Forums > General Industry > do black photgraphers perfer ass shots more ?

Photographer

jackfrost

Austin, Indiana, US

I ask this as a black photographer myself (accept Im british) , and well it seems most photogs who are of the urban world do alot of ass shots . is it a standard thing here on mm ? I see other photographers doing more than just ass shots and getto style photos with black afro americans . so whats up ? just had to ask this qustion , Im learning america as best as possible .

Jun 25 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

SIMS/F11

Decatur, Georgia, US

now if i could speak for others i would say that
we are just highlighting a part of beauty in our women.
perhaps i could ask white image takers.. why do you focus on the breast so much?

Jun 25 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

jackfrost

Austin, Indiana, US

good point mate ! never thought of it like that ............................

Jun 25 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

James Mosley - M Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Well ---- I am sick and tired of the,"Ass shot" ---there is some much more to the female model --- Oh --I am American and live deep within the urban setting

Jun 25 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Perez

Brooklyn, New York, US

Do a search of topics in the forums on this subject because this has been disscuss quit abit.

Incase you do not know where to search go to forums and look at the bottom and type the topic.

Type:Booty or Ass

Jun 25 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

JQ:FIYAR

Southfield, Michigan, US

No. It depends on the models you're shooting, who your audience is and what the models best features are. I rarely shoot ass shots as it's been done to death and I like to show other aspects of a models look. Now as a red blooded male I don't mind an ass shot, but it's not what dominates my port or future agenda. I like twists on classic looks so I like to review fashion history and update the concepts.

Jun 25 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Had I known you were Black I would have really torn you a new one on
your recent thread advising models.  Just kidding.  I'm Black and I don't focus
on the booty.  All butts aside. (okay I'm corny) many Black men tend to be partial
to big behinds.  Not all mind you.

Jun 25 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

B L O P H O T O

Chicago, Illinois, US

jackfrost wrote:
I ask this as a black photographer myself (accept Im british) , and well it seems most photogs who are of the urban world do alot of ass shots . is it a standard thing here on mm ? I see other photographers doing more than just ass shots and getto style photos with black afro americans . so whats up ? just had to ask this qustion , Im learning america as best as possible .

Not to be rude, but your statement holds the same logic as any stereotype. I see what you refer to as "ass shots" in portfolios of all ethnicities. And to be honest one generally asks a open question to find an "open" answer. Your current question is already answering your question to a degree.

Jun 25 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

SIMS/F11

Decatur, Georgia, US

oh yea i agree.
however no one questions the value of pam anderson.
her boobs stay in our face.
it's not race but it is you dig.

Jun 25 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BLoPhoto wrote:

Not to be rude, but your statement holds the same logic as any stereotype. I see what you refer to as "ass shots" in portfolios of all ethnicities. And to be honest one generally asks a open question to find an "open" answer. Your current question is already answering your question to a degree.

You're not being rude.  It was a stupid question.

Jun 25 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

FRESH MEADOWS, New York, US

its been my experience that greek phtographers like the ass shots, me I am Sicilian and German  the italian in me prefers the..... Oh never mind.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.photographersportfolio.com/currentbook
http://www.stepheneastwood.com/
http://www.nyphotographics.com/   
718-591-1218

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

nevermind.....................................................//

Photographer

jackfrost

Austin, Indiana, US

hmmmmmmmmm , well no matter I just found out what I wanted know , who are some of  the brathas on mm , beside tal and sivad ! it's good to know there are as many of of us out here on mm ! just had to figure a way to get a calling out . so i wrote this ! hope no one is upset , just wanted to know i wasn't alone .

Photographer

SIMS/F11

Decatur, Georgia, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:
nevermind.....................................................//

yea right

Jun 25 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

SIMS/F11 wrote:

it's easy being a knucklhead over the pc,huh

I use mac :-P

I was going to be a smart ass but changed my mind.

Jun 25 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

this thread is pretty insulting BTW.

