Forums > General Industry > short or long?!? need advise

Model

Rachel Shay

Fullerton, California, US

Ok, so I would like to cut my hair to my shoulders and it would a very fun cut. Right now my hair is to the middle of my back with long layers. My only concern is that it would affect my modeling.

Would cutting my hair hurt my modeling at all?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/Pr … ini8pm.jpg

Jun 26 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

personal opinion?

Don't cut it...takes entirely too long to come back

Will it hurt your modeling? Only by virtue of the fact that you will need a whole new set of portfolio photos...don't want people booking you thinking you'll have long hair from looking at your port...

Jun 26 06 02:03 am Link

Photographer

Simmons Tobias Photo

San Francisco, California, US

keep it long.  long is the way to go in my opinion.  that image doesnt work btw

Jun 26 06 02:12 am Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

I usually prefer short hair but I think for your face shape long hair works best. I know a lot of more traditional photographers that prefer long hair anyway.

Jun 28 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Short!  Oh, I thought this was about skirts.

Jun 28 06 10:12 am Link

Model

Monika Maple

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DO NOT DO IT!  It takes a few minutes to cut it off, 2 hrs tops BUT MONTHS AND MONTHS to grow it back...then you hit the weird stage where it is neither short nor long and it is beyond unstylable.  If you dont mind investing in a couple good quality wigs, then go for it, but take it from me, it is a pain in the ass 3-5 months down the road.

Jun 28 06 10:19 am Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think you should cut off at least 4 inches.

Jun 28 06 10:49 am Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

Keep the length, buy wigs ...

Nemi

Jun 28 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

According to your portfolio, I think our hair looks good the way it is. I would not cut it. It can be wild and full, and it's a good balance for you overall. To cut it to your shoulders will make you look more ordinary. That's my opinion.

What helps or hurts your modeling is your personal effort and ambition, or lack thereof.

Do whatever makes you happy, then make the most of it. Project yourself from the inside out as you see yourself and as you want others to see you. Other people will just have to accept you for who you are.

Lots of hair is a nice design element in composition. It's psychologically attractive and it can amplify body language.

I can't photograph what's not there. Fake is not as nice as natural hair. More hair can make you look more petite by comparison to the volume.

Click Hamilton
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

Jun 28 06 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Gel or weave?

Jun 28 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

If you're getting work...ask the people booking you, what they'd think of your hair shorter... That will tell you if it would hurt your modeling....Only the people hiring you, or your agent, can tell you.
If no one's hiring you, and you have no agent...do as you will...

Jun 28 06 08:45 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Don't cut it

Jun 28 06 09:04 pm Link

Model

Chicago Model

Chicago, Illinois, US

Don't cut it. I have shoulder length hair, maybe a little longer and now I pay big money for extensions! Argh!

Jun 28 06 09:08 pm Link

Model

Ana Paula

It is only hair, is not like you are going to cut one of your limbs. It will always grow back!

Jun 28 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Sheesh!  You people gotta learn to think outside the box.  Live on the edge.  Take a chance.

I say cut it off.  All of it.  Then tattoo a five-o'clock shadow on there in the shape of male pattern baldness with a small Yin Yang symbol right at the top.  You will be the new name in couture head.

Jun 28 06 09:34 pm Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

Rachel Shay wrote:
Ok, so I would like to cut my hair to my shoulders and it would a very fun cut. Right now my hair is to the middle of my back with long layers. My only concern is that it would affect my modeling.

Would cutting my hair hurt my modeling at all?

My hair is long enough to sit on. My daughter used to have long hair, too. However, when she turned 16, she cut it to shoulder length. A few moments of cutting followed by a lot of regret. She was really upset to realise how long it would take to grow her hair back to how it had been. It also lost her the opportunity to model Japanese traditional hairstyles with me at the Victoria and Albert museum last summer, which she had enjoyed doing the year before.

You may be the exception, but everyone I know who has cut long hair short has regretted it. Long hair is an asset. It gives many options and can be a sensuous prop in its own right.

Before you make the decision, why not try out a short wig for a few days to see how you feel.

https://www.solloway.demon.co.uk/web_images/akemi_avatar_1.jpg

Jun 29 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Idol Images

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

I think it would be best kept long....but if you really want to knock 'em dead....get cornrows, with little beads at the bottom...yeah, that says professional model right there!  lol.  Nah, you should keep the hair long..you can always pin it up or use wigs if you want a short look and it doesn't take near as long to pull them off as it does to grow it back.

Jun 29 06 09:21 am Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

It is my personal opinion that nothing put years on a woman faster that a short haircut. That said, if you decide to cut it, you could always get extensions for any project that requires long hair.....

Jun 29 06 05:45 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

I think you should cut it. I think it takes a strong women to pull of short hair and I always love to see that in a model! However, no one here can make the choice for you.

Jun 29 06 05:49 pm Link