..I have to go puke so I'll look good on stage.." they STILL won't admit it!... so I don't understand.. not saying anything bad about YOU..  but what is your reason for it if you are so open about it?

Jun 29 06 10:52 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Venomiss LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

While I wouldn't have a problem with you being a model for other people (thats none of my business), I personally would never use you in a shoot or a show. To me, that would be like hiring an untreated and openly anorexic or bulemic model. I do not want to be responsible for putting an image out there that could possibly trigger or encourage other young women to self-injure, in whatever form it may come.
I'm not going to judge why you cut, because I do not know you, but it's been my experience that many women who cut do so because of low self-esteem and a feeling of powerlessness. If you have significant problems with your self-worth, will power, or body image, modeling is probably not right for you. If that doesn't describe you then disregard, and best of luck.

PS: your profile says you are an Ex cutter. Is that the case? I ask because this thread makes it sound like you currently self-injure, and it makes a difference in the impression you leave (atleast to me).

Jun 29 06 10:57 pm Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

She said EX cutter.

Maybe she is so open about it because she has dealt with her issues....
the girls you said had eating disorders and STILL wont admit it....is probably because they still haven't dealt with it and faced their problems.

*edit. in her profile it says ex cutter....*

Jun 29 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

When a peson relizes they might be insane, Sometimes they yell for help, sometimes they scream so loud it will break the eardrums of people around them.
so in the end they still never get the help they need.

It takes a very strong person to admit to possible insanity
and an even stronger person to pull them out of it.

I have photographed many scarred people and photographed the scars them selves. If you can find work then no problem, it is just a very small market.

Jun 29 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Hmmmmm sooo much to say but alls info does not need to be put on the internet....**sits back down**

Jun 29 06 11:01 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Venomiss LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Cristina Ashley wrote:
She said EX cutter.

I noticed that, too, once I clicked her profile... That definitely makes a difference, I think. If she has dealt with it that negates any issue for me.

Jun 29 06 11:07 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Tiara LeAnne wrote:
I knew a few people that were cutters in high school.. but they cut themselves because they felt it was the only thing they could control..so having people know about it and being able to say things about it meant they weren't in control anymore.. same with some of the girls that I danced with having eating disorders..they weren't like "omg...hold on..I have to go puke so I'll look good on stage.." they STILL won't admit it!... so I don't understand.. not saying anything bad about YOU..  but what is your reason for it if you are so open about it?

so what are you saying she should just be quite and keep cutting herself....what if someone on this site says something that can opern her mind further to seek help and get an understanding as to why she is doing it...her being open is a brave thing....

I would say seek help fast...get some one, a counselor, not a psychiatrist, that can help you with this problem....talking to a conselor is like talking to a friend who has more medical knowledge and personal understanding as to why you react this way...and most times wnt prescribe you with any crazy drug unless they see fit....

but dont sit there and keep doing thiss...cutting is the only thing that you control but it will have lasting effects with scars you will have to look at and remind yourself of what you have done weeks ago, its a sad thing to have to look at on your body...soo please sweety get some help...message me if you have any more concerns

Jun 29 06 11:09 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Queen of Pain wrote:
I'm a cutter. I have been for 7 years... How many of you object to me being a model just souly on this reason? How many of you think i can bennifit from it? I'm a fetish/goth model and thats a plus but in general. Do any of you cut? I have scars on my sides of my stomache, the insides of my thighs and my forearms.

Don't let these people discourage you.  I used to have this problem, but was over it about three or four years ago.  I have scars and a lot of times, people don't even notice.
If you're going to photoshoots with fresh wounds [or think you may be], make sure the photographers know!  Some people are into that. 

Good luck!

Jun 29 06 11:10 pm Link

Model

na52

Cristina Ashley wrote:
She said EX cutter.

Maybe she is so open about it because she has dealt with her issues....
the girls you said had eating disorders and STILL wont admit it....is probably because they still haven't dealt with it and faced their problems.

*edit. in her profile it says ex cutter....*

not everyone updates their profile all the time.. this is obviously new and she doesn't say "ex" here so maybe she hasn't "dealt" with them...

and why such a deffensive reply to what I wrote? I clearly said I was not saying anything bad about her..just wanting to understand her side more since I have seen these things in others..

Jun 29 06 11:11 pm Link

Model

na52

CristinaLex wrote:

so what are you saying she should just be quite and keep cutting herself....what if someone on this site says something that can opern her mind further to seek help and get an understanding as to why she is doing it...her being open is a brave thing....