Jun 25 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kris Perry Photography

Placentia, California, US

Mphotographer wrote:
Well ---- I am sick and tired of the,"Ass shot" ---there is some much more to the female model --- Oh --I am American and live deep within the urban setting

I feel you on that one. We know what our sister's got going on back there, but enough is enough can we show them in a better light?

Jun 25 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

runswithwind

Panglao, Central Visayas, Philippines

you mean there are people who don't like a nice ass shot.............wow........never would have thought.............or nice tits...................or both is even better.........lol

Oh, I ain't black") I'm kind of red!

Jun 25 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Antoine McAdams

Irvington, New Jersey, US

Mphotographer wrote:

Someone who actually agrees the "Ass Shot" is overrated...some guys just use photography to get gurls to show it off...there is really no big deal over it...hmm

Jun 25 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

I dont think think that all of us prefer the "back shot".. Sure we may have one or two, but personally that is not my focus...

Jun 25 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

SIMS/F11

Decatur, Georgia, US

Photographer

SIMS/F11

Decatur, Georgia, US

no go ahead and show your true colors

Photographer

James Mosley - M Studio

Not saying that I don't like a nice shot here and there --- but I have to provide impressive images to an interenational clientel --- that can't be done with a web page and or book overloaded with Ass shots

Jun 25 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

nureign

Roswell, Georgia, US

not this topic again

Jun 25 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

Kris Perry Photography wrote:

I feel you on that one. We know what our sister's got going on back there, but enough is enough can we show them in a better light?

that would require them to have to learn how to be creative, and thats something none of them want to even think about doing.

Jun 25 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisPaul- Chrispimages

Los Angeles, California, US

i preffer side shots the butt looks bigger like that.....
neutral

Jun 25 06 06:47 pm Link

Model

Nina Brown

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

I think there is a big confusion about what is modeling today.  For many A.A. aspiring models, it means being in a hiphop video with the ass out. What happened to accentuating and appreciating other aspects such as smooth flawless skin and overall beauty.  And no disrespect, but i think many photographers play into this by re-assuring models that they are "model material" by focusing on their bodies.  Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but a beast is a beast is a beast...

Jun 25 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

Nina Brown wrote:
I think there is a big confusion about what is modeling today.  For many A.A. aspiring models, it means being in a hiphop video with the ass out. What happened to accentuating and appreciating other aspects such as smooth flawless skin and overall beauty.  And no disrespect, but i think many photographers play into this by re-assuring models that they are "model material" by focusing on their bodies.  Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but a beast is a beast is a beast...

thats because alot of THOSE photographers are generally dudes who never got play in their high schools or colleges (if any of them even went to college), and probably dont get any play in their neighborhood, therefore they think theyre going to "be big pimping" via picking up the camera, but as some of us know, real dudes dont need a camera or photography gimmick to pull women. but yeah, that stuff youre mentioning would require them to be creative and think for a second, and thats too much thinking. just think - some of them dudes have graduated from college with degrees - how the hell do you graduate from college with a degree and become a one-dimensional photographer?

Jun 25 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Kris Perry Photography

Placentia, California, US

Chuck Holliday wrote:

that would require them to have to learn how to be creative, and thats something none of them want to even think about doing.

Exactly!!! I guess it's not that hard to shoot those shots huh??........wink

Jun 25 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

jackfrost wrote:
hmmmmmmmmm , well no matter I just found out what I wanted know , who are some of  the brathas on mm , beside tal and sivad ! it's good to know there are as many of of us out here on mm ! just had to figure a way to get a calling out . so i wrote this ! hope no one is upset , just wanted to know i wasn't alone .

???

