Forums > General Industry > Shutting off your brain...

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

How?  or What do you do to shut down your brain for the night.  I know if I've had a really productive or creative streak of a few days I just can't get to sleep, and ideas keep flowing through my head no matter what I try, so I end up staying up.

What do you do to shut off the thought process?

What do you do to start it back up in the morning?

Jun 21 06 03:07 am Link

Model

Sara Danielle

Tylenol pm!!! Take one! No hang over, good sleep, and no addiction! Or warm milk! ;*) Thats the best I got!

Jun 21 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

To shut it down-Watch typical prime time tv especially really bad sitcoms

To start up the process again-Read some really good photography books or books on Art History

Jun 21 06 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

James Jackson wrote:
if I've had a really productive or creative streak of a few days I just can't get to sleep, and ideas keep flowing through my head no matter what I try, so I end up staying up.

same here. if i've got some new concept, light pattern, whatever, burning through my mind i can't sleep. used to get my girflriend up in the middle of the night to help me test it. that didn't last. sigh.

when i told a doc friend that, he tried telling me maybe i was on the edge of Bi-Polar. NOT.

be balanced somehow man. find what works for you. if it's "work" that works for you, get it out of your system & then grab a power nap to catch up.

stay healthy & keep creating images! kudos!

FML

Jun 21 06 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

write it down.  if it still seems like a good idea in the morning, try to do it.

it's not as easy with music, because recording it is the musical equivalent of writing something down--and once you're recording, you're fucking recording.  sometimes it can take 10 or 12 hours to fully extract an idea from my head to the point where i'm content enough to give sleeping another shot.

i've always suffered as a result of pervasive music in my head while trying to sleep, and as a result, i have terrible insomnia.  i've been taking lunesta for the past few months.  it's supposed to help "turn off that restless mind."  it's more like a gigantic bioluminescant butterfly is sitting on your head sucking your brains out of your ear through its proboscus.

Jun 21 06 03:39 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Brian Ziff wrote:
it's more like a gigantic bioluminescant butterfly is sitting on your head sucking your brains out of your ear through its proboscus.

Yeah my girlfriend and I both agreed that taking lunesta was probably a bad idea for me because if I started seeing green butterflies while laying in bed I'd just try to photograph them and thus, no sleep that way either.

Jun 21 06 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

James Jackson wrote:
What do you do to shut off the thought process?

Dunno 'bout me, but the evidence in the OTF seems to be the OTF itself turns off thought processes for most folks. smile

I slow things down by reading before going to sleep. Reading something either technical (no plot, just facts), or serious fluff (no stress).

James Jackson wrote:
What do you do to start it back up in the morning?

I'll let you know if it happens. smile

Jun 21 06 05:02 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Wait....soon as I'm finished.......cough, cough, cough, ...inhale, inhale...cough, cough....aahhh...that's better......now what were we talking about???????

Jun 21 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

try to get phisically exhausted either by doing sport,
or well, you can knock your brain off, with adrenaline from pain, but it's highly addictive and it's not a good cure smile

Jun 21 06 07:44 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I either start thinking about the meaning of life, or just watch Adult Swim.

Jun 21 06 08:14 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Have you tried any form of meditation? Sometimes it helps me to breathe in an easy rythem and count, or repeat a word to help focus myself on relaxing. Sometimes it works better than others.
I don't know that there is a good cure for not being able to fall asleep easily sad

Jun 21 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

so looks like the categories of solutions are either medicinal, traditional remedies (which are semi medicinal), exertion, or boredom.

Boredom worked for me last night...If I watch a tv show with commercials I get so bored during the commercial that I nod off...a whole half hour show has enough commercials that I'll stay asleep eventually, but the problem is I'm staying at my mother's house for a few days and the couch isn't comfortable and there's no TV in the bedroom she's given me.

So ouch, woke up at about 5 am with a crick in my neck, and had to go back to bed.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Jun 21 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

some kind of meditation?

just a thought ...

FML

Jun 21 06 12:22 pm Link