Forums > Newbie Forum > Light meters

Photographer

TEKNOIMAGEZ

Rochester, New York, US

I was wondering if they are a good investment? I was thinking about getting a nice seikonic Light meter!! Any feed back would grealty be appreciated.

Jun 27 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Considering:

- the latitude for exposure error for digital is +/- 1/3 of a stop (translation: you need to be dead on or you will see a dramatic shift in your exposures.

- your in-camera meter uses a relfective metering system so it can be easily fooled in to exposing for something that can result in a under/over exposure.

- Most of the data for an images in toward the right end of a histogram, so it's in your interest to "expose to the right" but not to the point where you blow out highlight details. See
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutor … rams.shtml
and
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutor … ight.shtml

Doing this will ensure that you will also have great shadow detail.

With just these three consideration the one tool that can help you with achieving these objectives is a light meter. How? A calibrated light meter will give you an incident reading which which take into account the light hitting the subject not reflected back to the camera. Also it will not be fooled by the light composition of the shoot (for example shooting a subject in front of a window inside on a sunny day). Also the meter reading will give you a great starting point to use for exposing to the right and you can then use the camera's histogram to watch for blown highlights (Canon camera had a blinking area for blown highlights). I would also encourage you to shoot RAW files to give you maximum flexibilty for the images that you capture if your workflow can incorporate the extra work needed when using RAW files.

Hope this helps.

-

Jun 27 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Sekonic L 358 best bang for your buck! big_smile

Jun 27 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

TEKNOIMAGEZ

Rochester, New York, US

i would like to thank you for your feed back!! i guess i might just go out and get one today!!

Jun 27 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have the Minolta V...Does all I ever need it to do. The Sekonic does have more features though.

Jun 27 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

PHOTO-GRAFITTI

Los Angeles, California, US

I've got a Sekonic L-558R.........it's got so many goodies on it.  I am in love with this thing.  It's my new best friend on shoots.  Haha

Jun 27 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

global vision

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

i have a minolta V...it does what i need it to do..is very reliable...i had a couple of sekonics a few years ago and had some reliability problems...the newer ones may be fine though...havent looked at meters since i bought the V ..i guess i have had it about 5 years now

Jun 27 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

modaphoto

Possibly a piece of gear

you will put in the pile of

"gear you hardly use"

If you are shooting Canon a better investment, in my opinion, is the new 580ex
flash. Now that is a piece of equipt you will use everyday.

( you might say " I have a flash already", thats what I said with my 550ex.
Since getting the 580ex, it is so much better that now my 550ex is in the
"pile of gear never used")

Jun 27 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

nah nah Photo

Downsville, Louisiana, US

modaphoto wrote:
Possibly a piece of gear

you will put in the pile of

"gear you hardly use"

I agree with this..

TC

Jun 28 06 03:49 am Link

Photographer

James Bluck

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Terry Crunk Photography wrote:

I agree with this..

TC

It really depends on what type of work you do.  I very rarely use a light meter outside the studio.  In the studio, I find a flash meter invaluable.

Jun 28 06 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

with todays digital camera menus, white balance options and raw options, i doubt i could even find my light meter.
in studio i cord to a monitor and use it to dial myself in.

Jun 28 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

I use a Sekonic meter and Milonta color meter daily. I do not like to shoot without consulting them.

Jun 28 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

A spot meter for zone system work with a Wallace Expo disk to convert it into an incident light meter. My zone VI Pentax analogue meter is fine and reliable. I have a Gossen flash meter for the studio. I've had them both for 25 years of flawless operation. Nowadays there are even a couple of combo meters out there too that do everything.

Jun 28 06 11:01 am Link