Jun 25 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It is understood that Brazilians look at a woman's rear end before anything else. For American tastes Brazilian women seem to be a bit too heavy down there. For Brazilians they are perfect.
Alexwh

Jun 25 06 07:24 pm Link

Model

Jermea Jackson

Houston, Alaska, US

No matter how we try to act like race doesn't matter., for some reason, there's still at times a major difference. I'm a senoir, and after attending 7 highschools total, including ALL black, and ALL white schools, you come to see a huge difference. The black community has a negative view on the traditional run way model. They try to embrace a woman with curves. Usually black women are proud to have a big butt, and are insecure when they're skinny (my mother). Then you have other races who like being skinny, and would die if they had a J.Lo booty. A black, usually "urban/hiphop/men's magazine", photographer is taking shots of what "HE" thinks is sexy. A black woman with a fat ass in a thong/g-string, to him? Ha..ART...lol!

Jun 25 06 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Jermea wrote:
No matter how we try to act like race doesn't matter., for some reason, there's still at times a major difference. I'm a senoir, and after attending 7 highschools total, including ALL black, and ALL white schools, you come to see a huge difference. The black community has a negative view on the traditional run way model. They try to embrace a woman with curves. Usually black women are proud to have a big butt, and are insecure when they're skinny (my mother). Then you have other races who like being skinny, and would die if they had a J.Lo booty. A black, usually "urban/hiphop/men's magazine", photographer is taking shots of what "HE" thinks is sexy. A black woman with a fat ass in a thong/g-string, to him? Ha..ART...lol!

Thanks for being so honest and so brave to mention this.

I recently left a job working a company that shoots in nightclubs throughout the Chicago area. We shot for the club and promoters, and also sold to the clientel, shooting and printing on the spot. The majority of the clubs I shot at were African American clubs (I am white.) . I would say at least 50% of the women who asked me to take their photo posed in a way to highlight their butt - and I don't mean subtly, either. And some of these women were, to be very honest, very large women. They would bend over, crouch down, sometimes even pull their pants down a bit to show their thong underwear.

What I could never figure out was if they were posing like this becasue they thought it was sexy, or if they would pose that way because they assumed others thought it was sexy.

I really think a lot of it has to do with what we are inundated with in the media - white girls are taught to be skinny, and African American girls are taught to show the ass. God forbid anyone can just be attractive by being themselves these days.

Jun 25 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

jackfrost wrote:

Why is this even a question in your head?

What purpose does it serve?

Jun 25 06 11:49 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

SIMS/F11 wrote:
why do you focus on the breast so much?

That is a good point. Hustler and Maxim like boobs. King and Smooth like the booty. Its a nice balance, I think. smile

Jun 25 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Alfred Long

Dallas, Texas, US

Look,

Empress Oprah has declared that a big booty is one of the signs of a healthy body. So let it be said, so let it be done.

Jun 25 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Can you make this anymore racially biased and ignorant?   Do blacks eat more fried chicken?  Watermelon?  Seriously... this only serves to inflame... have a clue... and some sense.

Jun 26 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

What dumbass asked this?  We all love ass.

Jun 26 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

jackfrost wrote:
I ask this as a black photographer myself (accept Im british) , and well it seems most photogs who are of the urban world do alot of ass shots .

As a certified assman (graduate of the famous Charles F. Booty University), I admit to be a fan of a tight, shapely posterior of the female anatomy.

I also work extensively in the black community and observe first hand how brothers freak out over supersized, soulfood created, big booties...

It's not my cup of tea, I must admit.

But, yeah... the bigger the behind, the more brothers get excited... there is a huge market and where there is a market, there are brothers who like to "deliver"... and, as I must report out of experience and first/second hand accounts... a lot of flesh to dig in.

Black photographers who specialize in booty... get more laid than anybody else... and won't get sued for sexual misconduct and abuse...

Those guys just know how to deal with such sistas.

Toodles!

P.S.: I shot Rip The Runway, and at the afterparty... I witnessed the female friend of a close model of mine who got a big booty to be shot by several photographers... Guess what! All five dudes asked her for the same pose... kneeling on the bench or sofa and arching her back, doing a booty shot with her slightly showing her face... all of that within about 30 minutes or so.

Jun 26 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

If it's shapely I'm shootin' it no matter what color!

Paul

Jun 26 06 12:54 am Link