I would say seek help fast...get some one, a counselor, not a psychiatrist, that can help you with this problem....talking to a conselor is like talking to a friend who has more medical knowledge and personal understanding as to why you react this way...and most times wnt prescribe you with any crazy drug unless they see fit....

but dont sit there and keep doing thiss...cutting is the only thing that you control but it will have lasting effects with scars you will have to look at and remind yourself of what you have done weeks ago, its a sad thing to have to look at on your body...soo please sweety get some help...message me if you have any more concerns

wow.. did I say she should do that?

Jun 29 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Anthony

Vancouver, Washington, US

Queen of Pain wrote:

Hey Queen--
I dated someone who was anorexic and a cutter.  I know something about what you're going through.  Your profile says that you're 17, which means you've been cutting since 10.  A person who cuts themselves at 10 years old...well, that's not a healthy thing.  Some people cut just to feel the pain, to remind them that they are alive.  It's a way of dealing with emotional pain, or sometimes emotions so strong that you just feel numb.  Cutting makes you feel like you're back in control.

Ultimately, the cutting and the scars are not the real issue, but the underlying causes and pressures are the issue.  You need to deal with those things, and I hope you're getting help.  You're definitely not alone!  Too many teens do things to hurt themselves as a way of coping, and cutting in particular is something done by a lot of young women.

Now, as a model...scars and tattoos will limit the type of work a model gets.  You won't always be young, and styles change and that's important to keep in mind.  A model with no scars and no tattoos is always more flexible--you can always add what you need, even temporarily, but it's more difficult to take away something that's unwanted in a photo.  I certainly don't object to a woman with scars modeling, but long-term, it's hard to say how well that will work out for you.  Certainly if you're getting jobs now and making money, you're benefitting.  You need to look ahead though (which is very hard to do at 17!) and think about where you want to be in 5 or 10 years.  Seriously.  I know that's stressful, but the fact that you posted here tells me you're not totally happy with your life and are willing to consider making changes.

Anyway--consider getting some help to deal with life's stresses and pressures.  The cutting isn't the problem--it's the stuff that makes you cut-- that is the problem.

Mr. Anthony

Jun 29 06 11:22 pm Link

Model

Lauren Crucifix

Lynnwood, Washington, US

whoa okie. maybe i didn't explain to much.. sorry for that. heres my explanation.
i'm 17 and do not do NUDE. I correct myself by saying i'm GOING to be in the fetish/goth indestry. I have had help and i am an EX cutter. I know its a lot to swollow but i wanted to know anyone else out there that has this that thinks that their scars aren't a burden... thats all. i'm not trying to make it a popular thing. for god knows it's horrible... 7 years worth of scars is enough for me.

Jun 29 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Queen of Pain wrote:
whoa okie. maybe i didn't explain to much.. sorry for that. heres my explanation.
i'm 17 and do not do NUDE. I correct myself by saying i'm GOING to be in the fetish/goth indestry. I have had help and i am an EX cutter. I know its a lot to swollow but i wanted to know anyone else out there that has this that thinks that their scars aren't a burden... thats all. i'm not trying to make it a popular thing. for god knows it's horrible... 7 years worth of scars is enough for me.

Queeny... good job of moving forward.
Your cuts might be an issue for some photographers but so could be tattoo that you could have or simply your face.
The scars are not an issue if the model is a great model (skills) and that the model has features and versatile look that can be used in the planned picture.

So go for it. Train hard, be visually critical, and you'll get somewhere.

Jun 29 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

I am not a fetish shooter so may be a bad perspective but, I would never want to be even slightly responsible for encouraging something like cutting. I would shoot a model that had a history because history is not always current philosophy, but could never knowingly glorify any self-destructive behavior.

Jun 29 06 11:50 pm Link

Model

Lauren Crucifix

Lynnwood, Washington, US

thank you i apreciate that. and i know most people are disgusted by it but i am not regretful of my past.

Jun 29 06 11:51 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Queen of Pain wrote:
thank you i apreciate that. and i know most people are disgusted by it but i am not regretful of my past.

That's great!  :0).
I hope you read what I had to say.  It has never been a problem for me.

Jun 29 06 11:57 pm Link

Model

Lauren Crucifix

Lynnwood, Washington, US

i did. and i also have tattoos and no one has complained. i'm very glad to be where i am today.

Jun 30 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Mr Anthony

Queen of Pain wrote:

Whatever life throws at us, we have to make the best of.  You've been through a lot obviously, and I'm glad you're doing something with your life and setting some realistic goals for yourself.  Just remember that you're not alone, that there's people out there who will help you if you need it, and that life can be tough but we can get through it all.

Mr. Anthony

Jun 30 06 12:10 am Link

Model

Lauren Crucifix

Lynnwood, Washington, US

i've seen enough doctors and enough psychiatrists to tell me what to do with myself. I want people to look at a cutter more then just... "a cutter" theres more to us then everyone thinks.

