Forums > General Industry > What does it mean...

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

if someone tells you that you look "European"? I get this a lot and am curious if anyone knows what it means. There may not be a definitive answer but I thought I'd ask.

Jun 29 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

hmm ... well, i know that when i was living in Europe we could always tell, even without hearing them speak (accent), who the American girls were; something about their "look", the clothes they wore, etc. ...

FML

Jun 29 06 02:02 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

FML-Photography wrote:
hmm ... well, i know that when i was living in Europe we could always tell, even without hearing them speak (accent), who the American girls were; something about their "look", the clothes they wore, etc. ...

FML

O-kay. What did the European women wear or what was their "look"? Maybe I dress in that European fashion without realizing it. I know it's a difficult idea to put into words. I guess that's why I'm having such a hard time with it.

Jun 29 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Any one else know? Or have thoughts?

Jun 29 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Casey Photo

Gainesville, Florida, US

I would guess it means you have an eastern European look, like high cheekbones, narrow jawline, etc. that many of the models from the Czech Republic, Ukraine or Sweden seem to have.

Jun 29 06 02:59 pm Link

Model

S Styles

Coos Bay, Oregon, US

Ive got the European look comment ALSO

I went and looked at your photos and I agree with whomever else said it about you....
European girls look to me is the ones with the dark brown hair color like yours...and light colored eyes, with a soft olive skin color smile
mediterranean looking smile

Jun 29 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

vanWingo

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

Well, perhaps, exotic, lovely, picturesque, charming, exquisite, stylish, high fashion.

Jun 29 06 04:05 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Thank you everyone! All your responses are helping me "get" the European image. Thanks again!

Jun 29 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Constance Hilory wrote:
Any one else know? Or have thoughts?

european [adj] orig. of or relating to or characteristic of Europe or the people of Europe;
fashion photog. slang: 1. intelligent, sophisticated, smart, elegant, with depth and character, 2. long beaky nose; ant. bimbo, playboy bunny, a shallow person.

(Ok I just made it up)

Jun 29 06 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Hmm, were you sitting/squatting at the time?  Maybe they actually said, "You look like you're a-peein'..."

Jun 29 06 04:37 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Gregory Garecki wrote:

european [adj] orig. of or relating to or characteristic of Europe or the people of Europe;
fashion photog. slang: 1. intelligent, sophisticated, smart, elegant, with depth and character, 2. long beaky nose; ant. bimbo, playboy bunny, a shallow person.

(Ok I just made it up)

LOL! I just love the "long beaky nose" part! ;P

Jun 29 06 04:37 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

i get told that too lol

Jun 29 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

FemmeArt wrote:
Hmm, were you sitting/squatting at the time?  Maybe they actually said, "You look like you're a-peein'..."

HA HA HA OMG!

Jun 29 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

This is an easy one to answer. Go to Google Images and punch in actress Sophie Marceau. In many ways she reflects that european look.

Sit inside a recent Buick or Cadillac and you will know you are in an American car. You might also suspect that you are in a rental car. Then sit in an Audi A-4 and you know you are in a European car. For us Latins (I am Argentine) cars (la máquina) have always been women so I think my comparison is relevant.
Alexwh

Jun 29 06 04:47 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

I'm Ukranian, and I'm constantly told that I look French.  I thought it was strange until I realized that Americans probably just say this to me because I'm tall, thin, fashionable, and most importantly, often smoking.

I think they mean it as a compliment.  Unless it's said with the tone that means Eurotrash...which would apply to the latter "definition" above.

xo!

Jun 29 06 04:49 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Kristen Holden wrote:
I'm Ukranian, and I'm constantly told that I look French.  I thought it was strange until I realized that Americans probably just say this to me because I'm tall, thin, fashionable, and most importantly, often smoking.

I think they mean it as a compliment.  Unless it's said with the tone that means Eurotrash...which would apply to the latter "definition" above.

xo!

First, you are BREATH-TAKING! Now that that's out of the way....

They usually say something like, "You don't look like you are from around here. You have a very European look." Now, I'm in Alabama ..... so I certainly look "different." But when I go home to MO or up to NC, I get the same thing. I just always wondered what it meant.

After reading your post, I think the way I dress may also have something to do with it. (I don't smoke though.) I'm not always "casual" like everyone else. I tend to always look pulled together even if I'm only going to Walmart. So, that may add to it.

Jun 29 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Since you don't appear to have a Hapsburg chin, it's probably a compliment.

Jun 29 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Just returned from living in London, where there's a massive influx of Eastern Europeans since the EC expanded. Your facial structure is similar to many Europeans for sure, Americans tend to have broader features. Also the clothing over there is different. (Everyone was wearing these pointy toed elf shoes for the longest time!) But 'European' is a very wide swathe, so most people here are probably thinking of European models they've seen in print and movies, unless it's someone who knows first hand. I'd take it as a complement, as Europeans are usually depicted as sophisticated and sexy.

Jun 29 06 05:22 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

starphotography wrote:
Just returned from living in London, where there's a massive influx of Eastern Europeans since the EC expanded. Your facial structure is similar to many Europeans for sure, Americans tend to have broader features. Also the clothing over there is different. (Everyone was wearing these pointy toed elf shoes for the longest time!) But 'European' is a very wide swathe, so most people here are probably thinking of European models they've seen in print and movies, unless it's someone who knows first hand. I'd take it as a complement, as Europeans are usually depicted as sophisticated and sexy.

Thank you for the great reply! Your post really makes sense.....and I have a TON of those pointy flat shoes....I like to pretend I'm Audrey Hepburn and mimic her style....I'm such a dork! smile

Jun 29 06 05:36 pm Link