Forums > General Industry > how to approach agencys

Photographer

Fat Daddy Productions

Temecula, California, US

How does one get approached by agencys to start shooting for them? any help along this would be appreciated!

Jun 22 06 02:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Evey E

North Hills, California, US

I don't think an agency will approach you, you have to approach an agency.  I haven't heard of a case where agencies are the ones scoping for their stylists, unless they are far beyond qualified, I would say.  But who knows, anything can happen.

Jun 22 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

QM Photography

Manassas, Virginia, US

Evey E wrote:
I don't think an agency will approach you, you have to approach an agency.

So, how do you become an agency photographer?  (or stylist)

Jun 22 06 02:34 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Evey E

What you could also do is call any local modeling agencies and ask to test with their newly signed models.  Yeah, it's TFP and TFP sucks, BUT you get good pictures, with good models and you just might turn out to be their top pick for a stylist and you know word of mouth is BIG and the rest might turn out to be history.

Jun 22 06 02:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Evey E

Sorry, wasn't paying attention, in your case, photographer.

Jun 22 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

QM Photography

Manassas, Virginia, US

How do agency tests work, exactly?

I ask because I'm only familiar with Internet TFP/TFCD arrangements and I'd like to know what the agency standard rules are.

Jun 22 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

N8R Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Basically, you walk in the door and ask them...Usually on the days that their open calls are scheduled for.  Or you can check their website and find who their bookers are and try to contact them directly for an appointment.  They'll want to know if you are working w/stylists and if you have a studio or not.  Then they'll look at your book, if they like what they see they'll give you a compcard of someone to test for them, in my case it was a runway model who was segwaying into the print side of things and needed a good headshot.   I think I might have gotten a little lucky because I already had 2 models that the agency represented in my book at the time and they liked what I had of them..

Jun 22 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

QM Photography wrote:
how do you become an agency photographer?

much like for prospective models, generally an agency - (check with who interests you) - will have some procedure by which they can check out your work (i.e., drop off your Book for viewing) and then they'll let you know whether they're interested ...

can be helped by checking out their website, your homework, to see what type images they're using to market their talent, then showing them that you're capable of producing those kind of images.

g'luck!

FML

Jun 22 06 05:43 pm Link