Forums > General Industry > Cancellations

Model

R Sierra

Plano, Texas, US

I have had THREE Saturday cancellations in a row!  Two of which were for paid shoots.

When this happens, especially if they cancel the day before, I am left with nothing to do the next day.  Other photographers that want to work with me have already filled their day or are busy and not able to contact me back.

I have heard of photographers requiring a deposit, but what about a model?  A 25% deposit due 72 hours before a shoot sounds reasonable to me, because what if I have a $100 shoot and I have my hair styled professionally?  I have thick, curly, and wavy hair that takes a long time to straighten, so if I pay to have a salon do it with their high quality flat iron, then I won't be out any money.

Does this sound reasonable?

Jun 28 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Eddy Torigoe

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Roxy Dehart wrote:
I have had THREE Saturday cancellations in a row!  Two of which were for paid shoots.

When this happens, especially if they cancel the day before, I am left with nothing to do the next day.  Other photographers that want to work with me have already filled their day or are busy and not able to contact me back.

I have heard of photographers requiring a deposit, but what about a model?  A 25% deposit due 72 hours before a shoot sounds reasonable to me, because what if I have a $100 shoot and I have my hair styled professionally?  I have thick, curly, and wavy hair that takes a long time to straighten, so if I pay to have a salon do it with their high quality flat iron, then I won't be out any money.

i feel your pain.

Jun 28 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Roxy Dehart wrote:

Yes...it does.....why would your time be less valuable than anyone else's......from my standpoint I used to breakdown the fee into three parts.....a deposit, non-refundable if they break the contract.....the minute I walk onto the site....another third or I go home.....the final third when I deliver the material......

Of course now I'm digital....turn around times are much faster....so I tend to split things in two......deposit...balance.....

Jun 29 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Good idea

Jun 29 06 06:47 am Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

I used to pay models a $50 kill fee anytime a photo shoot got cancelled or postponed, but once I learned how heartlessly unreliable most models are I stopped that nonsense.

Jun 29 06 07:18 am Link

Model

R Sierra

Plano, Texas, US

The sad thing is, in this case the notorious model is the one who is being cancelled on!  I haven't cancelled one yet, and wouldn't unless my husband or I was in the hospital.  I don't understand why anyone would do something they don't take seriously.  If you want to be a model...show up!  It makes no sense not to.

Jun 29 06 07:30 am Link

Model

R Sierra

Plano, Texas, US

::sigh:: you can add another cancellation to the list.  That's four out of five gigs cancelled.  I haven't worked a Saturday for four weeks.  How can someone just forget that they were supposed to do something else?  Am I scaring people away?

Jun 29 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Roxy Dehart wrote:
Am I scaring people away?

Well I will say that the second paragraph of your portfolio would scare me away from booking you.  I feel that portfolio space is better utilized to tell people what you have done than telling them what you won't do.

Cancellations, especially on weekends, can be somewhat frequent at this time of year if you're not posing for professionals.  What reasons are your photographers giving for cancelling on you?  Are you taking gigs that are far way?  Cancellations rise in direct proportion to travel distance.

If you want to cut your cancellations, pair up with another female model.  Photographers seldom cancel a two-girl shoot.

Jun 29 06 06:18 pm Link

Model

R Sierra

Plano, Texas, US

The two girl idea, good idea!

I have to put out what I don't do in the open.  It allows only the ones who are going to respect my limits to come through.  If you need someone to do nude, don't waste your time on me.  I have exchanged e-mails with photographers before, only to be told that they only want to do nude.  I like to nip it in the bud and get it out there so we don't misunderstand.  I do up to implied nudity, and as one photographer said, I shouldn't have to show my goods to get somewhere, and he's right.  With all the genres there are, why can't I just do the ones I feel comfortable with?  But let's not get off topic.

The ones that cancel have various reasons.  They all know my limits, and have already decided what kind of shoot to do.  Most recently, it was lingerie.  He said he forgot but he had to help someone move.

This week, a photographer told me his wife was making him move out so he had to cancel.  This was actually quite reasonable, because he cancelled on Monday for a Saturday shoot.  Plenty of time.

Last week, it was because he booked another model and either forgot or he thought she would cancel and she didn't.

The week before, oh I forgot why but it was cancelled the day before.

The week before that, it was due to poor prep (it rained in Houston and he didn't get the cars he needed in because it was raining the day before).

All good reasons, most with little notice, all in a row.

I think I need to get some good pictures in my port so I get photographers that won't cancel on me, the serious ones.  Not to say anyone I've shot/scheduled is not serious, just I need more serious photogs.

Any models experiencing a heavy spell of cancellations also?

Jun 29 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Roxy Dehart wrote:

Totally reasonable.