Jun 30 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Mr Anthony

Queen of Pain wrote:
i've seen enough doctors and enough psychiatrists to tell me what to do with myself. I want people to look at a cutter more then just... "a cutter" theres more to us then everyone thinks.

Of course.  People have such depths and few people ever realize or see it in others.  It's too easy to use labels.  Sometimes the labels keep people from moving on.

Mr. Anthony

Jun 30 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

Scars don't bother me.  If you're a good model that's creative and knows how to move and pose, I'd shoot with you.

Jun 30 06 12:19 am Link

Model

Lauren Crucifix

Lynnwood, Washington, US

haha i'll be in cali next year so expect to see me....and my scars!

Jun 30 06 12:21 am Link

Model

na52

Queen of Pain wrote:

Do you mean..you want to know if it can be used as a real life/journalistic shoot?

yeah..i actually saw a post on here that asked specifically for people who do or have cut themselves (have self inflicted scars)..it was a while back so don't know if it would do you any good to find it

. . but I don't think it would help you to be marketing it because it is not in high demand.. I mean I'm sure everyone has some scars.. we've all had chicken pox..lol.. but remember that you are the model here.. don't make your scars the model.

Jun 30 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

temoc

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

I'd love to work with you, sadly I'm far away.

It takes courage to say this type of things in public and not freaking out by the negative response of people.

Jun 30 06 12:28 am Link

Model

BingeAndPurge

Mount Vernon, Washington, US

My self-injury scars are some of my favorite parts of my body.  Every time I look at them I'm reminded how hard (and rewarding) it was to work out my issues to the point where I no longer feel that I have to hurt myself just to have control over something.  They're my own personal cheerleaders.  "Hey, look!  You're strong!  You don't do this anymore!"  It's great.

That said, I'm very pale so my scars aren't noticeable unless you know where to look for them, and they're mostly on my legs, so they haven't been an issue as far as modeling goes.  I still get the urge to hurt myself when I get very stressed out or depressed, and that fact that a shoot may come up before they heal is one more reason to give myself as to why I shouldn't do it. 

But if your scars are that prominent that a photographer feels they "ruin" the image, I don't suppose they're THAT hard to photoshop out.  I have the most rudimentary PS skills ever, and even I was able to flawlessly edit out a band-aid.

Jun 30 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Tiara LeAnne wrote:
. but remember that you are the model here.. don't make your scars the model.

Nice words!

Jun 30 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

Queen of Pain wrote:
haha i'll be in cali next year so expect to see me....and my scars!

Give me a shout if you come close to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Jun 30 06 12:33 am Link

Model

Lauren Crucifix

Lynnwood, Washington, US

lightsandshadow wrote:
Give me a shout if you come close to the San Francisco Bay Area.

will do!

Jun 30 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Lauren Crucifix

Lynnwood, Washington, US

Tiara LeAnne wrote:
Do you mean..you want to know if it can be used as a real life/journalistic shoot?

. . but I don't think it would help you to be marketing it because it is not in high demand.. I mean I'm sure everyone has some scars.. we've all had chicken pox..lol.. but remember that you are the model here.. don't make your scars the model.

No i dont mean for a journalistic shoot. and i know i'm the model. the scars are only a part of me. thats what i'm trying to say. don't judge the scars judge the model. i apreciate your feedback. it's awesome.

Jun 30 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Queen of Pain wrote:
i'm not a kid.

Ummmmm... I hate to tell you this... but you are.  You're still a minor, whether you "feel" like one or not.  The fact that you're proud of your cutting (even using it as a "sales pitch") serves to demonstrate your lack of maturity.

I don't judge you because you were/are a cutter - I've worked with quite a few models who cut - I take issue with you using it as a "calling card".  People cut for a lot of different reasons.  Some start cutting as a result of the worst kinds of physical and emotional trauma.  It starts with real, palpable pain.

Jun 30 06 12:45 am Link

Model

na52

Queen of Pain wrote:

No i dont mean for a journalistic shoot. and i know i'm the model. the scars are only a part of me. thats what i'm trying to say. don't judge the scars judge the model. i apreciate your feedback. it's awesome.

No problem luv!  not journalistic huh.. I think I just figured out what you mean!.. maybe..
you mentioned "fetish/goth" styles.. if you are asking about the types of shoots were there is a girl in a bathtub full of blood and stuff like that I'd recommend contacting  photographers here that have these shots that way you know thats something they are interested in  & adding them to your favorites to keep track of them for future castings.

Good Luck babe

Jun 30 06 12:50 am Link