Given the number of day before cancellations I've experienced as a photographer over the years ... just as frustrating, I'm sure ... let's say I charge you a 25% refundable deposit based on my rates ... and you charge me a 25% refundable deposit based on your rates ... and then ... and then ... uh .... uh, and then ....

darn ... why don't we just skip it and say we did.

Jun 29 06 09:47 pm Link

Model

Natalie Addams

Los Angeles, California, US

yes, the last three shoots, the photog. cancelled on me.

Two were going to pay me and one was tfcd. It frustrates me because we spoke many times beforehand to plan it out. then thay cancelled last minute.

-natalie

Jun 29 06 09:58 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

many photographers book extra gals off the net - asking too many... in case of no shows...ie the others flaked
I guess maybe you might have been unlucky that way, seems odd for photog to cancel at the last minute but not so much if they just cancelled you....
Beter luck next time
and thanks for pointing out how long it can take to get shoot ready!

Jun 30 06 02:02 am Link

Model

R Sierra

Plano, Texas, US

Joe Kozlowski wrote:

Totally reasonable.

Given the number of day before cancellations I've experienced as a photographer over the years ... just as frustrating, I'm sure ... let's say I charge you a 25% refundable deposit based on my rates ... and you charge me a 25% refundable deposit based on your rates ... and then ... and then ... uh .... uh, and then ....

darn ... why don't we just skip it and say we did.

If it's for tfp, I wouldn't charge a deposit.  If the photographer is the one paying me, I would.  I don't know if it's a good idea, but I know when the model is paying the photographer, sometimes she has to pay a deposit to book his time.  Why not the other way around if the model is the one getting paid?

Jun 30 06 08:59 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Now that you've stated the reasons for the cancellations, my next question would be are they interested in rescheduling? I would say that if any of them are offering a reschedule, then its probably ok. Most of their reasons were reasonable to a degree. If they flake on you twice then you KNOW there is an issue. Its really a case by case basis. I had 2 photographers cancel on me two weeks in a row. The first one was entirely unreasonable in my book and I would have to think very hard about rescheduling. The second one was dealing with a divorce and was honest and said that his budget got out of wack. If he offered to reschedule at some point, I would probably go for it. If he flaked a second time, then I'd write him off and keep on moving.

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for a deposit. Its hard to get people to see the positive side of that though. I think they are afraid that if you require a desposit that you'll just take the money and run. That to me is a little silly, but hey... It was suggested to me by a friend that I use paypal for the deposit since if there is a dispute, paypal is pretty good about refunding money.

I hope that you have better luck soon! I know how frustrating it is to have to reschedule and replan!!

Jun 30 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

If photographers who are getting paid require a deposit, models who are getting paid should be able to as well. The party getting paid, no matter which party it is, should be able to request a deposit.

Just because you're not a photographer doesn't mean you can't conduct your business like business.

Jun 30 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Roxy Dehart wrote:
I have to put out what I don't do in the open.  It allows only the ones who are going to respect my limits to come through.  If you need someone to do nude, don't waste your time on me.

Instead, consider responding with:

"I'm sorry, I don't do nude modeling, but I know some other models who may be available.  Why don't I take your contact information and I'll pass it along."

It's called networking and it works wonders for a model's career.  (It works great for photographers too!)  Notice how instead of just giving out your competitors' names you "hold the job in your hands for awhile" before passing it along.  This helps make people think of you first whenever a job comes up.

Many people here on Model Mayhem are looking for easy answers where they don't exist, but networking is the one easy answer that truly does work.

Jun 30 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

The photogs are flaky, and you have my sympathy. There's nothing wrong with you.. it's them. Flaky, flaky, flaky, and flaky. May their sensors be filled with dust bunnies, their lenses coated with dirt, and schedules be filled with no shows.

phcorcoran wrote:
Well I will say that the second paragraph of your portfolio would scare me away from booking you.  I feel that portfolio space is better utilized to tell people what you have done than telling them what you won't do.

Although it may scare some photographers, I don't think that's the case with the photogs who aren't shooting nudes. She went out of her way to say she's ok with implicit.

Besides, the photogs cancelled after booking her so I doubt that's it.

Jun 30 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

dissolvegirl wrote:
The party getting paid, no matter which party it is, should be able to request a deposit.

Every rational wedding photographer in the country gets a deposit for the shoot.

The problem is we continually read about photographers wanting deposits from TFP models.  So if the photographers get a deposit from the model and the model gets a deposit from the photographer, there ain't no deposit at all

You have it right though, it is reasonable to get a deposit whether the photographer or the model if you are the one who is getting paid.

The better solution would be for photographers and models both to be more committed to shoot dates so that neither cancels nor flakes.

Jun 30 06 10:33 pm Link

Model

Jenna C

Montpelier, Vermont, US

I thought about a deposit fee for paying shoots.
I think I'm going to do it.
Photographers do, so why not.

Jun 30 06 10:37 pm Link